The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine 2016?!

hi everyone,

I'm a gap year student about to take another year out and I am really stuck of where to apply for undergraduate medicine this year for 2016 entry. I am taking another year out for various reasons and here is just a breakdown of my application:

GCSE: 5A* (maths, triple science), 5A (English), 2B, Triple Distinction
went to underachieving school / below national average
AS: AAAA (chem, bio, maths, history)
A2: AAA (chem, bio, maths)

Work experience / volunteering:
- charity shop
- teaching / volunteering in year 6 for 6 months
- teaching / volunteering at weekend language classes- restaurant (both years of college) was offered management position - W/E on wards, A&E, with physiotherapists / occupational therapists
- currently work as HCA in a hospital on cardiac ward (helped and learnt lots here i.e patient care and pathway from start to end, emergency situations, infection prevention, policy and procedures, role of Dr's, junior doctor roles etc) for roughly 1 year
- also currently work as support worker for adults with learning disabilities for roughly 1 year

other:
- basketball team in secondary school
- recreational badminton in college
- used to organise events in community / seminars at temple
- involved in community quite a lot, attend temple, groups etc
- care for 2 family members atm who are very ill (one is terminal & degenerative)

I will be sitting both the UKCAT and BMAT (for first time this year). In the past haven't done so great on UKCAT got 2510 last year. My personal statement is quite good and reflective, finding it hard to incorporate all of family events that have happened suddenly this year

Last year applied to: Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster, Exeter... got an interview for Bristol early on but no offer. they said they very much liked my personal statement

year before last applied: Southampton (access), brighton and sussex, Liverpool and got interview for brighton and sussex but no offer.

Any help or advice would be great please and also alternative courses to medicine???

THANKS!!!
Reply 1
any suggestions anyone?
Original post by tath
hi everyone,

I'm a gap year student about to take another year out and I am really stuck of where to apply for undergraduate medicine this year for 2016 entry. I am taking another year out for various reasons and here is just a breakdown of my application:

GCSE: 5A* (maths, triple science), 5A (English), 2B, Triple Distinction
went to underachieving school / below national average
AS: AAAA (chem, bio, maths, history)
A2: AAA (chem, bio, maths)

Work experience / volunteering:
- charity shop
- teaching / volunteering in year 6 for 6 months
- teaching / volunteering at weekend language classes- restaurant (both years of college) was offered management position - W/E on wards, A&E, with physiotherapists / occupational therapists
- currently work as HCA in a hospital on cardiac ward (helped and learnt lots here i.e patient care and pathway from start to end, emergency situations, infection prevention, policy and procedures, role of Dr's, junior doctor roles etc) for roughly 1 year
- also currently work as support worker for adults with learning disabilities for roughly 1 year

other:
- basketball team in secondary school
- recreational badminton in college
- used to organise events in community / seminars at temple
- involved in community quite a lot, attend temple, groups etc
- care for 2 family members atm who are very ill (one is terminal & degenerative)

I will be sitting both the UKCAT and BMAT (for first time this year). In the past haven't done so great on UKCAT got 2510 last year. My personal statement is quite good and reflective, finding it hard to incorporate all of family events that have happened suddenly this year

Last year applied to: Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster, Exeter... got an interview for Bristol early on but no offer. they said they very much liked my personal statement

year before last applied: Southampton (access), brighton and sussex, Liverpool and got interview for brighton and sussex but no offer.

Any help or advice would be great please and also alternative courses to medicine???

THANKS!!!

You'll be in a better position to decide where to apply after you do your UKCAT. Your other stats look good though. I'd suggest having a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

The most important thing is to apply to your strengths.
Reply 3
Original post by usycool1
You'll be in a better position to decide where to apply after you do your UKCAT. Your other stats look good though. I'd suggest having a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

hey, thanks for replying.

yeah I've used that the last two years I have applied but really unsure as my application seems pretty rounded and the only part that would excel is maybe work experience / clinical skills. I doubt I will get much higher than last year on the ukcat but we shall see.

I was thinking of taking the BMAT this year and applying to brighton and sussex
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1

Hi,

so I didn't do as well as i thought i would in UKCAT, got 2450 which is a 612.5 avg. can anyone recomend universities to apply to that don't use the ukcat so much? Pearsons have annotated my result to say that there was some extenuating circumstances at home that may have had an impact on the outcome of my performance but not sure as to how much universities will take notice of this.

do you think it is worth me doing the BMAT?

thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tath
Hi,

so I didn't do as well as i thought i would in UKCAT, got 2450 which is a 612.5 avg. can anyone recomend universities to apply to that don't use the ukcat so much? Pearsons have annotated my result to say that there was some extenuating circumstances at home that may have had an impact on the outcome of my performance but not sure as to how much universities will take notice of this.

do you think it is worth me doing the BMAT?

thanks

From what I'm aware of, Bristol do not consider UKCAT
Reply 6
Original post by greyoyy
From what I'm aware of, Bristol do not consider UKCAT

Hey,

Yeah bristol use 20% academics 80% Personal statement. But thats the only non-ukcat or non bmat uni i can apply to really so stuck on the others.

Thanks
Reply 7
Can anybody suggest where I'd be ok to apply with these stats:3a* 8a* 1cUkcat 692.5 band 1Doing ib with predictions of 40/45Currently looking at Newcastle Southampton Exeter barts Manchester st George's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending