The Student Room Group

Attempting to study Sociology AS on my own. Some questions, tips and guidance please!

I won't explain my situation in too great a detail but I'm studying A2 Business Studies in college and going to attempt to do a Sociology AS at home, upon finishing the next year on top of the A levels I have I'll have points to do the degree i want to do.

I've started studying the subject a couple of weeks ago through a textbook I bought. I have questions I'd like to ask however, hopefully some of you may be of some great help to me.

1. I understand you have some choice about the questions you do in the exams, can someone if possible go into detail about the exams, how the choice of questions work etc?

2. In terms of the essay writing can someone give me the structure that should be used?

3. Are there any great resources either through websites or those you've created yourselves to aid your revision. This would be a big help.

4. Anything I should or be aware of about the exams, exam questions etc etc that may help me?

Hopefully my questions are clear enough. There were a couple of questions I wanted to ask but they've escaped me. Any help at all would be fantastic as although I have a textbook to work through and I can search up some questions through google I'm sure there's some things that are going to be difficult for me to find out on my own.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Daniel6
I won't explain my situation in too great a detail but I'm studying A2 Business Studies in college and going to attempt to do a Sociology AS at home, upon finishing the next year on top of the A levels I have I'll have points to do the degree i want to do.

I've started studying the subject a couple of weeks ago through a textbook I bought. I have questions I'd like to ask however, hopefully some of you may be of some great help to me.

1. I understand you have some choice about the questions you do in the exams, can someone if possible go into detail about the exams, how the choice of questions work etc?

2. In terms of the essay writing can someone give me the structure that should be used?

3. Are there any great resources either through websites or those you've created yourselves to aid your revision. This would be a big help.

4. Anything I should or be aware of about the exams, exam questions etc etc that may help me?

Hopefully my questions are clear enough. There were a couple of questions I wanted to ask but they've escaped me. Any help at all would be fantastic as although I have a textbook to work through and I can search up some questions through google I'm sure there's some things that are going to be difficult for me to find out on my own.

Hello

I am a qualified teacher teaching AS Sociology.

I tried to recommend a book with exemplar answers that would really help you.

Unfortunately, the moderator here wouldn't let me post but I wish you good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by alep
Hello

I am a qualified teacher teaching AS Sociology.

I tried to recommend a book with exemplar answers that would really help you.

Unfortunately, the moderator here wouldn't let me post but I wish you good luck.

Thanks for the reply, that's a shame you weren't allowed to post it. Any other way you could send me that information, by pm or email?
Reply 3
Well it's published by Collins
Reply 4
Which Units are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by alep
Which Units are you doing?

Well if I'm just doing AS I assume you only do units 1 & 2? I've only began studying myself for 2 weeks so my knowledge overall isn't fantastic yet if I'm wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes one & two but there are options there too.

Family, Education ...?

The books I am refering to cover each unit separately.
Reply 7
Student Support Materials for Sociology - AQA AS Sociology Unit 1: Families and Households
£5.99
Reply 8
Original post by alep
Yes one & two but there are options there too.

Family, Education ...?

The books I am refering to cover each unit separately.

I have only just started looking over previous past papers and did note how you have to pick certain questions in regards to certain topics, I haven't picked any option though. Should I still cover all topics when studying or just focus on particular ones?
Reply 9
Each unit focuses on one topic eg education , family.

You chose what to study.

You haven't said what board?

You need to look at the specification for that board and I can try and send you a link.
Reply 10
Original post by alep
Each unit focuses on one topic eg education , family.

You chose what to study.

You haven't said what board?

You need to look at the specification for that board and I can try and send you a link.

AQA, I'm studying from an AQA textbook also.

So far I've just been working through the textbook. I took Sociology AS a few years back for a few months and dropped it for reasons, can't remember ever having to pick what I study though so not sure how that works exactly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is there a sociology teacher in your college you can ask? The spec has just changed so all of my knowledge is unfortunately on the old way we did exams
Reply 12
Yes and some are compulsory.

You won't have chosen a topics because your teacher did.

I agree that you need advice from someone at your college so that you study the correct content.
Reply 13
Original post by alep

I agree that you need advice from someone at your college so that you study the correct content.

you can still do the old syllabus right? I want to retake some units on my gap year but on the old sylllabus? Is that possible because I heard that the this is the final year to retake!
Reply 14
Original post by xxvine
you can still do the old syllabus right? I want to retake some units on my gap year but on the old sylllabus? Is that possible because I heard that the this is the final year to retake!

Yes, as far as I am aware, you can as re-takes.

You are just re-doing what you have already studied with a teacher/lecturer previously?

Make sure you go along and discuss with the exams officer though.

Check out the books I recommended above.
Reply 15
Original post by alep
Yes, as far as I am aware, you can as re-takes.

You are just re-doing what you have already studied with a teacher/lecturer previously?

Make sure you go along and discuss with the exams officer though.

Check out the books I recommended above.

I have this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-AS-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007972

do you still reckon that i should buy the ones you have recommended?
Original post by Daniel6

I done the same units as you for AS level, im assuming you'll be studying the education unit too.

exams- depending on what board you are with i.e Aqa, you have a choice on certain questions, if im right i think for the family unit you only have a choice in what exam question you choose for the 24 marker. The other questions are set (AQA bored, its worth while finding out what exam board you are battling with and then looking at past papers this will keep you well aware of how they determine your doom).

essay structure- while this may not be used for every sociology student. I was taught to first begin with an intro that briefly outlines what you are going to be talking about through out the essay. Maybe write a few concept names that you'll mention through out. Essay's are usually set on specified topic areas, breaking down the question in the intro will help you keep focus.

Through out the rest of the essay talk about certain concepts that you think will link to the question. We used a PEAL system, which is point, concept, evidence/example then Linking it to the next PEAL paragraph. This helps the essay to flow. I also recommend essay planning.

I hope this helps
Reply 17
Original post by xxvine
I have this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Succeed-AS-Sociology-Complete-Specification/dp/0954007972

do you still reckon that i should buy the ones you have recommended?

I reckon they are more detailed & have 'C' grade answers which (believe it or not) are very useful for comparison.

I would, if you have the money.

They came up at the bottom of the page when I clicked on your link.
Reply 18
Original post by alep
I reckon they are more detailed & have 'C' grade answers which (believe it or not) are very useful for comparison.

I would, if you have the money.

They came up at the bottom of the page when I clicked on your link.

Have you seen the 'succeed at as sociology' revision guide?

is it this one you recommend? Student Support Materials for Sociology - AQA AS Sociology Unit 2: Education with Research Methods by Martin Holborn????
Reply 19
Original post by Inexorably
Is there a sociology teacher in your college you can ask? The spec has just changed so all of my knowledge is unfortunately on the old way we did exams

I thought about that but I don't know if they'd be all that willing to help if I'm not their student, worth thinking about though.

Original post by alep

So what are the choices of topics? I have a textbook that covers everything I believe so I can just study the necessary topics.

Original post by 2pacsChild
I done the same units as you for AS level, im assuming you'll be studying the education unit too.

exams- depending on what board you are with i.e Aqa, you have a choice on certain questions, if im right i think for the family unit you only have a choice in what exam question you choose for the 24 marker. The other questions are set (AQA bored, its worth while finding out what exam board you are battling with and then looking at past papers this will keep you well aware of how they determine your doom).

essay structure- while this may not be used for every sociology student. I was taught to first begin with an intro that briefly outlines what you are going to be talking about through out the essay. Maybe write a few concept names that you'll mention through out. Essay's are usually set on specified topic areas, breaking down the question in the intro will help you keep focus.

Through out the rest of the essay talk about certain concepts that you think will link to the question. We used a PEAL system, which is point, concept, evidence/example then Linking it to the next PEAL paragraph. This helps the essay to flow. I also recommend essay planning.

I hope this helps

Thanks that was helpful, gives me a better idea of how to structure the essays.

-------------------

I think overall I'm still a little unsure of exactly what I'm meant to be studying in regards to their apparently being choices. I think once I get a better idea I'll be to get on with it more as the content itself seems easy enough.

Quick Reply