The Student Room Group

Footballers deserve their salaries.

- Their level of skill in their entertainment industry are so very rare.
- They are role models for generations of young people. They set the trends, the modes of behaviour.
- They represent their countries and what talent that country can produce. They can be a source of national unity.
- The market has such a demand for them that their prices are justified.

Do you agree with the views that the wages are too much?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
- Their level of skill in their entertainment industry are so very rare.
- They are role models for generations of young people. They set the trends, the modes of behaviour.
- They represent their countries and what talent that country can produce. They can be a source of national unity.
- The market has such a demand for them that their prices are justified.

Do you agree with the views that the wages are too much?

Agree with you. If someone is willing to pay that much then of course they are 'worth' it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The wages aren't justified at all in my view, neither are the transfer fees though that's usually because of agents and (as you said) the current market (TV deals, billionaire owners etc.). I suppose it depends on how the players allocate their wages, Drogba for example has put a lot of money towards supporting projects in Africa like his own training academy, Ronaldo also came out as the sport star who donated the most in a recent report and so those types of players are role models. Footballers (rightfully) have a bad reputation with off the pitch antics, feigning/exaggerating injury and arguing with the ref, managers for not letting them secure a big money move, other players etc. That whole confrontational aspect in football at the moment does not serve as a good role example for kids/young footballers. It can be a source of national unity but it is often alcohol fuelled and short lived given our record in tournaments haha!
(edited 8 years ago)
Radamel Falcao deserved £285,000 a week? Topkek m8
Don't compare footballers to doctors... Footballers are paid by billionaires and we pay the doctors through tax, we simply cannot afford to pay doctors much more than what they're getting now. If doctors got as much the economy would fail.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yes, they are paid a ridiculous amount of money. All they do is run around a field kicking a ball, yet they are paid more than other people like doctors who actually do useful jobs. I personally think it's disgraceful...
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yes, they are paid a ridiculous amount of money. All they do is run around a field kicking a ball, yet they are paid more than other people like doctors who actually do useful jobs. I personally think it's disgraceful...

lol this argument again, gonna mention servicemen next am i right?
Reply 6
From a meritocratic point of view entertainers really don't in general.

From a capitalist point of view though, they really do.

Conflicted.
Reply 7
Not the English footballers...
Football has global appeal as entertainment, so the market for football is enormous. The volume of TV audiences mean advertisers want to get on board, it's worth a lot of TV broadcasters who sell subscriptions because people will buy it and it's a hobby of very rich people who want to pump money in to the game.

So the question is, given that the market is so big and the product is worth so much, who should get it.

It's either the players or it's the club owners, or its the peripheral people like agents and so on who cream money out of it.

Unlike a lot of fields, the workers (players) actually have a lot of market power here and aren't subject to having their wages driven down by owners who are enjoying most of the profits. Actually owning a football club isn't very profitable, the super rich buy football clubs as a hobby to spend their money not a way to make money. So given the amount of money in the game, there are a lot of profits to be made and the profits will go somewhere - so if not to the players who should get them...?

Now the other argument is about the level of inequality in society and whether footballers, bankers, property magnates etc should have so much and whether it's right that over time a greater and greater proportion of wealth in society is being concentrated at the top. That's not just a football argument though, and that's about the extent to which government should intervene by increasing taxes at the top to use the extra revenue for social investment, public services etc.
Players like Ronaldo and Messi do, but you'll find it hard to justify Rooney's wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Davalla

- They are role models, but hardly good ones. *Spitting, fighting, racial disputes, private affairs brought onto the pitch, etc.

Nice one picking the minority, list me some current good role models and i'd be happy to find some examples against it, but then you forget to mention how much charitable work footballers do. On pitch actions don't reflect a footballers personality in the slightest so its meaningless to even mention it in most cases.
Doctors involved in sexual abuse
Radio/TV presenters involved in kiddy fiddling
Bankers altering interest rates
Soldiers killing innocent civilians
Police officers taking bribes

etc.
Tbh if I earnt as much as Balotelli, I would just not give a ****, fireworks everydayyyy.
Why is this only an issue for footballers? Even Messi and Ronaldo earn **** all compared to some top movie stars or even other sportsmen. Go look up any ''highest paid athletes'' list and there's hardly any footballers in there. Yet nobody complains about what Lewis Hamilton or Tom Cruise earn!
Reply 13
It's simple economics, supply and demand. Demand is ridiculously high for world class players. When that's the case and you work in a billion pound industry you're going to earn proportionately more than others in society.

As for do they deserve? I would say yes. They put a lot of training and hard work from a very young age so if it pays off for them then who's to complain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It all comes down to this; millions of people all over the world pay a lot of money every week to see them play so they get this allocation of money because without them, football is nothing.

Doctors may be important but there is no shortage of them and they don't generate billions of pounds for economies.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Nice one picking the minority, list me some current good role models and i'd be happy to find some examples against it, but then you forget to mention how much charitable work footballers do. On pitch actions don't reflect a footballers personality in the slightest so its meaningless to even mention it in most cases.

etc.

OP said "they set the ... modes of behaviour". I referred to on pitch and off pitch behaviours that will accumulate to reflect a personality, or at least perceptions.

You say "Nice one picking the minority" but then list
"Doctors involved in sexual abuse
Police officers taking bribes"

So I'll say to you then, nice one picking the minority.
:sigh:
These athletes are in the top 0.0001% in their own field. The top 5000 or so players are on high wages, the top 100 on £300,000 a week. The fact is if you're one of the top 100 CEO's, bankers, real estate agents, architects, or any other skilled in demand profession you WILL be on the same high wage.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

etc.

However, all the professionals that you have listed are actually way more useful than footballers (maybe with exception of Radio/TV presenters).
Original post by Davalla
OP said "they set the ... modes of behaviour". I referred to on pitch and off pitch behaviours that will accumulate to reflect a personality, or at least perceptions.

You say "Nice one picking the minority" but then list
"Doctors involved in sexual abuse
Police officers taking bribes"

So I'll say to you then, nice one picking the minority.
:sigh:

Yes, and many do.

But I'm not using those examples to support the fact that those people are not role models, in fact most are but you get the exception to the rule (which you have highlighted and then used to support the fact that all footballers generally are not good role models which is illogical).
Original post by 0123456543210
However, all the professionals that you have listed are actually way more useful than footballers (maybe with exception of Radio/TV presenters).

irrelevant to what I was saying but no doubt they are, no one is arguing otherwise. You don't get paid based on how useful you are though.

Latest