The Student Room Group

What did you struggle with when learning to drive?

Hey,

So far I've had 4 lessons (totalling 6 1/2 hours). In today's lesson we were doing clutch control at junctions and stopping at T-junctions and waiting to emerge from minor to major roads.

I'm finding it so difficult to pick up the stopping at junctions properly.

For those of you who are a lot further in second than I am, I was wondering what you found the most difficult stage of learning to be?

Scroll to see replies

I am still learning to drive. The thing i struggle with the most is forward oberstaion ane planing. A scan even think all the time i get to focused on one thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not feeling like a sweaty pig in the car. And taming the desire to slap my driving instructor.
hey this is what i was doing at my fourth lesson! i approached a junction perfectly using the break and clutch and changing gears with no guidance, my instructor was impressed :tongue:

then i got too excited, tense and wanted to perfect it again. my problem was braking and depressing the clutch, a few times the car like jolted i think because i was pressing the brake down too quickly
I'm still learning (think I've had around 12 hours) but my biggest struggle is hesitancy and judging when I can pull out at busy junctions and roundabouts.
Original post by LeaX
I'm still learning (think I've had around 12 hours) but my biggest struggle is hesitancy and judging when I can pull out at busy junctions and roundabouts.

Same for me
dont worry guys, you are still learning and after more practice things will become second nature!
Reply 7
Original post by Bubble_10
Hey,

So far I've had 4 lessons (totalling 6 1/2 hours). In today's lesson we were doing clutch control at junctions and stopping at T-junctions and waiting to emerge from minor to major roads.

I'm finding it so difficult to pick up the stopping at junctions properly.

For those of you who are a lot further in second than I am, I was wondering what you found the most difficult stage of learning to be?

I used to have this prob when I first started too, you can break gently by applying the break then releasing then applying until you slow right down and stop. Don't worry you'll get used to it v quick :smile:

I used to struggle with planning and observation lol and just steering could do all the manoeuvres fine but couldn't steer properly :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Reversing and roundabouts mainly. I had and still have little confidence when I am behind the wheel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I always find it hard to get to biting point ...I keep stopping the car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reverse around a corner it's a damn nightmare.
one word - mirrors.
Attempting to keep my cool, next to my 10/10 ( :u: ) driving instructor!
Passed last week and when I first started learning I always found approaching t-junctions difficult. Don't know why, but for a good few weeks it was my bug bear. Now it has become spiral roundabouts. Can not wrap my head around those things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I used to struggle with a ton of things when I was learning (manual). They say people are naturals at at least one thing when they're learning...mine was handbreak starts. I literally struggled with everything but handbreak starts. It took me months to learn the right friction point between clutch and accelerator , and even longer to feel comfortable changing gears without having to look at the stick and risk lives on the road. I could hardly get into 5th gear without ****ting myself, nor could I go through orange lights without panicking. Hell, I still **** myself whenever I miss a gear and the car makes that grinding sound! I was in a crash (not my fault) on my L plates, and couldn't get in the car for months without breaking into cold sweats and refusing to drive. I failed the test once, and then got lucky the second time when I wasn't asked to do a reverse park and passed by the skin of my teeth.

Moral of the story is that everyone can pass if they are willing to put some work into calming their nerves and just go for it at their own pace. Last week was the first time I began serious inner-city driving, and this is nearly two years after I actually got my P plates. Good luck to all those struggling :smile:
I've managed to be able to overcome up hill starts. Damn I used to stall all the damn time doing that. The only real concerns are now my spacial awareness and how rough I am at steering the wheel XD but I'll get there. It just takes time I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I'd always sit in the passenger seat rather than the drivers seat
(edited 8 years ago)
3 lessons in and i can't get comfortable with the accelerator or brake! I find it hard to judge speed and keep to the speed limit, always press the gas too hard and drive too fast or dont put it hard enough and go too slow and whenever I try to correct it I end up getting frustrated. With braking I'm similar and either ease the brake approaching junctions and dont slow down much at all or slam them down and jolt (dont know which is more dangerous haha). I also struggle keeping my line in sharp corners and sometimes end up driving on the outside of the road over all the potholes!
clutch control and islands were my biggest thing and my instructor took a long time to get me comfortable with the latter.
Reply 19
I kept feeling I'd fall over when my right foot was lightly on the throttle and left foot on the clutch and right hand on the indicator and left hand on the gears - I felt like I was trying to balance on my bum with nothing keeping me in place!

Original post by stoltguyboo
Reverse around a corner it's a damn nightmare.
I did that on Saturday for what was probably the first time in over ten years! It's just a manoeuvre you never do in real life. I think it is put in because it is so hard to do well at the same time as maintaining observation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending