The Student Room Group

What kinds of things do I need to take to university?

I'm applying to move away to uni in 2016 and I need some advice.

I have no idea what to take with me. I have mental health issues and I require my own room with a bathroom and the ability to keep my two tanks of small pets and food in my room.

Do I need to/can I bring my own furniture?
Are most beds double or single?
Do I need a fridge?
Storage?
Can I bring my bed?

What are the essentials for uni?

I have no idea where to start.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlpacassoQueen

I have no idea what to take with me. I have mental health issues and I require my own room with a bathroom and the ability to keep my two tanks of small pets and food in my room.

Do I need a fridge?
Storage?
Can I bring my bed?

If you're planning to go into student accommodation then you can probably get an en-suite though be aware it's much more expensive. However you won't be allowed any pets. They simply won't care if you have fuzzy sentimental reasons or if they help your mental health problems, they're just not allowed. If it's not a service dog you're out of luck. Private accommodation can be more understanding, but it's still unlikely.

Most flats/ houses/ accommodations are completely furnished so you won't need to bring any furniture with you. If unsure just give them a ring and check.

Double bed rooms will be more expensive than single bed rooms in student accommodation, though if you go private I've found most beds are double.

As above you will almost definitely be supplied with a fridge.

How much storage space is available to you will depend on each accommodation, flat or house. So check, but it will likely be minimal.

Unless you need your own special bed for medical reasons, it's highly unlikely you'll be permitted to remove the provided bed and install yours, as for one their bed will need to be stored somewhere. In my first year accommodation the bed fame was actually installed into the wall, so it wouldn't have been possible to change my bed.

Essentials will be; anything you need for your course, bedding, toiletries, your own food (unless in catered accommodation) and personal items. Anything else will depend on your accommodation. Some student accommodations provide kitchen items like pots, pans and plates. Others you have to bring your own. It will be much easier to give you more relevant advice once you've applied for your accommodation and know where you will be living.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
If you're planning to go into student accommodation then you can probably get an en-suite though be aware it's much more expensive. However you won't be allowed any pets. They simply won't care if you have fuzzy sentimental reasons or if they help your mental health problems, they're just not allowed. If it's not a service dog you're out of luck. Private accommodation can be more understanding, but it's still unlikely.

This is very useful, thank you!

For my mental health reasons it would not be possible to use any room with carpeting, a shared bathroom/kitchen or second hand/used furniture. Do you know if it is possible to get shared or entirely isolated housing for students that do allow small pets and do allow students to furnish it themselves?

It's starting to look pretty much impossible that I'll be able to go to university if not...

For my mental health reasons it would not be possible to use any room with carpeting, a shared bathroom/kitchen or second hand/used furniture. Do you know if it is possible to get shared or entirely isolated housing for students that do allow small pets and do allow students to furnish it themselves?

It's starting to look pretty much impossible that I'll be able to go to university if not...

You'll have to look at private accommodation - every university I know of has shared kitchens in student halls, and the furniture will have been used before unless it's a completely new building (and there will be carpet in most). I think you need to look at renting an apartment or house that's not intended for students, but rather everybody. You could then furnish it yourself, and some will allow you to have pets. However, this will be very expensive and you'd struggle to find someone to live with and split the rent, as you most likely won't know anyone well enough who goes to the same uni as you.

Essentially - you're going to need a lot of money, you're going to need to look at the private sector, and you're going to have to do thorough research.
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE="AlpacassoQueen;59442205"]

I'm going to be honest with you. Nope.
Your needs are far too specific (and expensive) for accommodations to cater for you. Unless you have a lot of disposable money and are able to rent out your own studio apartment (so your own kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room) and then you are able to spend even more money on new furniture, and then remove carpet and replace it with non carpet flooring (which many landlords and property owners won't allow). Then I'm afraid you're not going to be able to find anywhere.
[QUOTE="SophieSmall;59442497"]

I'm going to be honest with you. Nope.
Your needs are far too specific (and expensive) for accommodations to cater for you. Unless you have a lot of disposable money and are able to rent out your own studio apartment (so your own kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room) and then you are able to spend even more money on new furniture, and then remove carpet and replace it with non carpet flooring (which many landlords and property owners won't allow). Then I'm afraid you're not going to be able to find anywhere.

I've found some accommodation available for this year as a guide and they're actually not much more expensive than shared housing (about 1-200 more) and they cater to all of my needs just in a different university

I've found some accommodation available for this year as a guide and they're actually not much more expensive than shared housing (about 1-200 more) and they cater to all of my needs just in a different university

And is that cost including having to buy new furniture?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by doctorwhofan98
You'll have to look at private accommodation - every university I know of has shared kitchens in student halls, and the furniture will have been used before unless it's a completely new building (and there will be carpet in most). I think you need to look at renting an apartment or house that's not intended for students, but rather everybody. You could then furnish it yourself, and some will allow you to have pets. However, this will be very expensive and you'd struggle to find someone to live with and split the rent, as you most likely won't know anyone well enough who goes to the same uni as you.

Essentially - you're going to need a lot of money, you're going to need to look at the private sector, and you're going to have to do thorough research.

Thank you this is very helpful. I have managed to find some places as a guide that do seem to cater to everything I need that are studio apartments! so it seems doable
[QUOTE="SophieSmall;59442963"]

And is that cost including having to buy new furniture?

My new furniture has been ordered and I will use it where I currently live until and pay for it to be transported next year (which I can get pretty cheap as I know the person who does this). The money is just the pcm rent inc bills.

Seeing as I don't want a TV, this will also cut out the need for a TV license :smile:

My new furniture has been ordered and I will use it where I currently live until and pay for it to be transported next year (which I can get pretty cheap as I know the person who does this). The money is just the pcm rent inc bills.

Seeing as I don't want a TV, this will also cut out the need for a TV license :smile:

well, if you're sure you can afford it.

Most can't.
well, if you're sure you can afford it.

Most can't.

The money isn't really a concern if I'm honest.
Is living at home an option for you? Because you have so many specific requirements it may be easier (and a lot cheaper) to live at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em211997
Is living at home an option for you? Because you have so many specific requirements it may be easier (and a lot cheaper) to live at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately where I live the closest uni that offers my course is around 2-3 hours away at least :/ I looked at commuting but it would take nearly 3 hours and 2 trains and 3 buses each way so it seems like a better choice to live there
Unfortunately where I live the closest uni that offers my course is around 2-3 hours away at least :/ I looked at commuting but it would take nearly 3 hours and 2 trains and 3 buses each way so it seems like a better choice to live there

Oh dear well if you can afford to live privately plus all the additional living costs I would say to go privately but start looking early to avoid disappointment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do I need a fridge?
Storage?
Can I bring my bed?

First of all you'll always be able to have your own room, you'll never be forced to share rooms. Not that I've ever heard of in the UK. In your first year you'll usually stay in halls and with this you'll be able to get a room with an en-suit so you'll have your own bathroom however if you live in halls you will NOT be allowed to have any pets in your room. You can attempt to rent a student house but even then, landlords are quite strict, so, if possible, you may need to look at keeping them at home.

As for your questions:
Furniture: If you are living in halls, they are usually furnished with a bed, wardrobe, desk, chairs etc therefore there isn't a lot you need to bring but you can bring furniture if there is room, however, if you go to renting a student house, you can get furnished or not furnished.

Beds: It depends again, in halls some halls are all double beds, some are all single and then some are mixed as mine were, I ended up with a double though. Again with renting a student place, if it's furnished it just depends what they offer or if it's not furnished you'll get your choice.

Fridge: You'll never need a fridge. In halls kitchens are always shared and they'll always be a fridge provided and if you are living in rented housing then they'll provide a fridge, even if mostly unfurnished I believe. Student wise anyway.

Storage: You'll have multiple different types of storage in halls, whereas in rented accommodation you can bring your own - well you can bring your own storage in both. Like I said, they'll be wardrobes and what not.

Bed: If you are moving into halls, no. You can't bring your bed to halls because beds are provided, I've never heard of a halls were they aren't. If you are looking for rented student accommodation and it's unfurnished then yes, you can bring your bed. Even if it's furnished, you can still say that you want to bring your bed.

Essentials: Clothes, kitchen stuff: pots, pans, knives and forks etc, bedding, bathroom stuff etc. Just think of what you use at home and apply that to moving out.
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
First of all you'll always be able to have your own room, you'll never be forced to share rooms. Not that I've ever heard of in the UK. In your first year you'll usually stay in halls and with this you'll be able to get a room with an en-suit so you'll have your own bathroom however if you live in halls you will NOT be allowed to have any pets in your room. You can attempt to rent a student house but even then, landlords are quite strict, so, if possible, you may need to look at keeping them at home.

Not possible at all to leave the pets at home and I definitely don't want to live in halls anyway because I wouldn't feel safe with people staggering in drunk at 4am.

I think I'll definitely look into the private accommodation, it seems the best for me! :smile:
Reply 16

Not possible at all to leave the pets at home and I definitely don't want to live in halls anyway because I wouldn't feel safe with people staggering in drunk at 4am.

I think I'll definitely look into the private accommodation, it seems the best for me! :smile:

What uni is it you're hoping to go to, if you don't mind me asking?

I've seen private accommodation in Newcastle that almost ticks all the boxes (studio apt, has its own kitchen and bathroom, no carpets) but it's furnished. Like practically all student places are.

I'd advise you look on rightmove, zoopla etc for non-student private accommodation, 1 bedroom flats/apts for example. My friend is doing the same thing; she's currently paying about 400 pm for a small 2 bedroom flat in Manchester. Pets are an issue, but not so much if they're in a cage. If there's private accommodation you want but it says no pets allowed, I'd recommend you call and ask them (from my experience, caged animals were ok).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by k3ro
What uni is it you're hoping to go to, if you don't mind me asking?

I've seen private accommodation in Newcastle that almost ticks all the boxes (studio apt, has its own kitchen and bathroom, no carpets) but it's furnished. Like practically all student places are.

I'd advise you look on rightmove, zoopla etc for non-student private accommodation, 1 bedroom flats/apts for example. My friend is doing the same thing; she's currently paying about 400 pm for a small 2 bedroom flat in Manchester. Pets are an issue, but not so much if they're in a cage. If there's private accommodation you want but it says no pets allowed, I'd recommend you call and ask them (from my experience, caged animals were ok).

Wow this was extremely useful, thank you!

I think Newcastle offer my course (Japanese Studies) I was looking at Sheffield and Oxford Brookes or Aberystwyth for Creative Writing. Sheffield seems to have MUCH cheaper rent and you get a lot more for your money.

I will definitely have to look at Newcastle. Most of these student places are bills included. There's no reason why my pets should be a huge issue, I only have a hamster and two giant snails (cage and tank)
As for pets we have a private accomdation flat that says no pets but by that they are perfectly happy with a hamster when we asked so it all depends how flexible a landlord is but hamsters should be easier to take with you to private accommodation than say a dog would:smile: make sure you start looking early for private accommodation if you can.
Original post by claireestelle
As for pets we have a private accomdation flat that says no pets but by that they are perfectly happy with a hamster when we asked so it all depends how flexible a landlord is but hamsters should be easier to take with you to private accommodation than say a dog would:smile: make sure you start looking early for private accommodation if you can.

Thanks a lot :smile: I mean, I can't really see what trouble/damage a hamster and some snails could case if they live in a cage and a tank. My form tutor at the moment says they shouldn't be an issue as they're not cats or dogs, etc.

I'm going to talk to her again and she if she can advise of anywhere.

Quick Reply