The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
Usually do but on poverty internet and it took an hour to upload them so cba'd :P

Noted re form, thanks.

Haven't video'd a squat for 10 months or something so could be that my form has deteriorated generally...

Trimming before uploading makes them upload faster. :wink: smaller files etc.

Get much much tighter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Trimming before uploading makes them upload faster. :wink: smaller files etc.

Get much much tighter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm in temp accommodation for two weeks and the internet is terrible. On 150 Mb cable upload times aren't an issue :wink:

Tighter where? I tense core but never consciously thought about anywhere else. I guess upper back is tight.
Original post by illusionz
Yeah, I'm in temp accommodation for two weeks and the internet is terrible. On 150 Mb cable upload times aren't an issue :wink:

Tighter where? I tense core but never consciously thought about anywhere else. I guess upper back is tight.

The forms not that bad. Although yes you can see your descent even (on 2nd) and 3rd are a bit less tidy - bottom position slightly worst.

Pretty much tense core, but that can and does mean a lot of things.

Great 30 minute (lmao) video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw

Also I wouldn't say you're going so heavy its dangerous, form looks ok tbh. But that rep speed imo is a bit slow for general training, idk how often you do that - but generally that should be on the infrequent side unless ur just a slow dude who grinds, then maybe its normal for you.
I mean I don't even get that tight on my pauses, this is 200 with short pause and low-medium tension:

https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xft1/v/t43.1792-2/11733028_10155961623655554_434420939_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjE1MDAsInJsYSI6MTAyNCwidmVuY29kZV90YWciOiJoZCJ9&rl=1500&vabr=343&oh=d2498d35924a77ba862154accda0a39f&oe=55FC88F9

And I wouldn't want to do more than a double with it, I don't think slow reps are that useful (ymmv). I think if your position sucks due to tightness then work on that, but tightness in itself isn't as big a problem - my pauses are done extremely different from comp squat, I just try to push with my legs with just enough core tension, nothing crazy tight. But I can hold positions quite well even with heavy weight - its high bar and less bent over and my leverage's are pretty good for the lift.
Original post by redbuthotter
The forms not that bad. Although yes you can see your descent even (on 2nd) and 3rd are a bit less tidy - bottom position slightly worst.

Pretty much tense core, but that can and does mean a lot of things.

Great 30 minute (lmao) video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw

Also I wouldn't say you're going so heavy its dangerous, form looks ok tbh. But that rep speed imo is a bit slow for general training, idk how often you do that - but generally that should be on the infrequent side unless ur just a slow dude who grinds, then maybe its normal for you.

Don't do pausies regularly, in fact only done them twice ever at non warmup weights.

Can often grind out quite a lot but don't tend to do so on squats that often because grinding squats is horrendous. Paused reps are always slow for me too, perhaps because I rarely do them, and I don't think I'm ever a huge amount quicker on the ascent even without pauses.

tbh I probably need to think about tightness properly in all of my lifts. I've never really bothered and just lifted. Should start using belt again and finish breaking it in...
(edited 8 years ago)
First session at QMUL.

Squats
No mirror which feels strange but ultimately must be a good thing.

140*4,4,4

Bench
80*5
90*1
95*6,5,5 PB (previous 3,4, of which 4 was a 4RM PB)
5 and 6 rep PB, 3*5 PB

Gains. **** yes.

Deadlifts
180*3,3,3

Rows
80*5,5,5,5,5
Light squats as hockey tomorrow
100*5,5,5

Bench
80*5
90*1
100*2,2,2 PB
90*5,5,5
Only benched 100 once before, over a year ago and a massive bounce. Pleased with recent bench gains.

Rows, CGBP and chins.

Lots of pretty serious lifters at this gym, never seen so many oly shoes.
Nice man

Nearly at my all time PB!
Original post by Angry cucumber
Nice man

Nearly at my all time PB!

I think a part of it is that the bench is much better than my old gym. At gymbox the benches were really hard and slippery which meant that a good arch was very difficult because my shoulders would slip away. I can get a much better, tighter arch here which really helps.
Hockey on sat and mon

Moved house today so no time to train yesterday or today. Will hit the gym up again tomorrow.
Bench

80*5
90*2
96*4,4,4,4,3+f damnit. Ah well still a PB.

Deadlifts
150*5
170*3
190*3,3,3,3

Rows
80*5,5,5,5
60*10,10,10

No arm work needed. No squats as jarred knee playing hockey.

99% sure I saw xyz today. He wanted to swap bars cos I had a good one and was only benching lol.
Two hockey matches yesterday, was exhausted.

Weighed myself this morning. 94 kg lol.

Should really cut but it's a horrible experience.

Hopefully an upper session later today, legs still tired and knee a bit sore from hockey yesterday, and have training tomorrow.
Yesterday:

Bench up to 90 5x5

Deadlifts (belted to break it in more) 160 x3,3,2 (then had to take off belt because its ****ing hard to get into position and kinda sore), 2 more in the same set.

Machine rows

Today:

Cycled 9 miles on new bike (Boardman Hybrid Comp)

Hockey training
Today, quick session as was going out for dinner. Cycled 4.5 miles commute.

Paused bench
90 5x5

Machine rows
75 kg 5x5
Couldn't train thursday unfortunately.

Hockey match sat

Hockey tournament on sunday (2.5 hours of matches lol)

Had an hour to kill today so used crappy gym at Charterhouse Sq (like DBs up to 30 kg and two benches). Did incline and rows.

Hockey training tonight.

For anyone thinking that hockey 3 days in a row sounds like poor programming - I'm playing for both a club and QMUL at the moment so thats why.
Too tired to lift today. Done a huge amount of cardio this past week and need to give my body a day off to recover. Match day tomorrow as well.

At least I did some incline and rows yesterday...
Original post by Angry cucumber

Want to lose fat :tongue:

I'm not consciously cutting or restricting myself though. Eating when hungry but hoping extra exercise will shift me into deficit.
Trained quickly thurs as hungover but not worth logging.

Today
Quick session in **** gym after lectures.

DB incline bench
Up to 30s 4*5, paused

Clean, sit down, incline cg bb bench (diy barbell but only the little folding benches) probably a stupid exercise but yolo.
50*8
60*7,7,7,7

Press
40*5,5
45*5,5

Hard after lots of incline (plus my press is poor)

Barbell rows
50*10
70*10,10,10,10,10

Home. Hockey tonight.
Hockey wednesday

Yesterday

Paused inc DB
30 x 9, 8, 8, 6

Leg press
165x5
195x9,7,5

BB rows