The Student Room Group

which nhs funded courses pays most after experience?

Like 5 years+ down the line.

NHS funded courses include:
Adult Nursing / Child Nursing
Optometry
Diagnostic Radiography
Therapeutic Radiography
Dietetics
Midwifery
Physiotherapy

Feel free to add courses I forgot to mention!
Reply 1
Im curious about this, i also want to study nhs funded course. I wont go to uni otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
bump
Original post by BOMBSHELL97

Optometry
Diagnostic Radiography
Therapeutic Radiography
Dietetics
Midwifery
Physiotherapy

NHS careers pay works off banding so in fact a graduate going straight into any of those careers could expect to start on very similar salaries, they all start off at band 5 and this then goes up with increasing responsibilities and experience so really there wont be a major difference in any of them.
see here ( http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/pay-and-benefits-for-ahp-staff/)

To pick one of them I d say decide what area you'd rather work in, for example hospital or community, which group of service users/ expertise would you like to work with women or children or would you like to work with bones or muscles or would you like to eyes or human nutrition?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hibzish
Im curious about this, i also want to study nhs funded course. I wont go to uni otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why would you not go if it wasnt an nhs funded course?
Reply 5
Don't let pay be a deciding factor on which NHS course you study. If you truly want to study an NHS funded course, that's great, but really take time to consider it. Explore all the options and find out what interests you most. In terms of pay, most NHS careers are similar - as stated above - the pay rate depends on your band, and most graduates start out on band 5, so how much you want to get paid and when actually depends on how hard you work and how ambitious you are.

I started out studying Nursing, but 6 months into my course I realised it wasn't a career I saw myself in long term. Along the way I had gained serious interest in another NHS profession, and now, 2 years later, I'm starting a course in Diagnostic Radiography, starting next week. I know 110% that's where I want to be.

Really research your options, don't pick a random course and hope for the best. Good luck. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
why would you not go if it wasnt an nhs funded course?

Because i dont wanna be in debt when i leave uni. Also because of the interest invloved isnt allowed in Islam. But not alot of people know that :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hibzish
Because i dont wanna be in debt when i leave uni. Also because of the interest invloved isnt allowed in Islam. But not alot of people know that :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may still need a maintainance loan to live off, be sure to do it because you want the profession itself not just for the lack of debt
Reply 8
Optometry is not NHS funded :dry:
Reply 9
Here's one for your list; Operating Department Practitioner

If you haven't heard of it, essentially it It prepares you to become a operating department practitioner (ODP), working primarily within operating theatres as a surgical, anaesthetic or recovery practitioner, caring for patients through the perioperative journey, and ensuring the safe preparation of instruments and equipment.

It's NHS funded and very interesting.
Reply 10
Firstly thank you for everyones help.

Original post by claireestelle
NHS careers pay works off banding so in fact a graduate going straight into any of those careers could expect to start on very similar salaries, they all start off at band 5 and this then goes up with increasing responsibilities and experience so really there wont be a major difference in any of them.
see here ( http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/allied-health-professions/pay-and-benefits-for-ahp-staff/)

To pick one of them I d say decide what area you'd rather work in, for example hospital or community, which group of service users/ expertise would you like to work with women or children or would you like to work with bones or muscles or would you like to eyes or human nutrition?

I would like to work in the hospital for the most part but am just not sure in what particular department
Original post by MrJay
Don't let pay be a deciding factor on which NHS course you study. If you truly want to study an NHS funded course, that's great, but really take time to consider it. Explore all the options and find out what interests you most. In terms of pay, most NHS careers are similar - as stated above - the pay rate depends on your band, and most graduates start out on band 5, so how much you want to get paid and when actually depends on how hard you work and how ambitious you are.

I started out studying Nursing, but 6 months into my course I realised it wasn't a career I saw myself in long term. Along the way I had gained serious interest in another NHS profession, and now, 2 years later, I'm starting a course in Diagnostic Radiography, starting next week. I know 110% that's where I want to be.

Really research your options, don't pick a random course and hope for the best. Good luck. :smile:

Thankyou, i am really interested in helping people but just havent researched enough in the particular course i want to do. How did you know diagnostic radiography was the real thing you wanted?
Original post by rkhan34
Optometry is not NHS funded :dry:

This is news to me, lol so sad i really wish it were funded :/

Original post by MrJay
Here's one for your list; Operating Department Practitioner

If you haven't heard of it, essentially it It prepares you to become a operating department practitioner (ODP), working primarily within operating theatres as a surgical, anaesthetic or recovery practitioner, caring for patients through the perioperative journey, and ensuring the safe preparation of instruments and equipment.

It's NHS funded and very interesting.

That actually sounds intriguing i might look into it, do you know if you can do work experience in this department?
Firstly thank you for everyones help.

I would like to work in the hospital for the most part but am just not sure in what particular department

Thankyou, i am really interested in helping people but just havent researched enough in the particular course i want to do. How did you know diagnostic radiography was the real thing you wanted?

This is news to me, lol so sad i really wish it were funded :/

That actually sounds intriguing i might look into it, do you know if you can do work experience in this department?

Getting some work experience would hopefully help you with your decision massively :smile:
Reply 12

I knew from my time studying nursing. I have always been interested in anatomy and healthcare. After gaining some experience in a radiology dept whilst on placement and finding out the kind of opportunities that are available to radiographers throughout their career, I knew it was for me. It combines anatomy, physics, technology, and caring for people, all things I'm interested in. I know nursing focuses on a lot of this too but radiography appealed to me more. With nursing you have to have to mentally think and work out about what's going on with the body, but with radiography you can literally see what's going on. That's what I find most fascinating. My long term career goal is to become an advanced practitioner and get an MSc in reporting, so I can interpret images.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. I'd recommend emailing your local Trust and seeing if it's possible. In the meantime, there's plenty of YouTube videos on it which you can check out and definitely attend an open day to check out the course. It's a 2 year DipHE, not a degree - well, it's a DipHE at my uni anyway.
Reply 13
when applying for a NHS funded course, does it include accommodation too?
Original post by glo420
when applying for a NHS funded course, does it include accommodation too?

I dont think so, i think u apply for accomodation once ur accepted to the uni. You also apply for ur course to be funded once ur accepted and meet ur offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Optometry
Diagnostic Radiography
Therapeutic Radiography
Dietetics
Midwifery
Physiotherapy

NHS courses and jobs are very intensive so its important to go into one of them because you are serious about it, not because you won't get into debt.
Dietetics is only NHS funded in some places. Paramedic Science is also NHS funded at some unis.
I'm 4 years post-degree and earning around £30k at a band 7. Most of these start at a band 5 anyway
Original post by jelly1000
NHS courses and jobs are very intensive so its important to go into one of them because you are serious about it, not because you won't get into debt.
Dietetics is only NHS funded in some places. Paramedic Science is also NHS funded at some unis.

Yeah dont get me wrong im serious about wanting to be healthcare professional, but the real one i wud have liked to do is pharmacy but like i said before, interest is not allowed in Islam so being debt free is just a plus side to not getting involved with interest. Hence why i have decided nhs funded course would be best for my healthcare interests

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending