The Student Room Group

does a level 3 qualification additional maths GCSE look good when applying to uni.

If you want to apply for a maths degree, would it be advantageous , would you think, combined with good a-levels ? I think it does, especially if a lot of people apply to unis with the same grades as you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ihatehannah
If you want to apply for a maths degree, would it be advantageous , would you think, combined with good a-levels ? I think it does.

An additional GCSE in maths is superseded by A-levels and As level UMS. It wouldn't hurt as it shows you have an interest in maths and ability since that time but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Original post by Xenon17
An additional GCSE in maths is superseded by A-levels and As level UMS. It wouldn't hurt as it shows you have an interest in maths and ability since that time but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

the additional maths does give 20 UCAS points though too, which is pretty convenient.
the additional maths does give 20 UCAS points though too, which is pretty convenient.

Pretty sure UCAS points are largely useless although I may be wrong. Speak to your careers advisor at school.

If the university asks for grades, it won't be taken into account. If a university makes points offers, it will specify where those points have to come from. Most will specify from full A levels or AS, so don't automatically assume it will make any difference. You will need to check this with any university you apply to which makes points offers, just to be sure.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If the university asks for grades, it won't be taken into account. If a university makes points offers, it will specify where those points have to come from. Most will specify from full A levels or AS, so don't automatically assume it will make any difference. You will need to check this with any university you apply to which makes points offers, just to be sure.

yes I am aware ucas points are irrelevant most of the time, but my point is I think the qualification would show a genuine interest and love for mathematics and thus make you more competitive than other applicants if they have the same grades as you(: .
yes I am aware ucas points are irrelevant most of the time, but my point is I think the qualification would show a genuine interest and love for mathematics and thus make you more competitive than other applicants (: .

Well, that may be so. What really counts are the A2 grades, so nail them.
If you want to apply for a maths degree, would it be advantageous , would you think, combined with good a-levels ? I think it does.

I'm doing a Level 3 maths course right now and it's an extra qualification and it's quite easy, so I guess if you have the aptitude and interest, why not? Although to be honest it really isn't much harder than A* GCSE maths.
Original post by Dingooose
I'm doing a Level 3 maths course right now and it's an extra qualification and it's quite easy, so I guess if you have the aptitude and interest, why not? Although to be honest it really isn't much harder than A* GCSE maths.

great, which exam board are you doing?
great, which exam board are you doing?

Edexcel for all maths related qualifications. The Level 3 thing I'm doing is the Level 3 Algebra by Edexcel. Keep in mind that although this is a level 3 qualification and A Levels are also level 3, this is nothing like A Level maths.
Edexcel for all maths related qualifications. The Level 3 thing I'm doing is the Level 3 Algebra by Edexcel. Keep in mind that although this is a level 3 qualification and A Levels are also level 3, this is nothing like A Level maths.

ah does the school not allow you to do a level 3 qualification in additional maths combined with the level 3 algebra ? The level 3 qualification in algebra is cake compared to the additional maths.
ah does the school not allow you to do a level 3 qualification in additional maths combined with the level 3 algebra ? The level 3 qualification in algebra is cake compared to the additional maths.

My school doesn't offer additional maths unfortunately. What level 3 additional maths do you mean? I can't find it on the Internet although I've found level 2 additional maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
My school doesn't offer additional maths unfortunately. What level 3 additional maths do you mean? I can't find it on the Internet although I've found level 2 additional maths.

this is an example , http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59598-question-paper-unit-6993-01-additional-mathematics-advanced-level.pdf

You're right, that certainly does look quite a bit harder than the level 3 thing I'm doing. It even has topics from AS maths like differential calculus. If I were in your position I would definitely do it as prep for A Level.
You're right, that certainly does look quite a bit harder than the level 3 thing I'm doing. It even has topics from AS maths like differential calculus. If I were in your position I would definitely do it as prep for A Level.

I'm doing this because of my love for mathematics- I want unis to see how much passion I have for it . I am also doing edexcel for the maths gcse as well, yet I'm doing this OCR additional maths, so maybe if you can self- teach yourself this, your school can enter you for it.
I'm doing this because of my love for mathematics- I want unis to see how much passion I have for it . I am also doing edexcel for the maths gcse as well, yet I'm doing this OCR additional maths, so maybe if you can self- teach yourself this, your school can enter you for it.

I think I'm actually already ready for all of it except the mechanics questions. But even so, I doubt my school would allow me to sit this, because I asked them to let me sit the GCSE further maths exams because I already self taught myself the content but they refused.
I think I'm actually already ready for all of it except the mechanics questions. But even so, I doubt my school would allow me to sit this, because I asked them to let me sit the GCSE further maths exams because I already self taught myself the content but they refused.

hmm GCSE further maths, which exam board is that?
hmm GCSE further maths, which exam board is that?

AQA. It has pretty nice topics like some basic calculus, limits and new trig identities but overall it is pretty straightforward.
AQA. It has pretty nice topics like some basic calculus, limits and new trig identities but overall it is pretty straightforward.

ah yes, I've seen a few papers on that- pretty straightforward indeed, it's a shame that you can't be entered for it , especially since it's only a level 2 qualification, what was their reason for not letting you do it?
ah yes, I've seen a few papers on that- pretty straightforward indeed, it's a shame that you can't be entered for it , especially since it's only a level 2 qualification, what was their reason for not letting you do it?

I did it and it is not bloody straightforward! Managed to get a C lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending