Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

X

Original post by fluteflute
X

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
X

Original post by studdybuddy101
X

To all of the above, thank you so much for your helpful answers to my questions! Looking at what you've said, I do agree that it's a bit silly to let my ethnicity stand in the way of making an application. After all, as the only black person in my year of 180 people, it's not exactly much of a difference :lol:

I went to the open day on Friday and absolutely loved Lady Maragret Hall. So I think I may apply there xD Once again, thank you for all of your help! :biggrin:
Original post by antigone-
In Oxford right now - very cold :frown: Anybody else in for the application day?

Well, I do live here :wink: yeah, it is cold and foggy at the moment :frown: What's the application day?
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to find the number of maths applicants/the number of places for each specific college for maths, not oxford as a whole? I'd like to apply for maths and a tutor at Oxford advised me not to apply for colleges with a high number of applicants per place but I can't find this info?
Original post by marthaklambert
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible to find the number of maths applicants/the number of places for each specific college for maths, not oxford as a whole? I'd like to apply for maths and a tutor at Oxford advised me not to apply for colleges with a high number of applicants per place but I can't find this info?

This info is actually available under the applications statistics part of the Oxford website, but just as a little input; from what everyone else, including the Oxford admissions folks who stalk this board have said numerous times over the last few months, popularity of colleges makes NO difference to your odds, so just apply to your preferred university because if you are right for Oxford, you WILL get a place, whether it's at your preferred college or not - your tutors advice is essentially unhelpful.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics

x
Reply 2324
Why is the GCSE requirement so high?? I have 54% A* is there no point applying??
Original post by Azula
Why is the GCSE requirement so high?? I have 54% A* is there no point applying??

If this is for Medicine (which I'm guessing it is from your posting history) then probably not, unfortunately. Nobody was admitted with lower than 60% A*s last admissions round and your chances of getting in are very low with lower than 90%. With a subject as competitive as medicine Oxford would probably be a wasted choice. I don't know why Medicine is so picky about GCSEs but they must have evidence to suggest that it helps with their course.
Reply 2326
Original post by Plagioclase
If this is for Medicine (which I'm guessing it is from your posting history) then probably not, unfortunately. Nobody was admitted with lower than 60% A*s last admissions round and your chances of getting in are very low with lower than 90%. With a subject as competitive as medicine Oxford would probably be a wasted choice. I don't know why Medicine is so picky about GCSEs but they must have evidence to suggest that it helps with their course.

Yeah I was guessing that but thanks for confirming it! :smile:
Original post by Azula
Yeah I was guessing that but thanks for confirming it! :smile:

Sorry :frown: I wish you all the best with your application anyway.
Original post by LevCrofts
I'm applying for Oriental Studies (Arabic and Islamic Studies) to Queen's College. I'm a Scottish student on a gap yah - already had my grades, reference has been done, and just finishing off my personal statement.

There only seems to be one OLAT paper available on their website for practice. I know they say it's not good to over practice, but as I'm not generally a language student before (I did English, Maths, and History - though outside this I speak fluent Russian) I feel I am disadvantaged in this part of the application; does anyone know a way to get my claws on any other papers?

Anyone else for this course?

All the best for your apps.

Hi, I'm applying for Chinese so don't have to take the OLAT but I know the format of it. It's essentially a test of your linguistic abilities, and it reminds me a lot of the questions in the UKLO (Linguistic Olympiad) so I'd get a hand of the past papers on their website which they have loads of.

And don't be worried, English and Maths makes a perfect combination of language skills with the mathematical aptitude for noticing patterns that you need to ace these kinds of questions, also as a speaker of a second language, you're likely to have a natural ability for processing language, so I'm sure you'll do fine!
Hi I'm Laura, and I've just sent off my UCAS applying to study English at Brasenose! I'm studying English, French and History and got 4 As at AS Level :smile:
Original post by LauraHackett
Hi I'm Laura, and I've just sent off my UCAS applying to study English at Brasenose! I'm studying English, French and History and got 4 As at AS Level :smile:

Well done on sending it off so early! I thought I'd have finished with my statement this week but then I sent it to someone studying Chinese @ St Anne's and they tore it apart, so I guess I still have a lot of work to do:frown:. What exam board do you do for English?
Original post by googolplexity
Well done on sending it off so early! I thought I'd have finished with my statement this week but then I sent it to someone studying Chinese @ St Anne's and they tore it apart, so I guess I still have a lot of work to do:frown:. What exam board do you do for English?

I'm actually 3 days behind my school's deadline - they're very tight on time because lots of people apply for medicine! I live in Northern Ireland so CCEA, have to say I'm not enjoying the course as much as AS - Chaucer's a bit of a drain haha
Also I had a head start on my statement because I had to write one for the UNIQ summer school so I was able to work from there and adapt it.
I'm actually 3 days behind my school's deadline - they're very tight on time because lots of people apply for medicine! I live in Northern Ireland so CCEA, have to say I'm not enjoying the course as much as AS - Chaucer's a bit of a drain haha
Also I had a head start on my statement because I had to write one for the UNIQ summer school so I was able to work from there and adapt it.

Oh noooooo, I'm doing OCR but have to do Chaucer as well, are you doing the Wife of Bath because if so I'm so sorry</3
Did you get accepted onto UNIQ? My friend did the law course there, but I couldn't apply because they don't do a course in Chinese:angry:
I'll intro myself:

I'm Prince, applied for Computer Science at St Anne's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2334
Hi! An international applicant of E&M, anyone applying for E&M here and/or international applicant?
Hi, I'm applying for Chinese so don't have to take the OLAT but I know the format of it. It's essentially a test of your linguistic abilities, and it reminds me a lot of the questions in the UKLO (Linguistic Olympiad) so I'd get a hand of the past papers on their website which they have loads of.

And don't be worried, English and Maths makes a perfect combination of language skills with the mathematical aptitude for noticing patterns that you need to ace these kinds of questions, also as a speaker of a second language, you're likely to have a natural ability for processing language, so I'm sure you'll do fine!

That's all really helpful thanks!
Original post by thechemistress
Well, I do live here :wink: yeah, it is cold and foggy at the moment :frown: What's the application day?

It's lovely and warm now though! It's for year 13s planning on applying and gives advice on interviews, aptitude tests etc. It was incredibly useful actually

I was in Merton which is lovely and very large, I would recommend it to any History applicants, the tutor there was lovely!

Don't regret my application to Magdalen though :wink:
Original post by antigone-
It's lovely and warm now though! It's for year 13s planning on applying and gives advice on interviews, aptitude tests etc. It was incredibly useful actually

I was in Merton which is lovely and very large, I would recommend it to any History applicants, the tutor there was lovely!

Don't regret my application to Magdalen though :wink:

Wow, it sounds really useful actually :biggrin: shame that I haven't heard about it before xD

Haha, I was at LMH yesterday and the girl touring me said it was known as 'Merton, where fun goes to die' :lol:

Good choice, Magdalen is so lovely. Definitely one of my top five choices xD
Oh noooooo, I'm doing OCR but have to do Chaucer as well, are you doing the Wife of Bath because if so I'm so sorry</3
Did you get accepted onto UNIQ? My friend did the law course there, but I couldn't apply because they don't do a course in Chinese:angry:

No I'm Pardoner's Tale which is basically one huge big attack on the Catholic Church haha
Yep I got in and it was one of the best weeks of my life! That's so annoying they didn't do your subject :/
No I'm Pardoner's Tale which is basically one huge big attack on the Catholic Church haha
Yep I got in and it was one of the best weeks of my life! That's so annoying they didn't do your subject :/

Haha I'm so jealous. It's so annoying because they offer Sanskrit but there are 6 times the number of people doing Chinese at oxford than Sanskrit:angry:

Latest

Trending

Trending