The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Isn't Davros's creation of the Daleks a fixed point in time?
Original post by Dalek1099

Spoiler

Ahhhh yes of course, how could I forget??

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
Also, quick spoiler reminders for everyone based on the first post of this thread.

Anything relating to future episodes goes in spoilers. Anything relating to episodes that have already aired doesn't need to.
Please state above the spoiler whether it is published, a leak, or pure speculation (or a combination thereof)

So actually, most of the things that have been posted this evening didn't need to be in spoilers.

If people can stick to the above, I'll be a very happy Aula :puppyeyes:

I've tended to go for anything about the episode just shown spoilered for a day or so to allow people to catch up who couldn't watch live.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I have a theory and a question:

1. Theory:
I believe Missy used the vortex manipulators to make it appear as though her and Clara died.

2. Question:
How did the Doctor go back in time without his TARDIS?! (Unless he somehow managed to dismantle a Dalek and use it's emergency temporal shift, only a more refined and accurate version modified by himself?)
Reply 4604
Original post by Dalek1099

Spoiler

speculation based on released info:

Spoiler

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I've tended to go for anything about the episode just shown spoilered for a day or so to allow people to catch up who couldn't watch live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess we can go with that, though I'm sure we've had discussions about this and the general consensus has been that if you don't watch it for a few days you just avoid this thread. That's certainly what I've done in the past.

Original post by Scienceisgood
Guys, I have a theory and a question:

1. Theory:
I believe Missy used the vortex manipulators to make it appear as though her and Clara died.

2. Question:
How did the Doctor go back in time without his TARDIS?! (Unless he somehow managed to dismantle a Dalek and use it's emergency temporal shift, only a more refined and accurate version modified by himself?)

I presume we'll find out the answer to this next week :dontknow:
I expected to not like the episode since I hated most episodes last season, but I liked it! I like missy but I do moss john simms...

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I have a theory about the return of Gallifrey:

Spoiler

Or am I just stabbing in the dark?
missy is a terrible unfunny character

some parts of this episode were like a cbbc show, it deserves to have low ratings to be honest since it has been mediocre to awful since david tennant and russell t davies left.
Hey Missy you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, hey Missy, Hey Missy! :flute:

:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope this season dosen't get ridicolously complicated with story arcs :s-smilie:

heres hoping :crossedf:
Original post by CoolCavy
I hope this season dosen't get ridicolously complicated with story arcs :s-smilie:

heres hoping :crossedf:

That's what I hated with the Matt Smith era. I found that I just couldn't invest myself in any of the storylines in any of the three series that he was a part of, so I just lost interest in him as a Doctor pretty quickly.
Same. Think it got ridiculous with the whole River Song, Amy pregnant stuff.
Stopped watching for a year actually.
I think you kind of have to view the new episode with the other as it is a 2 parter.
At the screening they played the next straight after the other, didn't even play the credits so although you knew yourself where the cliffhanger was, it wasn't actually pointed out. Flowed much better and it was essentially a 1 1/2 hour episode. I may have just been in a high though as I thoroughly enjoyed them and didn't feel like it dragged, went in really quick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lustawny
That's what I hated with the Matt Smith era. I found that I just couldn't invest myself in any of the storylines in any of the three series that he was a part of, so I just lost interest in him as a Doctor pretty quickly.

Original post by EverybodyLies04
Same. Think it got ridiculous with the whole River Song, Amy pregnant stuff.
Stopped watching for a year actually.
I think you kind of have to view the new episode with the other as it is a 2 parter.
At the screening they played the next straight after the other, didn't even play the credits so although you knew yourself where the cliffhanger was, it wasn't actually pointed out. Flowed much better and it was essentially a 1 1/2 hour episode. I may have just been in a high though as I thoroughly enjoyed them and didn't feel like it dragged, went in really quick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

agree with both of u :five: and all that impossible girl stuff was stupid too :s-smilie:
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
missy is a terrible unfunny character

some parts of this episode were like a cbbc show, it deserves to have low ratings to be honest since it has been mediocre to awful since david tennant and russell t davies left.

Last season with the episodes with the children it definitely felt like a cbbc show but worse! Although this episode wasn't bad, yet they are trying a bit too hard with missy...
Original post by Teddysmith123
Last season with the episodes with the children it definitely felt like a cbbc show but worse! Although this episode wasn't bad, yet they are trying a bit too hard with missy...

the concept of the episode isn't bad, a new spin on genesis of the daleks fits in well with this doctor since we had the whole "is he killing people?" thing last series

my issue is just with missy really, she is basically a cartoon character

the bits that were like cbbc were the parts where missy came out of the tv screen and when the doctor was playing guitar for some weird reason

I know the master and the doctor have always been "arch enemies" and some argue that they have a weird love for each other, but in this episode there was no subtlety at all and they were basically best friends. The doctor even referred to her as a "friend".

The whole "flirty/cheeky" thing is just unbearable and cliched. Just because the master is now a woman why does that mean she has to make sexual innuendos and flirty comments?

On top of that, the character isn't even like the master at all anymore but a female version of moffat's moriarty from sherlock.
(edited 8 years ago)
the concept of the episode isn't bad, a new spin on genesis of the daleks fits in well with this doctor since we had the whole "is he killing people?" thing last series

the bits that were like cbbc were the parts where missy came out of the tv screen and when the doctor was playing guitar for some weird reason

I know the master and the doctor have always been "arch enemies" and some argue that they have a weird love for each other, but in this episode there was no subtlety at all and they were basically best friends. The doctor even referred to her as a "friend".

The whole "flirty/cheeky" thing is just unbearable and cliched. Just because the master is now a woman why does that mean she has to make sexual innuendos and flirty comments?

On top of that, the character isn't even like the master at all anymore but a female version of moffat's moriarty from sherlock.

That is the problem I had with Missy last season! When John Simms played the master there was something unique about the relationship between him and the doctor - the scene where the master is dying and won't regenerate to spite the doctor is so beautiful - and that relationship has just disappeared. I don't like that the master flirts with the doctor because it is too excessive and just changes what I thought their relationship was and I liked how it previously was. In this episode there were moments when they toned Missy down a bit and I did like her, but then again there were moments that I could not stand her. The whole guitar thing I didn't understand the point of it - it felt so out of place and unnecessary. Clara was better in this episode but there is no way she is the doctors best friend - Amy is probably higher up on the list then she is...

:ditto:

No way. Moriarty is much cleverer and much, much more of a psychopath - and a truly believable psychopath at that, whereas Missy simply isn't. He not only acts the part, he also looks the part too - genuinely looking and behaving like a complete and utter loose cannon who could and would do literally anything he wanted to you with nobody to stop him. I've always been under the impression that the Doctor was (and is) always cleverer than the Master in the Doctor Who universe, due to the fact that he always defeats him/her. In the Moffat/Gatiss Sherlock universe, though, I feel that there's always been a big (?) over who's the cleverest/most resourceful out of the pair of them, because I always get the feeling Moriarty can play Sherlock so seamlessly and easily and he always seems to go one step further, due to how insane he is.
the guitar bit was ridiculous :colonhash:
Original post by Danno190
So I have a theory about the return of Gallifrey:

Spoiler

Or am I just stabbing in the dark?

I think you're onto something there, we'll have to wait and see. Although I was thinking something similar.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest