The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehforum
3rd time lucky :wink:

****, ikr. Preview post is a barefaced lie.
Original post by So Instinct
****, ikr. Preview post is a barefaced lie.

I'd report that as a bug.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

There also seems to be a strange thing that goes on with this case, that because she isn't a black or working class child, we shouldn't care. Surely all young children who go missing should attract the greatest possible attention and concern?

Youve got it the wrong way round. If the the child was black or working class - no one would care. But because shes a middle class white kid, the whole country was being rabble roused by the media.

And i agree. But how many missing children get this kind of media attention.
Reply 123
Original post by silverbolt
Youve got it the wrong way round. If the the child was black or working class - no one would care. But because shes a middle class white kid, the whole country was being rabble roused by the media.

You're both right. General attitudes have shifted since she went missing. If this were to happen now her whiteness would exclude her from celebrity, but it was a plus when she up and poofed out of existence.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
You have no evidence for your final two assertions.

On the question of what I accept or defend, I've read the evidence in detail unlike many people (including, visibly, many posters on this thread) and I don't believe they did anything remotely like neglect. They were a couple of minutes away from the children in what was widely taken to be a very secure environment. The sort of thing that many, many parents have done on similar holidays in similar locations. They were alternating regularly going back to check on them. Again, the sort of thing that many, many parents do.

As I said, the heat over this case constantly directed at the McCanns is a classic case of blame the victims and at the same time is self-centred loathing based on weariness over media exposure. The hate has no relationship to the actual facts of the case.

It also is (sadly) mildly defensive of active paedophiles, as there does seem to still be a tendency in abduction cases to assume that the child or the parents are somehow to blame. Paedophilia thrives in this atmosphere, where instead of directing hate and aggression to the perverted adults engaged in devious criminal abduction and torture of very young children, it is directed against the poor family themselves. Really loathsome reactions and the people having them ought to check their own personalities out and wonder why they want to support the actions of active child snatchers in this way.

What paedophiles here?....This so makes me laugh and reminds me of witch hunts or nazi anti jew propaganda where they've actually made everybody believe there's this villainous, evil paedophile ring randomly hanging about together in this place in Portugal, darkly whispering and cackling around in a circle... Yet this evil ring only kidnaps 1 child...doesn't bother ever bothering anyone ever again.....easiest thing ever to blame some random paedophiles - don't people know it's usually someone known to the family who ends up abusing children in most cases anyway.
It's known Kate McCann was probably suffering from post-natal depression and was finding it hard with 3 kids under 5 years old, hence them leaving them in the apartment, probably drugged - I watched the documentary 'madeleine was here' and it was obvious how hyperactive the two twins still were and that kate and gerry still seemed overwhelmed.
The only reason they came up with whole fiasco was to protect the other two kids they had left and try to make life as normal for them, whilst still keeping their house and being able to pay off the TONNE of student debts from medical school, as well as three rounds of IVF -- had to come up with something.....I don't blame them....just the people that are so gullible to donate money and become weirdly sentimentally attached....I just don't get that at all.
Original post by justag
She's dead, drop it. If she wasn't a blonde white little girl, nobody would care this much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't miss out that this girl is also from a middle class family... the fact she's white doesn't even escape the fact that if she was working class no ****'s would be given either :/.

I hate the times we live in.
Original post by Castro Saint
Don't miss out that this girl is also from a middle class family... the fact she's white doesn't even escape the fact that if she was working class no ****'s would be given either :/.

Very true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Castro Saint

Can you give an example of an abducted non-white child who has received minimal police attention in the last few years where the facts were not known, eg, where there was no evidence of parental removal?
Original post by Galaxies
What paedophiles here?....This so makes me laugh and reminds me of witch hunts or nazi anti jew propaganda where they've actually made everybody believe there's this villainous, evil paedophile ring randomly hanging about together in this place in Portugal, darkly whispering and cackling around in a circle... Yet this evil ring only kidnaps 1 child...doesn't bother ever bothering anyone ever again.....easiest thing ever to blame some random paedophiles - don't people know it's usually someone known to the family who ends up abusing children in most cases anyway.
It's known Kate McCann was probably suffering from post-natal depression and was finding it hard with 3 kids under 5 years old, hence them leaving them in the apartment, probably drugged - I watched the documentary 'madeleine was here' and it was obvious how hyperactive the two twins still were and that kate and gerry still seemed overwhelmed.
The only reason they came up with whole fiasco was to protect the other two kids they had left and try to make life as normal for them, whilst still keeping their house and being able to pay off the TONNE of student debts from medical school, as well as three rounds of IVF -- had to come up with something.....I don't blame them....just the people that are so gullible to donate money and become weirdly sentimentally attached....I just don't get that at all.

You make loads of allegations there, what's your evidence? Some of things you say were in the early press reports in the Express and Mail, all of which have been repeatedly proven to be false and which the McCanns were given large damages for. I haven't heard some of your points before, did you just make some of them up?
Original post by silverbolt

I already gave another example of similar young child (but working class) who disappeared in Wales and there was HUGE media and police attention.

All of the conspiracy theorists claiming the McCanns have had undue help should remember that for the first years of the disappearance, they received very little help as it was in the hands of the useless Portuguese authorities.
You make loads of allegations there, what's your evidence? Some of things you say were in the early press reports in the Express and Mail, all of which have been repeatedly proven to be false and which the McCanns were given large damages for. I haven't heard some of your points before, did you just make some of them up?

Well they did do IVF three times at least - first was unsuccessful second was Madeleine, third time: the twins -- it's probably about £10,000 each time, so you can imagine the financial pressure. As well as IVF they were paying off medical school debts, which is more than an average student would accumulate.....then their house mortgage they were/are also still paying off.
Kate Mccann used to drop her children off at a daycare it was generally reported that she seemed down and depressed and an employee thought she probably had postnatal depression - completely understandable
In the documentary 'Madeleine was here' - the remaining kids are screaming and running around hyperactive - Gerry gets home and it does not look like he is able to handle it too well. His bedside manner as a doctor wasn't that great either.
The sniffer dogs scented a human corpse smell, which means that a dead human must have been in the room for at least an hour and moved around a few places - probably as they were panicking trying to figure out what to do. Cadaver scent on Kate Mccann's clothing and that 'cuddle cat' thing -- her excuse was: she went to sign a death certificate while working as a GP.......even though she only worked around 1 hour a week and would hardly be signing death certificates and smothering a child's toy over a random dead body at work ....and the scent isn't transferable....as well as the fact why would you take the same clothes you wear for seeing one dead body at work on holiday.....
Death scent also in the rented car boot.
Signs of lying in Interviews: if kate answers 'no' she nods her head, if Kate answers 'yes' she shakes her head....these are signs of knowing you are lying. It's pretty obvious that Gerry finds the whole thing a bit of a joke too... that he has managed to get away with it.
I don't even mind, I mean it is totally understandable that you wouldn't want to end up in jail for killing your child, have a tonne more legal fees when you're already in a tonne of debt already....after going to all those lengths to have kids in the first place only to ruin their lives....they did for their remaining kids...and now I think they need to keep out of the media - since the surviving kids are at an age where they will keep being referred to as 'madeleine mccann's siblings' - their life shouldn't have to revolve around it....
I never got what was so special about her and why people get sentimentally attached to this story, it's so dull and boring. Kind of makes me angry and disgusted.....it makes absolutely no sense.... plenty of more easily available & cuter kids to kidnap
The McCanns were unbelievably stupid and irresponsible for leaving their young children alone in the bedroom; whilst they went out for a meal with 'friends'. I wouldn't call these friends, someone should have told them it was plain wrong to leave their kids alone. We have stayed at that particular resort with our 3 kids (all under five at the time) and went out without them for the evening... but we had arranged a babysitter - small price to pay for peace of mind, not that we would have even considered leaving them alone at that age.

Still not sure I believe the McCanns story....
Reply 132
Original post by StevePownall
The McCanns were unbelievably stupid and irresponsible for leaving their young children alone in the bedroom; whilst they went out for a meal with 'friends'. I wouldn't call these friends, someone should have told them it was plain wrong to leave their kids alone. We have stayed at that particular resort with our 3 kids (all under five at the time) and went out without them for the evening... but we had arranged a babysitter - small price to pay for peace of mind, not that we would have even considered leaving them alone at that age.

I think it's a shame that Maddy had to die because of her parent's dreadful, soft-headed neglect. And that's assuming that you're wrong and that her parents didn't have some involvement, whereas really I think I agree with you that something's not quite right about it.

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Original post by StevePownall

Nor do I. The cadavar dogs are the biggest red flag for me.
Not supposedly, they did
Original post by KimKallstrom
Supposedly they paid off their mortgage with some of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending