The Student Room Group

Would you support laws against people denouncing Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Fango_Jett
Politicians who we elect democratically.

You mean the institution that doesn't follow the laws that they are supposed to follow have the right to dictate what laws other people have to follow...
Original post by Errm42
You mean the institution that doesn't follow the laws that they are supposed to follow have the right to dictate what laws other people have to follow...

What is your alternative suggestion? Anarchy? Shariah?
Reply 142
Original post by Saint-Saens
These laws have come about following thousands of years of philosophising and debate. They are not arbitrary

Do you allow dogmatic principles from ancient times to dictate modern civilization?
Original post by Errm42
Do you allow dogmatic principles from ancient times to dictate modern civilization?

Do you allow dogmatic principles from ancient times dictate Islamic barbarity?
Original post by Errm42

Sigh... your low intellect is showing... most principles we have originate from ancient times...

Answer the question. What is your alternative?
Original post by Errm42

We give them the right to be in that institution and we give them those rights. True, there are some issues here and then, but I'd take a democratically elected parliament over a fundamentalist dictatorship any day.
Whoever suggested that this should be a thing is a disgrace to humanity. Allowing people to criticise this offensive religion is part of our right to free speech. I am disgusted by Islam so I am pleased that I can at least criticise it freely (for now, at least.) I am constantly being labelled as offensive and "Islamophobic" but I don't care one bit.

The right to free speech does not give you the right not to be offended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 147
Original post by Saint-Saens
Sigh... your low intellect is showing... most principles we have originate from ancient times...

Answer the question. What is your alternative?

So why do you continue to follow them? Surely we, as a modern, liberated, enlightened and advanced civilization, should have a better system rather than relying on methods devised thousands of years ago?
Original post by Errm42
So why do you continue to follow them? Surely we, as a modern, liberated, enlightened and advanced civilization, should have a better system rather than relying on methods devised thousands of years ago?

False comparison. These laws and principles have been rewritten, refined, corrected, detailed and gone through trial and error over thousands of years. They are not the same as following some scribblings in a book from a desert written by a desert dweller high on opium.
Original post by Errm42

What a silly question! Are you going to come up with an invention better suited to moving heavy loads in mass transport than the wheel? After all, it was invented in ancient times.
Original post by Good bloke
What a silly question! Are you going to come up with an invention better suited to moving heavy loads in mass transport than the wheel? After all, it was invented in ancient times.

I propose a triangle wheel shaped after the Illuminati sign. Will make for some great laughs.
Reply 151
Do you allow dogmatic principles from ancient times dictate Islamic barbarity?

Perceived whataboutery does not nullify nor negate the argument proposed, namely that you seem content in allowing adhering to dogma, philosophized from ancient times.

Yet, you personally, reject the notion that others, who may not be of the same creed as yourself, should be free to adhere to a set of principles dictated not 1500 years past.

False comparison. These laws and principles have been rewritten, refined, corrected, detailed and gone through trial and error over thousands of years. They are not the same as following some scribblings in a book from a desert written by a desert dweller high on opium.

So they have been found to be constantly wrong, thus needing revisions and amendments?

Again, an attempted deflection is not an argument.

We give them the right to be in that institution and we give them those rights. True, there are some issues here and then, but I'd take a democratically elected parliament over a fundamentalist dictatorship any day.

That can only be possible if they give the rights to us, in the first place.

I suppose what you are trying to say is that a democracy is akin to a "benevolent dictatorship"....
Original post by Errm42

That can only be possible if they give the rights to us, in the first place.

I suppose what you are trying to say is that a democracy is akin to a "benevolent dictatorship"....

Ooh, another false comparison. Quite the tally you have there.

Who is "they"? Politicians are members of society from households. They are not some separate ruling class like a monarchy or a dictatorship. They are people from society that we elect to represent our interests and trust them to pass laws for their interest.

If lots of people are unhappy with laws and politicians, they will vote for someone else or form political parties of their own. People were unhappy with Labour and Lib Dems running things. Lib Dems got wiped out and Labour is struggling to hang on. Scotland got SNP into power.
Original post by Errm42

There's absolutely nothing wrong with looking at methods/systems/ideology devised thousands or hundreds of years ago, looking at them objectively to see if they're moral and make sense, and implementing them if they do. That's exactly what we're doing and have been doing as a society.
Original post by Errm42

So they have been found to be constantly wrong, thus needing revisions and amendments?

Constantly wrong? No. Constantly getting better more like.
Reply 155
Ooh, another false comparison. Quite the tally you have there.

Who is "they"? Politicians are members of society from households. They are not some separate ruling class like a monarchy or a dictatorship. They are people from society that we elect to represent our interests and trust them to pass laws for their interest.

More people vote against them, then for them.

In fact, they only secured just over a third of votes and only have the support of 16% of the country.

Yet, that 16% dictate laws to the 84%.

If lots of people are unhappy with laws and politicians, they will vote for someone else or form political parties of their own. People were unhappy with Labour and Lib Dems running things. Lib Dems got wiped out and Labour is struggling to hang on. Scotland got SNP into power.

In a "democracy", you can't make change on your own because your laws are dictating what others can and cannot do.

It's a blanket system, not a tailored system.
Reply 156
Constantly wrong? No. Constantly getting better more like.

Why would you change a system if it works well?
Nope. We're not in the 1300s, criticising religion is an integral part of our advancement.
Original post by Errm42
Why would you change a system if it works well?

I don't want "well". I want better and the best.

This is like saying "Why should we upgrade from a carriage to a car if the carriage works fine?". Why do you take cars and buses if your legs work well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending