The Student Room Group

Would you do a 3 day unpaid trial in a shop?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by voiceofreason234
This only really says that you should raise your standards, tbh.

Hahaha. Have you ever seen My Fair Lady, where Elisa Doolittle's Dad says he would sell his own daughter for £50? Pickering says to him - 'Have you no morals, man?' To which her Dad replies, 'No, I can't afford em, govner'.

It's nice to raise your standards if you can afford it. But I'm currently living on £50 a week.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 121
Some people set their moral compass by the examples of Jesus, or the words in the Koran. Some follow Buddha and others turn to the gurus. Us dodgy atheists use our conscience and the laws of the land.

Original post by abc:)
Hahaha. Have you ever seen My Fair Lady, where Elisa Doolittle's Dad says he would sell his own daughter for £50? Pickering says to him - 'Have you no morals, man?' To which her Dad replies, 'No, I can't afford em, govner'.
And some people rely on fictitious comedy bin-men. :biggrin:

If in doubt, WWSD. What Would Steptoe Do?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Simes
Some people set their moral compass by the examples of Jesus, or the words in the Koran. Some follow Buddha and others turn to the gurus. Us dodgy atheists use our conscience and the laws of the land.

And some people rely on fictitious comedy bin-men. :biggrin:

If in doubt, WWSD. What Would Steptoe Do?

Yes I go by the teachings of the musicals. Orrr, I like the way a comedic one liner sums up the issue we're talking about - that is, people being forced to go against their principles because having enough money is sadly more important.
Original post by Jenx301
If I really wanted or needed a job then yes, I would. It sucks sometimes but you have to show them what skills and qualities you have. If you aren't willing to, someone else will!

I would have said that three days is taking the mick, but the above makes a better point.
Original post by thisistheend
I don't know if you've noticed, but the vast majority of people disagree with you.

:biggrin: Just shows how you don't life in the real world. In the real world the vast majority AGREE. Hence why the Tories are taking their approach in welfare-the policy is very popular with the public.

I don't care if on a forum people disagree. The people speaking are those who evidently don't live in the real world. I mean people on a leftie forum of entitlement culture, bone idle lazy individuals can disagree all they like-they aren't most people. If most people acted like you lot there would be no taxes paid and no JSA to give out.

So again, nice speech. Doesn't change the fact that it is a) take up the trial and do what working people have had to do or
b) go onto workfare.

All the lazy lefties coming up wih their ideological reasons-the real reason is laziness. It isn't noble to turn down opportunities for work like some on here seem to think.
In the real world people say; "oh a three day trial! Great! I may soon be earning. What a good opportunity! Better than sitting at home for three days watching TV and applying for more jobs anway-better take the offer I already have after all!"

On TSR; "Being offered a trial despite the fact it is reasonable for the employer (already explained), and only three days, and also I will not be any worse off for doing it, I shall still turn it down. You see, three days of effort is just too much for a good chance of getting a job. I feel exploited like "garbage" or a "prostitute" for being made to get work experience. I don't care if that is the reality for many working people-I am not doing a three day trial and would instead prefer to sit on JSA and get workfare forced on me. I don't care if three/four years ago I was still a child who got told what to wear in a uniform and had to put their hand up even to ask for permission to go to the toilet-I have nothing to prove to anyone in this world. Also I feel that the unemployed should make less effort to get a job or improve their CV than the employed make to keep a job or add to their CV for reasons all based around laziness disguised as ideological, moral high ground rubbish. I also like to blame immigrants from time to time for having the cheek to want to work and making an effort in life, taking the jobs and trials I never would and generally paying taxes so that I don't have to work".

All those people saying three days is so long, and you don't earn so much money-how long was your degree, and how much did it cost? Did that lead to a job at the end? Sounds to me people will just think fo any excuse to avoid work-they prefer to wake up at noon, watch TV, and lay about in a typical student/unemployed lifestyle. Living off student loans or benefits.

My four point question posted earlier us something that applies in the real world as well-sitting at home all day isn't a legitimate entry on a CV. Taking trials is. Earn or learn, that is what you should be doing. If someone is unemployed and answering my earlier questions, fair enough. You are trying.

So again, nice ideological rubbish, but take the trial and then get paid or work for free for much longer and get no salary at the end on workfare.
(edited 8 years ago)
Find me the link to HMRC that allows unpaid work of this fashion and I might agree with you
Days of free labour for a shop assistant is ludicrous, even if legal.

The OP needs to ensure that they are covered by H&s as well.
Original post by i<3milkshake
:biggrin: Just shows how you don't life in the real world. In the real world the vast majority AGREE. Hence why the Tories are taking their approach in welfare-the policy is very popular with the public.

I don't care if on a forum people disagree. The people speaking are those who evidently don't live in the real world. I mean people on a leftie forum of entitlement culture, bone idle lazy individuals can disagree all they like-they aren't most people. If most people acted like you lot there would be no taxes paid and no JSA to give out.

So again, nice speech. Doesn't change the fact that it is a) take up the trial and do what working people have had to do or
b) go onto workfare.

All the lazy lefties coming up wih their ideological reasons-the real reason is laziness. It isn't noble to turn down opportunities for work like some on here seem to think.
In the real world people say; "oh a three day trial! Great! I may soon be earning. What a good opportunity! Better than sitting at home for three days watching TV and applying for more jobs anway-better take the offer I already have after all!"

On TSR; "Being offered a trial despite the fact it is reasonable for the employer (already explained), and only three days, and also I will not be any worse off for doing it, I shall still turn it down. You see, three days of effort is just too much for a good chance of getting a job. I feel exploited like "garbage" or a "prostitute" for being made to get work experience. I don't care if that is the reality for many working people-I am not doing a three day trial and would instead prefer to sit on JSA and get workfare forced on me. I don't care if three/four years ago I was still a child who got told what to wear in a uniform and had to put their hand up even to ask for permission to go to the toilet-I have nothing to prove to anyone in this world. Also I feel that the unemployed should make less effort to get a job or improve their CV than the employed make to keep a job or add to their CV for reasons all based around laziness disguised as ideological, moral high ground rubbish. I also like to blame immigrants from time to time for having the cheek to want to work and making an effort in life, taking the jobs and trials I never would and generally paying taxes so that I don't have to work".

All those people saying three days is so long, and you don't earn so much money-how long was your degree, and how much did it cost? Did that lead to a job at the end? Sounds to me people will just think fo any excuse to avoid work-they prefer to wake up at noon, watch TV, and lay about in a typical student/unemployed lifestyle. Living off student loans or benefits.

My four point question posted earlier us something that applies in the real world as well-sitting at home all day isn't a legitimate entry on a CV. Taking trials is. Earn or learn, that is what you should be doing. If someone is unemployed and answering my earlier questions, fair enough. You are trying.

So again, nice ideological rubbish, but take the trial and then get paid or work for free for much longer and get no salary at the end on workfare.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/victory-most-people-dont-actually-5667728

The Tories got 37% of the votes but 50% of the seats. This means that 63% people didn't vote Tory and so most people, over half don't actually support the Tories.

I've been able to get work without doing unpaid labour, it helps if you're trained in something specific.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by abc:)

It's nice to raise your standards if you can afford it. But I'm currently living on £50 a week.

Well that might speak to your own lack of interview technique, problems with your CV...anything. This isn't 2009 anymore and I daresay most people get work without having to do extended illegal unpaid trials.

I've got higher standards. When I was living on 50 quid a week with my parents, I still had higher standards and wouldn't do 3 days unpaid work. YMMV. I certainly wouldn't be busting my ass to get some **** job in a shop anyway.
Original post by thisistheend
http://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/victory-most-people-dont-actually-5667728

The Tories got 37% of the votes but 50% of the seats. This means that 63% people didn't vote Tory and so most people, over half don't actually support the Tories.

I've been able to get work without doing unpaid labour, it helps if you're trained in something specific.

The Tories got over 50% of seats. Most regions therefore voted Tory.

If Red Ed or Comrade Corbyn got a majority of MP's the left would not question it. The hilarious thing is that the left put together-Labour, SNP, Green, Plaid Cymru, etc, all of them put together, still couldn't beat the Tories.

Looking at the attitudes on this thread, I'm pretty sure if the requirement to vote was actually giving a toss about your CV and work prospects and the voting time was changed to 9am so the lay-abouts would still be in bed the Tories would run rampant. Again, nice crying about rubbish but UKIP got a lot more votes than seats and they wouldn't tolerate the lazy mentality seen on here. Look at the SNP in proportion of votes to seats-the left has benefited greatly from the voting system also.

The thing is you can come up with all the idelogical rubbish and all the political opinions you want; in the real world those who can't be bothered to work aren't getting their hands on any more taxpayers money. That is the case now, and will be the case once Commie Corbyn makes Labour only relevant to those studying political history. All the bleating "but but but exploitation", "but but but the Tories got x number of votes" counts for nothing. The OP can either do what other working people do and do everything they can to improve their job chances or they can turn down the offer and sit around all day with nothing better to do than moan that taxpayers money isn't going to their lazy arse.

Discuss politics, ideological values all you like, the real world and reality doesn't give a damm and nor does the public or government.

b) go onto workfare.

I agree, 3 days is nothing. Better than being forced to do workfare cutting grass in the parks and clearing litter in the cold with no guarantee of a job once you've completed it.
Original post by _icecream
I agree, 3 days is nothing. Better than being forced to do workfare cutting grass in the parks and clearing litter in the cold with no guarantee of a job once you've completed it.

It is rather telling about the UK culture today that people think a three day trial is some kind of gross injustice. I am much more laid back about mass immigration now. If it wasn't for such people, who would be working? We may have no control over EU migrants, but to be fair they are much more hard working than the load of scroungers here. I sincerely hope that more arrive and their culture can dilute the lazy bastard culture that exists here. If half a million arrive each year then within ten years 5 million will be here, bringing their work ethic with them. It is a shame what this does for housing, but as far as the values of society go they are so much better for Britain than the lot on here. EU families would not turn down a trial so that they could watch TV for the rest of the week.
It is rather telling about the UK culture today that people think a three day trial is some kind of gross injustice. I am much more laid back about mass immigration now. If it wasn't for such people, who would be working? We may have no control over EU migrants, but to be fair they are much more hard working than the load of scroungers here. I sincerely hope that more arrive and their culture can dilute the lazy bastard culture that exists here. If half a million arrive each year then within ten years 5 million will be here, bringing their work ethic with them. It is a shame what this does for housing, but as far as the values of society go they are so much better for Britain than the lot on here. EU families would not turn down a trial so that they could watch TV for the rest of the week.

There are more people than vacancies. In my city alone one new supermarket received 9000 applications for just 200 positions. Not everyone is a dole scroungers, there's simply aren't enough jobs.

Inviting even more immigrants over isn't going to help either. If there are shortages of say builders then train people who are claiming benefits, a good idea is to send them to local colleges to learn rather than sending them on workfare helping a shop profit from free labour.
I don't know a single person who has had to do an unpaid trial in order to get a job. In professional careers or traditional trades. Not one.
The Tories got over 50% of seats. Most regions therefore voted Tory.

If Red Ed or Comrade Corbyn got a majority of MP's the left would not question it. The hilarious thing is that the left put together-Labour, SNP, Green, Plaid Cymru, etc, all of them put together, still couldn't beat the Tories.

Looking at the attitudes on this thread, I'm pretty sure if the requirement to vote was actually giving a toss about your CV and work prospects and the voting time was changed to 9am so the lay-abouts would still be in bed the Tories would run rampant. Again, nice crying about rubbish but UKIP got a lot more votes than seats and they wouldn't tolerate the lazy mentality seen on here. Look at the SNP in proportion of votes to seats-the left has benefited greatly from the voting system also.

The thing is you can come up with all the idelogical rubbish and all the political opinions you want; in the real world those who can't be bothered to work aren't getting their hands on any more taxpayers money. That is the case now, and will be the case once Commie Corbyn makes Labour only relevant to those studying political history. All the bleating "but but but exploitation", "but but but the Tories got x number of votes" counts for nothing. The OP can either do what other working people do and do everything they can to improve their job chances or they can turn down the offer and sit around all day with nothing better to do than moan that taxpayers money isn't going to their lazy arse.

Discuss politics, ideological values all you like, the real world and reality doesn't give a damm and nor does the public or government.

tee-he!

I am not claiming any benefits.

But I do have good news that I have been offered a customer advisor role which I start this Tuesday.!

It is with a decent well known company. Still kinda minimum wage-ish but it is a job.

Oh, if I did that 3 day trail thing, I would have missed the interview for this job that I just got!

Self respect is key. :biggrin:
Original post by _icecream
There are more people than vacancies. In my city alone one new supermarket received 9000 applications for just 200 positions. Not everyone is a dole scroungers, there's simply aren't enough jobs.

Inviting even more immigrants over isn't going to help either. If there are shortages of say builders then train people who are claiming benefits, a good idea is to send them to local colleges to learn rather than sending them on workfare helping a shop profit from free labour.

Train people on benefits! Have you seen the attitude that some people have on here? No employer would (or in the case of some, has) touch them with a barge pole. Sorry, but go to any council estate or even lookh at graduates these days and see just how indifferent they are towards work.

And quite frankly foreign workers have a better work ethic.
How is it that people from the EU, born in countries with no free education anything like the UK quality, with much more difficult access to higher education, who don't even have English as a first language, who have to move abroad, can still get a job AHEAD of British people?

There are plenty of jobs in the world. You have free education to a high standard, great higher education,a free house if you can't afford your own, benefits to help with your living if you don't earn-there are no excuses for not having a job. You have to look at your CV and improve it. Can't get a job? Make an effort to add experience (paid or unpaid) and education to it and try again. People who are really struggling to find a job, I guarantee, cannot answer my earlier questions. If they can I will personally find them a job. But thy simply haven't made as much of an effort as they should on their CV.

Original post by SuperWolfPaws
tee-he!

I am not claiming any benefits.

But I do have good news that I have been offered a customer advisor role which I start this Tuesday.!

It is with a decent well known company. Still kinda minimum wage-ish but it is a job.

Oh, if I did that 3 day trail thing, I would have missed the interview for this job that I just got!

Self respect is key. :biggrin:

No you wouldn't. If you are doing a trial you say "since you aren't paying me, I shall go to an interview. If you offer me a permanent contract I shall take up your offer" (should it interest you).

You seem to have a strange idea what a trial is. If you are offered a trial you take it up but are free to look elsewhere. You have shown initiative, and no employer will hold it against you.

I'm not sure why you have this strange idea that by taking up a trial you have to turn down interviews, as if you have a contract in terms of working hours you must abide by:biggrin:

As for people on here all talking about self respect; a person in law and a person in accounting on here have both said that trials are fine. We are in perfectly respectable professions thank you very much. In fact, rather than trials showing no self respect, those who have taken them actually are in a position to have more than those who are against the idea. The continuous "self respect" arguement really falls apart when you are accusing an accountant of having none...
Train people on benefits! Have you seen the attitude that some people have on here? No employer would (or in the case of some, has) touch them with a barge pole. Sorry, but go to any council estate or even lookh at graduates these days and see just how indifferent they are towards work.

And quite frankly foreign workers have a better work ethic.
How is it that people from the EU, born in countries with no free education anything like the UK quality, with much more difficult access to higher education, who don't even have English as a first language, who have to move abroad, can still get a job AHEAD of British people?

There are plenty of jobs in the world. You have free education to a high standard, great higher education,a free house if you can't afford your own, benefits to help with your living if you don't earn-there are no excuses for not having a job. You have to look at your CV and improve it. Can't get a job? Make an effort to add experience (paid or unpaid) and education to it and try again. People who are really struggling to find a job, I guarantee, cannot answer my earlier questions. If they can I will personally find them a job. But thy simply haven't made as much of an effort as they should on their CV.

No you wouldn't. If you are doing a trial you say "since you aren't paying me, I shall go to an interview. If you offer me a permanent contract I shall take up your offer" (should it interest you).

You seem to have a strange idea what a trial is. If you are offered a trial you take it up but are free to look elsewhere. You have shown initiative, and no employer will hold it against you.

I'm not sure why you have this strange idea that by taking up a trial you have to turn down interviews, as if you have a contract in terms of working hours you must abide by:biggrin:

As for people on here all talking about self respect; a person in law and a person in accounting on here have both said that trials are fine. We are in perfectly respectable professions thank you very much. In fact, rather than trials showing no self respect, those who have taken them actually are in a position to have more than those who are against the idea. The continuous "self respect" arguement really falls apart when you are accusing an accountant of having none...

lol, where on this thread did I specifically accuse an accountant of not having self respect? Your argument here is absolutely insane, I'm thinking your some kind of troll. You can't just be happy for me *cries*
lol, where on this thread did I specifically accuse an accountant of not having self respect? Your argument here is absolutely insane, I'm thinking your some kind of troll. You can't just be happy for me *cries*

You, and many others, clearly say have some "self respect" and don't do trials. The implication therefore being to anyone who isn't an idiot that doing one implies you have no self respect. It isn't rocket sciene. And it is quoted above many times by me. And I have clearly pointed out that, actually, the people who have done trials on here are the ones who have reaped the rewards and actually have plenty of self respect. Again, not rocket science.

The insane ones are those who think that doing a trial somehow degrades them, lowering their "self respect" to the levels of being actually lower than "a prostitute" or at an equal to "disposable garbage". Only on TSR can people think a three day trial is like being a sex worker or be equivalent to the labours of hercules. Go on to the street; if I say my viewpoint people will agree, if the left on here do people will laugh their asses off.

I'm happy for you. It doesn't make my day any better to hear someone not have a job. You have a job-great. But the whole "self respect" arguement you make is flawed, and the hatred of trials others have is also flawed. It isn't the only strange idea you have come up with-the other one being that by taking a trial you are somehow unable to attend interviews. That is obviously absolutely stupid to anyone with a brain cell. Of course you still can. The people taking you on will understand, and indeed they have no choice but to do so.

If you hadn't of got this job, turning down the trial would have been a mistake.

If you had started the trial, you could still have attended the interview for this job and still had the option of the trial job had this one fallen through. It is clearly the safer option. Again, not rocket science. Take the best option.

I can't believe how out of touch from the real world people are on here. Doing a trial is a fate worse than prostitution and taking the safe option is some huge mistake. To top it off, people bang on about having "self respect" and turning down trials when the reality is show some initiative and ambition and do them-the examples in this thread who have done so, and are in great positions due to it, are testament to that. I give up. I really do.
(edited 8 years ago)
You, and many others, clearly say have some "self respect" and don't do trials. The implication therefore being to anyone who isn't an idiot that doing one implies you have no self respect. It isn't rocket sciene. And it is quoted above many times by me. And I have clearly pointed out that, actually, the people who have done trials on here are the ones who have reaped the rewards and actually have plenty of self respect. Again, not rocket science.

The insane ones are those who think that doing a trial somehow degrades them, lowering their "self respect" to the levels of being actually lower than "a prostitute" or at an equal to "disposable garbage". Only on TSR can people think a three day trial is like being a sex worker or be equivalent to the labours of hercules. Go on to the street; if I say my viewpoint people will agree, if the left on here do people will laugh their asses off.

I'm happy for you. It doesn't make my day any better to hear someone not have a job. You have a job-great. But the whole "self respect" arguement you make is flawed, and the hatred of trials others have is also flawed. It isn't the only strange idea you have come up with-the other one being that by taking a trial you are somehow unable to attend interviews. That is obviously absolutely stupid to anyone with a brain cell. Of course you still can. The people taking you on will understand, and indeed they have no choice but to do so.

If you hadn't of got this job, turning down the trial would have been a mistake.

If you had started the trial, you could still have attended the interview for this job and still had the option of the trial job had this one fallen through. It is clearly the safer option. Again, not rocket science. Take the best option.

I find it very interesting that you care so much to spend your valuable and productive time - writing these long and intense replies on my thread , Milkshake.... This is obviously something you care for deeply.... i mean REALLY care about. And that is cool I guess.

I don't disregard unpaid trails completely , of course I have stated a day unpaid I feel could be reasonable. You imply that I would not consider a trail period at all. A few hours or a day, would certainly be enough time for an employer to test my potential on the job, especially keep in mind - this is easy retail and I have years of XP already.

This is a question of whether or not you feel worker exploitation is a good thing. Should and do all employers offer unpaid 3 day trials? why not? Is it because there are many employers who are on the side of the worker and want to treat them fairly. And also not risk their own reputation by taking on workers for a few days, during a busy retail period on purpose to keep their staff wages as low as possible (I just got some information today that this place is known by campaigners for taking on free staff on supposed 'trail' periods.)

But if you think that is all cool , then go you. *hugs* peace and love :^_^:
I'd never do three days. A couple of hours maybe but not three days...
I find it very interesting that you care so much to spend your valuable and productive time - writing these long and intense replies on my thread , Milkshake.... This is obviously something you care for deeply.... i mean REALLY care about. And that is cool I guess.

I don't disregard unpaid trails completely , of course I have stated a day unpaid I feel could be reasonable. You imply that I would not consider a trail period at all. A few hours or a day, would certainly be enough time for an employer to test my potential on the job, especially keep in mind - this is easy retail and I have years of XP already.

This is a question of whether or not you feel worker exploitation is a good thing. Should and do all employers offer unpaid 3 day trials? why not? Is it because there are many employers who are on the side of the worker and want to treat them fairly. And also not risk their own reputation by taking on workers for a few days, during a busy retail period on purpose to keep their staff wages as low as possible (I just got some information today that this place is known by campaigners for taking on free staff on supposed 'trail' periods.)

But if you think that is all cool , then go you. *hugs* peace and love :^_^:

What he is saying is that some people desperately want to be exploited. Obviously you showed outstanding moral fibre, so that isn't you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending