The Student Room Group

Weekend job at greggs

Hi everyone,

I recently have been offered a job at Greggs, I went to my induction today and have been told that I start work next Saturday at 9am.
I was just wondering if the probation/training period is really hard?
Like is the theory side of things easy?
Also the "Basic ingredients" booklet, is that hard to complete?

Many thanks
-alevelarehard1

P.S willing to answer any questions anybody may have about the application process, interview included.
Reply 1
Original post by Alevelsarehard1
Hi everyone,

I recently have been offered a job at Greggs, I went to my induction today and have been told that I start work next Saturday at 9am.
I was just wondering if the probation/training period is really hard?
Like is the theory side of things easy?
Also the "Basic ingredients" booklet, is that hard to complete?

Many thanks
-alevelarehard1

P.S willing to answer any questions anybody may have about the application process, interview included.

If it's a normal team member role where you work at the front (serve customers and do bake offs) it's pretty straight forward and easy.

However if you're a team member to be sandwich maker - It can be pretty stressful as you have to make a specific number of sandwiches in a set amount of time.

The theory is really easy and straightforward. Nothing to worry about :smile:

Hope this helped - Don't mind asking other questions you might have either :redface:
Reply 2
how did you apply for greggs? was it an in store application or did you apply online?
Reply 3
Original post by 4keven4
how did you apply for greggs? was it an in store application or did you apply online?

It's usually online :smile:
Reply 4
I've just recently applied for a team member position at Greggs in a new shopping complex which is opening relatively close to where I live. I applied for the position on the 3rd September it closed on the 10th September. It says on the website you'll usually hear back within 7 days of applying, but wouldn't it make more sense 7 days after the closing date? This just confused me as it said on my profile that the application was updated on the 10th, but I can't see anything specific what has changed.

Ultimately, I just wondered how long it took to hear back after you applied, and did you hear back before or after the closing date?

Sorry for the long wall of text.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I've just had a craving come on for one of their pasty's. Mmmmm :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by James_23
I've just recently applied for a team member position at Greggs in a new shopping complex which is opening relatively close to where I live. I applied for the position on the 3rd September it closed on the 10th September. It says on the website you'll usually hear back within 7 days of applying, but wouldn't it make more sense 7 days after the closing date? This just confused me as it said on my profile that the application was updated on the 10th, but I can't see anything specific what has changed.

Ultimately, I just wondered how long it took to hear back after you applied, and did you hear back before or after the closing date?

It was around 1-2 weeks after the deadline for me :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Serena17
It was around 1-2 weeks after the deadline for me :smile:

Awesome, thanks for the information :smile:
Hey

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I actually applied about 2 weeks before the cut off date and heard back about a month later, so about 2 weeks after applying! Don't worry if you haven't got a reply yet, greggs tend to contact you whether or not you are given a job offer, so you should get one soon.

Heads up, greggs are really swift with their application process, I was told I had the job on Wednesday and started my first day on Saturday.
Original post by Serena17
If it's a normal team member role where you work at the front (serve customers and do bake offs) it's pretty straight forward and easy.

However if you're a team member to be sandwich maker - It can be pretty stressful as you have to make a specific number of sandwiches in a set amount of time.

The theory is really easy and straightforward. Nothing to worry about :smile:

Hope this helped - Don't mind asking other questions you might have either :redface:

Ah thank you so much! 😋
Reply 10

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I actually applied about 2 weeks before the cut off date and heard back about a month later, so about 2 weeks after applying! Don't worry if you haven't got a reply yet, greggs tend to contact you whether or not you are given a job offer, so you should get one soon.

Heads up, greggs are really swift with their application process, I was told I had the job on Wednesday and started my first day on Saturday.

I see, thanks for making this thread and giving us some insight. I haven't heard anything back at the moment, although I did apply on the 3rd September and my application status was last updated on the 10th September which was the closing date.
Reply 11

Don't worry if you haven't got a reply yet, greggs tend to contact you whether or not you are given a job offer, so you should get one soon.

Sorry if this is a bit late, but how did they contact you to arrange an interview? Also, did your application status change from processing when they had arranged an interview?
What type of questions were you asked at the interview?
I applied online and got a call right the same day, about few minutes later they called to arrange an interview with me.
Anyway long story short, I got the job and went for my induction. The first day I took my booklet with me so the whole day I was just filling out some forms and then they showed me how to work the till without serving costumers because it would be on a training mode. But I started serving costumers the second day with a guidance from my team member, working the till isn't that hard I just wish that I could remember where each product is. It's a bit confusing because I have never bought most of my sandwiches and pasty's from there.
Can someone help me how to remember the products? I guess I have to practice it occasionally.
Original post by Mariama_J
What type of questions were you asked at the interview?

Its literally my 3 month anniversary since working at Greggs, so forgive me if I cant remember much of the actual interview process, but what I can remember is

1. If I asked your closest friends to describe your personality, what would they say?
2. What do you know about Greggs?
3. Why do you want to work at Greggs?

The area manager interviewing me, spoke for most of the interview if I am honest with you, he told me about how he got into the business and ended up as area manager.

it is a really chilled, laid-back interview, nothing to worry about, so relax. I also wore a skater dress, with black tights and ballerina flats, just in case you were wondering.

They also offer you a free hot drink!
Original post by martha.darko94
I applied online and got a call right the same day, about few minutes later they called to arrange an interview with me.
Anyway long story short, I got the job and went for my induction. The first day I took my booklet with me so the whole day I was just filling out some forms and then they showed me how to work the till without serving costumers because it would be on a training mode. But I started serving costumers the second day with a guidance from my team member, working the till isn't that hard I just wish that I could remember where each product is. It's a bit confusing because I have never bought most of my sandwiches and pasty's from there.
Can someone help me how to remember the products? I guess I have to practice it occasionally.

Hey, when I had first started I was worried too about remembering all the pasties and cakes, especially because there a couple of products that have more than one name e.g. the Cornish pasty (beef and vegetable pasty, I didn't know this when I had started). Anyway one of my co-workers offered to stick tabs on the different products to help me during my first couple of weeks. Maybe you can ask your shop manager to do the same?
It took me a few of weeks (mind you I am only a weekend member) to know the name of all the pasties and bakes.

The only thing I really have problems with at the moment is being able to tell the different types of bread loaves, I am guilty of ringing through guesses. but hopefully I will have learnt them before the new year.
I see, thanks for making this thread and giving us some insight. I haven't heard anything back at the moment, although I did apply on the 3rd September and my application status was last updated on the 10th September which was the closing date.

Hi, did you end up getting the job?
Hi,
Yeah it's a bit hard to remember it all when you work on the weekends only.
They did help me with that (sticking tabs).
I just had my shift today and I did it alone while asking my co-workers around what is what 😆 but it went very well.

Good luck with your job. You'll surely remeber everything very soon.
You can also go to Greggs website and look up at their menu.
It helps me to remember. 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending