The Student Room Group

Rounding out my subjects?

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I guess it kind of applies to university and applying for that.

I'm currently in my final year of studying a BTEC in Business for Fashion Retail and while I enjoy it, I do feel like I've hampered myself by doing something so specific, like I've put all my eggs in one basket. I just wanted to know if there are any courses out there that will able me to explore a wider range of subjects in one go - sort of like a multiple subjects BTEC, if that exists?

I would do A-levels, but I only really want to do something for one year as I'm in year 13 now and I do want to go to uni later on, but not that later on. I'm unsure about what I want to study at uni and what career I want to pursue, so I feel like getting a more well rounded view of things may help me out.

Any advice is helpful, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by lm28198
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I guess it kind of applies to university and applying for that.

I'm currently in my final year of studying a BTEC in Business for Fashion Retail and while I enjoy it, I do feel like I've hampered myself by doing something so specific, like I've put all my eggs in one basket. I just wanted to know if there are any courses out there that will able me to explore a wider range of subjects in one go - sort of like a multiple subjects BTEC, if that exists?

I would do A-levels, but I only really want to do something for one year as I'm in year 13 now and I do want to go to uni later on, but not that later on. I'm unsure about what I want to study at uni and what career I want to pursue, so I feel like getting a more well rounded view of things may help me out.

Any advice is helpful, thanks!

You might be best to think about what kinds of things you want to study at uni, and then looking to see what qualifications you need to do that. A BTEC is a more practical qualification so they tend to be narrower - you can't do a multiple subject BTEC as that wouldn't allow you enough depth in each subject.
Reply 2
The thing is, I have no idea what I want to do at uni or what career I want to pursue, and thats kind of the point of me wanting to do something like this. I want to gain more insight into other areas, see what I enjoy and hopefully that will help me make a decision.

After doing some more research, I've found that some colleges offer the choice of doing A-levels intensively in the space of one year - do you think that would be a good thing for me? I'm considering just doing one, as I don't know if trying to do three A-levels in one year would be too much? Also, if I do end up doing three, what other subjects go well with Sociology? That's the only one at the moment I feel strongly about doing, maybe Law as well, but I really don't know.

Thanks for your help by the way, sorry if all my questions are annoying! (:
Reply 3
Original post by lm28198
The thing is, I have no idea what I want to do at uni or what career I want to pursue, and thats kind of the point of me wanting to do something like this. I want to gain more insight into other areas, see what I enjoy and hopefully that will help me make a decision.

After doing some more research, I've found that some colleges offer the choice of doing A-levels intensively in the space of one year - do you think that would be a good thing for me? I'm considering just doing one, as I don't know if trying to do three A-levels in one year would be too much? Also, if I do end up doing three, what other subjects go well with Sociology? That's the only one at the moment I feel strongly about doing, maybe Law as well, but I really don't know.

Thanks for your help by the way, sorry if all my questions are annoying! (:

An A Level in a year is a lot of work. How much time would you be willing to devote to studying? If you have a lot of other commitments, or just want to spend evenings watching TV, then this won't be the best route for you. Some people doing A Levels over two years struggle with the workload, and over one year would be more than that, so you will need to be dedicated.

If you've previously got good grades and don't mind putting the work in then it could be possible. But bear in mind that each A Level is made up of modules, and each module will have one exam (unless they're coursework based) for each, so potentially you could be looking at six exams per subject. That's a lot of revision.

Personally, I'd look at what each college says about dropping subjects. It would be easier to start off with three A Levels and drop one or two if you can't cope than it would be to take up another if by January you're finding the work OK. But this does depend if they would make you pay any fees, or if they have a minimum number of contact hours (ie lessons) per week (colleges are funded by the government. This funding is dependent on the number of students, and students need to be doing so many hours to be considered as a full time student. If you only do one subject you might be classed as part time, so the college might not be able to get funding for you - nobody here can tell you for sure as it will depend on the college (they may have bursaries, or already have fees, and thus not really care) so it is something you need to check with them).

For a law degree you don't need to have studied law at A Level. If you want to do sociology at A Level then most subjects would go nicely with it. If you're really unsure, then maths, English or a science are always good options as they're respected subjects. Don't pick both economics and business studies (they can be seen as too similar), but just one of them would be another good choice.
Reply 4
I do want to try and keep myself busy over the next year, to really make it worthwhile - part of the reason why I'm not enjoying BTEC is that I don't find it engaging, so I'm going to try and do the opposite. By the sounds of it, I perhaps should just stick to one A-Level then. Sociology was the only one I felt really passionate about doing anyway, so to do another two that I'm not that keen on seems silly.

I know that you said it will be a lot of work, but do you think it is at all possible that I could do it alongside another course? I think to really make the most of me taking a year off I do need to do more than one thing. Could I even do it alongside another BTEC, do you reckon?

Thank you for all your advice, again, it is really helpful.
Reply 5
That's a question you'd be best asking the college, as it depends again on funding. It also depends on the type of BTEC - some are eqivalent to 3 A Levels, so doing that plus a full A Level would really be too much. If you're doing a different type then the BTEC would be less work, and so it would be possible.
Reply 6
Ok, I'll look into it - thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending