The Student Room Group

Oxford IELTS requirements?

Im aware that the IELTS requirements to apply to oxford are an overall score of 7 and a minimum of 7 in all four sections. But I took it and achieved 7.5 overall and 8.5 in listening, 8 in reading, 7 in speaking and 6.5 in writing. Is this a bad score? Should i retake it? I mean, I am so close and much higher in 2 sections. Thanks
Original post by KarimmAhmedd
Im aware that the IELTS requirements to apply to oxford are an overall score of 7 and a minimum of 7 in all four sections. But I took it and achieved 7.5 overall and 8.5 in listening, 8 in reading, 7 in speaking and 6.5 in writing. Is this a bad score? Should i retake it? I mean, I am so close and much higher in 2 sections. Thanks

I would retake. If they clearly state that you need a minimum of 7 in each section, I suspect a 6.5 won't cut it.
The requirements are absolute, and you didn't meet them. Retake it obviously.

As for whether it's a good score, no, 7.5 is not particularly good. It's adequate.
And if IELTS requirements are: band 7 in listening, 7.5 in reading, 7 in writing and 7 in speaking (overall band 7), will this be sufficient? :/
Original post by Nancy97
And if IELTS requirements are: band 7 in listening, 7.5 in reading, 7 in writing and 7 in speaking (overall band 7), will this be sufficient? :/

Yes. As long as you meet all the requirements (7 overall and in each section), you will have met Oxford's IELTS standard.

That said, the more proficient one is in English, the easier studies will be, particularly if your subject is reading-intensive (eg Law, English)
Thank you so much, you are always the one who can provide with accurate replies! :biggrin: If I may ask, are you an Oxford student? :smile:
Original post by Nancy97
Thank you so much, you are always the one who can provide with accurate replies! :biggrin: If I may ask, are you an Oxford student? :smile:

I was one (law). Undergrad 2011-2014, postgrad 2014-2015.
Reply 7
Hello,

I'd like to apply to Oxford (EU student here) and I've just received my IELTS results : overall 8/9 with 8.5/9 in reading/listening, 7.5/9 speaking but unfortunately 6.5/9 writing. Considering that I can't retake the exam as I'll miss the deadline, will my score in writing affect my application ? I do know that I need a minimum of 7 in each subtest, I'm extremely disappointed :/
Original post by tamara98
Hello,

I'd like to apply to Oxford (EU student here) and I've just received my IELTS results : overall 8/9 with 8.5/9 in reading/listening, 7.5/9 speaking but unfortunately 6.5/9 writing. Considering that I can't retake the exam as I'll miss the deadline, will my score in writing affect my application ? I do know that I need a minimum of 7 in each subtest, I'm extremely disappointed :/

I don't think it will. Presumably, if you do get an offer, Oxford will simply set IELTS as a condition for you, so you'll be able to retake the exam.

That said, if you're applying for a subject which has an entrance exam that involves some form of writing (eg LNAT, TSA), it might be good to work on that - bad English would detract from the quality of your work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending