The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

She's dead.

I don't care about her, neither should we.

Her parents were stupid enough to leave the door unlocked so they could indulge in their culinary pursuits.

W A S T E O F M O NE Y
A
S
T
E
O
F
M
O
N
E
Y
Reply 101
Original post by tehforum
She's dead.

Her parents were stupid enough to leave the door unlocked so they could indulge in their culinary pursuits.

W A S T E O F M O NE Y
A
S
T
E
O
F
M
O
N
E
Y

"Culinary pursuits" herein meaning the Hanninal Lectering of their daughter Maddy.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Original post by jape
"culinary pursuits" herein meaning the hanninal lectering of their daughter maddy.

Posted from the tsr app - no updates since 2013!

and a nice chianti...
Should stop searching. Why does she deserve to have such an amount of money thrown towards her case when there are thousands of other kids who go missing, and whose families are in the exact same scenario?
Yeah, **** the government for using their money trying to catch child traffickers :stomp:

Imagine how much weed they could have confiscated if they'd put that money into fighting real crime.
cannot believe people on here are going on and on....I thought everyone sane would know it's statistically most likely the parents know exactly what happened to their daughter. I am not even on the ' justice for madeleine' bandwagon, I am just so sick of hearing about her and them. If they did accidentally kill their daughter...then so what....it's over now and nothing anyone can do anyway.
I think mainly it's the people who actually are gullible to believe Madeleine Mccann could be magically flying around the world and suddenly appearing in places like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa/ wherever ...out of nowhere...just makes me laugh so much as well as being shocked at stupidity of some people. I get it, that it isn't completely impossible that that could have happened but it's the most unlikeliest most laughable thing ever.
If some evil paedophile ring, or even some family desperately wanting to illegally get hold of a child there are so many easily available in EasternEurope/Russia - white blond caucasian children abandoned & ready for the taking ...why the hell would they bother some random crappy holiday apartment. Hasn't anyone seen the video with dogs either, no doubt she died in the room somehow - Gerry and kate panicked so must have left her there a while hence the death scent.
I don't get the media storm either? She seemed so bedraggled in pictures like the parents couldn't really be bothered - after going through all the expensive IVF and not realising how stressful it was going to be with 3 screaming kids under 4.
Reply 106
Original post by SmashConcept
Yeah, **** the government for using their money trying to catch child traffickers :stomp:

Imagine how much weed they could have confiscated if they'd put that money into fighting real crime.

Imagine how much weed they could have bought and given out to the general public. I tell you what, the London Riots wouldn't have happened.

If that was your own child, I think these responses would be a lot different
However if her parents just happened to have been with maddie that night, then money would have been saved
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrangeBanana
You keep justifying their actions with "loads of parents do xyz". It doesn't matter. Outside in the garden at home is a completely different situation, because it is your property, you know your way around it very well, and there's going to be very few entrances and exits. None of these is the case in a hotel, and each of them significantly lowers the risks of leaving your child unattended. What does "safe adults" mean, anyway? As far as a parent (or child, for that matter) should be concerned, no stranger is safe (disregarding police, firemen, et cetera).

Clearly, the authorities and hotel security screwed up big time, and the bulk of the blame lays on them and the criminals themselves, but the fact remains the tragedy could have been avoided if the parents had just been more responsible, so they are not blameless. They were in a foreign country, where vigilance is a necessity, and their daughter paid the price for its absence.

I didn't say they were completely blameless. The thread points I was responding to are those that claim money was badly spent pursuing the case and the justification usually put forwards is that the McCanns are somehow exemplars of bar parenting. My point is that the police investigate lots of abduction cases where the parents may have been lax, this is not that unusual on that point. Also, the child is not to blame if the parents are sloppy or lack diligence.
Original post by e aí rapaz
You hear a lot about this girl and her family getting special treatment etc. - does anyone actually know how many other young children that have gone missing in the last 15 years and not been found?

Hard to find pin-point stats but going by...

"the number of people in Britain who have been missing from family, friends and usual haunts for more than a year is at least 16,000 and could be as many as 20,000."

"Children make up the bulk of the missing persons reports in Britain." (albeit more of them are found in a shorter amount of time)

"At any one time, there are an estimated 1,000 unidentified bodies lying in the country's mortuaries and hospitals. Many have been there for years unknown, unclaimed citizens."

I'd assume from that you must have a good number of missing <18 yr olds not found/had bodies ID'd in the last 15yrs.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I didn't say they were completely blameless. The thread points I was responding to are those that claim money was badly spent pursuing the case and the justification usually put forwards is that the McCanns are somehow exemplars of bar parenting. My point is that the police investigate lots of abduction cases where the parents may have been lax, this is not that unusual on that point. Also, the child is not to blame if the parents are sloppy or lack diligence.

The point I was responding to was your calling criticism of the parents' methods victim-blaming, and subsequent attempted justification of their actions. If parents are to learn the lessons of this case, and behave properly, then we must not fret around the issue, but state the conclusion clearly: the girl's parents absolutely did the wrong thing. From your repeated defence of them, you seem reluctant to accept that fact.

As an aside, in my experience the arguments put forward against the money spent on the case are usually:
1. She's almost certainly dead by now
2. There are other missing children to worry about
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
The point I was responding to was your calling criticism of the parents' methods victim-blaming, and subsequent attempted justification of their actions. If parents are to learn the lessons of this case, and behave properly, then we must not fret around the issue, but state the conclusion clearly: the girl's parents absolutely did the wrong thing. From your repeated defence of them, you seem reluctant to accept that fact.

As an aside, in my experience the arguments put forward against the money spent on the case are usually:
1. She's almost certainly dead by now
2. There are other missing children to worry about

You have no evidence for your final two assertions.

On the question of what I accept or defend, I've read the evidence in detail unlike many people (including, visibly, many posters on this thread) and I don't believe they did anything remotely like neglect. They were a couple of minutes away from the children in what was widely taken to be a very secure environment. The sort of thing that many, many parents have done on similar holidays in similar locations. They were alternating regularly going back to check on them. Again, the sort of thing that many, many parents do.

As I said, the heat over this case constantly directed at the McCanns is a classic case of blame the victims and at the same time is self-centred loathing based on weariness over media exposure. The hate has no relationship to the actual facts of the case.

It also is (sadly) mildly defensive of active paedophiles, as there does seem to still be a tendency in abduction cases to assume that the child or the parents are somehow to blame. Paedophilia thrives in this atmosphere, where instead of directing hate and aggression to the perverted adults engaged in devious criminal abduction and torture of very young children, it is directed against the poor family themselves. Really loathsome reactions and the people having them ought to check their own personalities out and wonder why they want to support the actions of active child snatchers in this way.
You have no evidence for your final two assertions.

The ones numbered 1 and 2?

On the question of what I accept or defend, I've read the evidence in detail unlike many people (including, visibly, many posters on this thread) and I don't believe they did anything remotely like neglect. They were a couple of minutes away from the children in what was widely taken to be a very secure environment. The sort of thing that many, many parents have done on similar holidays in similar locations. They were alternating regularly going back to check on them. Again, the sort of thing that many, many parents do.

I'm going to say this one last time: "many parents do x" is not justification for action x if x is inherently irresponsible.

As I said, the heat over this case constantly directed at the McCanns is a classic case of blame the victims and at the same time is self-centred loathing based on weariness over media exposure. The hate has no relationship to the actual facts of the case.

I don't hate the girl's parents, but I'm not going to let my sympathy cover up the significance of their mistake. Obviously, anyone saying "death to the McCanns" or "the McCanns killed her themselves" is just being idiotic.

It also is (sadly) mildly defensive of active paedophiles, as there does seem to still be a tendency in abduction cases to assume that the child or the parents are somehow to blame. Paedophilia thrives in this atmosphere, where instead of directing hate and aggression to the perverted adults engaged in devious criminal abduction and torture of very young children, it is directed against the poor family themselves. Really loathsome reactions and the people having them ought to check their own personalities out and wonder why they want to support the actions of active child snatchers in this way.

Do they know that paedophiles were responsible? Of course blaming the child is laughable, but the parents, more often than not in these cases, could have avoided the tragedy if they had been more vigilant. People assuming that before seeing the facts of the case is clearly abhorrent, and is in no small part down to sloppy tabloid reporting, which can't really be prevented. I think it's a stretch to argue that criticism of the parents is supporting the criminals; we all know what they did was evil, what more needs to be said?
A couple of GPs leave their kids in a hotel room to go boozing and they weren't prosecuted?
Reply 114
Original post by jazjaz
A couple of GPs leave their kids in a hotel room to go boozing and they weren't prosecuted?

But their poor feels were so hurt :frown:

Liam Neeson couldve found her by now, smh
Reply 116
Original post by zxraaaa
Liam Neeson couldve found her by now, smh

Obviously Liam Neeson did it. That's why he hasn't turned her up yet.

Waste of time and money.

After all these years? Not been found , she's dead.

If she's still alive in years to come she may reveal herself but I highly doubt it.

Damn your country is wasteful could of been spent on other uses , searching for a child that won't be found is a catastrophic waste of money.
Original post by tehforum
She's dead.

W A S T E O F M O NE Y
A
S
T
E
O
F
M
O
N
E
Y