The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queen-bee
I'm sure it's common sense. Only if they're guilty. Same goes for all kids. But to single out this particular kid and make a big deal because he happened to be black and a Muslim. Despicable.

Lol 'Only if they're guilty'... you got to be trollin son.
I'm sure it's common sense. Only if they're guilty. Same goes for all kids. But to single out this particular kid and make a big deal because he happened to be black and a Muslim. Despicable.

Only guilty people should be arrested?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Only guilty people should be arrested?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Innocent until proven guilty
Innocent until proven guilty

Is that a yes or a no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is that a yes or a no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you'd arrest an innocent person? That's a yes.
Original post by Namandi
LOL. There's already a thread about this.

Why is it disgusting that it was mistaken for a bomb?

USA doesn't mess around with security. That is common knowledge.

Once they suspect something could be a threat, they act accordingly.

Even if it is something as small as a pencil case or in this case, a handmade clock, they act accordingly.

Are they paranoid? Perhaps

Would they rather be paranoid than have parents mourning the lives of their children? Definitely

They didn't act accordingly, though. They didn't evacuate the school, as they should have done if they genuinely suspected a bomb. They left Ahmed and the clock alone in a room together. They called the police, but no bomb squad.
And the police apparently questioned Ahmed without his parents present, which I think is illegal as he's a minor.

It doesn't seem like they genuinely thought it was a bomb. It sounds like prejudice.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That shows your clear lack of understanding of how the law works then. People get arrested when there is reasonable belief that a law has been broken. If there is enough evidence they are taken to court to decide whether they are innocent or guilty. If evidence cannot be brought forward they are released without charge.

So by your logic nobody should ever be arrested as it is not up to the police to decide innocence or guilt.

Well yes, that's the entire point. You arrest someone if you have reasonable cause to do so, and then set about establishing their guilt or innocence. If they're innocent until proven guilty, every person is "innocent" at the point of arrest. I don't think the police make a habit of arresting anyone already somehow proven innocent.

Think that's what the other poster meant, anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe if he had told his science teacher about it then there would be no big deal but the news report said he brought it in without telling anyone so surely the unknown surprise played a part in him being arrested as the people went in to an alarmed state of panic u know what I mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was only a matter of time.
Too many right wingers on here trying to making excuses. How can you be so stupid to think that they didnt arrest him because he was muslim . OF COURSE THEY DID, you know for a fact had a white kid done that he would not be arrested. This was not being safe or genuine worry, they just want to fuel the fire for fear mongering and hatred of islam.
Original post by hasan6091
Too many right wingers on here trying to making excuses. How can you be so stupid to think that they didnt arrest him because he was muslim . OF COURSE THEY DID, you know for a fact had a white kid done that he would not be arrested. This was not being safe or genuine worry, they just want to fuel the fire for fear mongering and hatred of islam.

You're right, it was because he was Muslim. There's a sense of caution when dealing with Muslims, and rightfully so.
Original post by hasan6091

White children in the US have been arrested for much less than this. Some as young as 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Musie Suzie
They didn't act accordingly, though. They didn't evacuate the school, as they should have done if they genuinely suspected a bomb. They left Ahmed and the clock alone in a room together. They called the police, but no bomb squad.
And the police apparently questioned Ahmed without his parents present, which I think is illegal as he's a minor.

It doesn't seem like they genuinely thought it was a bomb. It sounds like prejudice.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly my point.
White children in the US have been arrested for much less than this. Some as young as 5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why was it not on the news? Arrested for what? Were they allowed to call their parents or were they denied this as Ahmed was.
(edited 8 years ago)
Why was it not on the news? Arrested for what? Were they allowed to call their parents or were they denied this as Ahmed was.

I agree that the whole thing was handled badly - they should have evacuated and investigated properly. However imagine if it had been a bomb - everybody would be saying "why didn't the teacher do anything" when he/she would be scared of being branded racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because going on a twitter and SJW crusade for a white boy named John isn't as attractive for the pseudo activists on tumblr. I'd be shocked if stuff like that made the local paper, let alone national headlines.
Original post by Musie Suzie
=
Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's not illegal. Police officers can talk to children, but they are not required to answer and can ask for their parents or for a lawyer to be present.
Exactly my point.

Why do you automatically assume prejudice?

Why don't you vehemently chastise Islamic extremists and the terrorist attrocities they commit together with the threat they represent, as changing the way people react to what is a real and present danger?

Stop playing the victim, it's just so sad and very misguided.

Latest

Trending

Trending