The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyx
Yup, that's me, well remembered! :biggrin:
Thank you so much for this, I am very tempted!
I've managed to narrow it down to Worcester or New, but honestly, from what I've read, all the colleges sound amazing :biggrin:
If you're offered an interview, are you interviewed in more than one college?

To be honest, nobody will be able to give you a solid answer on that. It's college dependent and changes every year :smile: The only thing that's likely to happen is that you'll be asked about your PS and submitted essays, and then you might be given a source to discuss :smile:
Original post by lucyx
If you're offered an interview, are you interviewed in more than one college?

I dunno about history but for music, all applicants get at least 2 interviews. I imagine history would be similar and that you'd have at least one interview away from the college you applied to/got pooled to :yes:
GCSE grades: 4A*s 5As 3Bs
A-Levels: AAAAB
Course: Economics and Management
College: Magdalen
Does media studies at GCSE affect chances of getting into Oxford; A-levels are English lit, Bio, Spanish, Chem (AS: AAAB, predicted A*A*A*)
Original post by nichole199810
Does media studies at GCSE affect chances of getting into Oxford; A-levels are English lit, Bio, Spanish, Chem (AS: AAAB, predicted A*A*A*)

Not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the quick reply. I feel so relieved because I keep reading that seeing media studies on GCSEs ruins ur chance because it's not an academic subjects. I'm applying for Spanish and Portuguese. Do u know people who have had these types of subjects and still got in?
Original post by aasvogel
Hey,

My school entered me as an open application for the TSA but said that it's OK as I have specified my preferred college on my UCAS form. Is this true? If I put open application on my TSA registration but put Magdalen down on my UCAS form (which I have already submitted to my school) will my choice still default to Magdalen?
Reply 2367
Original post by blindambition
Hey,

My school entered me as an open application for the TSA but said that it's OK as I have specified my preferred college on my UCAS form. Is this true? If I put open application on my TSA registration but put Magdalen down on my UCAS form (which I have already submitted to my school) will my choice still default to Magdalen?

What you wrote on your UCAS will determine your college and not the registration of TSA. So yes, your choice will still be to Magdalen.
Original post by maberg
What you wrote on your UCAS will determine your college and not the registration of TSA. So yes, your choice will still be to Magdalen.

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply! That's a relief
Thanks for the quick reply. I feel so relieved because I keep reading that seeing media studies on GCSEs ruins ur chance because it's not an academic subjects. I'm applying for Spanish and Portuguese. Do u know people who have had these types of subjects and still got in?

In the grand scheme of things, one subject at GCSE will not have much bearing on your application. Provided the rest of your GCSEs are fine and you do well enough at AS (as you've done) and perform well at the admissions tests and interview then Oxford won't give a second thought to one subject you studied at GCSE.

Students did GCSE Learning for Life and Work and got an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by klefki
GCSE grades: 4A*s 5As 3Bs
A-Levels: AAAAB
Course: Economics and Management
College: Magdalen

Magdalen doesn't offer E&M....
Original post by antigone-
My teacher did Law at Oxford and said the same about Merton! It is lovely though :lol:

Where else are you considering?

Sorry, I just saw this! :lol:

Haha, clearly Merton has a reputation :tongue: I didn't get to see it when I went for the open day though xD

Keble and LMH are my top two, though I'm also considering Somerville and New. Swaying towards LMH, such a lovely and friendly college from what I saw. Keble's accomodation seems to be extortionate for decent sized room, so I'm not too sure on that.

How about you? Considering anywhere else or are you set on Magdalen? XD
I'm applying for Spanish and Portuguese. Do u know people who have had these types of subjects and still got in?

Well, I took Drama at GCSE and I've got in for French and Philosophy :smile: I also dropped Spanish at AS, which I thought might be a dangerous move since I was applying to study a language, but everything turned out OK. As long as you show that you're interested in mainly academic subjects (and most importantly the subjects you want to study) I think you should be OK in terms of your qualifications :wink:
Original post by danniegee
Well, I took Drama at GCSE and I've got in for French and Philosophy :smile: I also dropped Spanish at AS, which I thought might be a dangerous move since I was applying to study a language, but everything turned out OK. As long as you show that you're interested in mainly academic subjects (and most importantly the subjects you want to study) I think you should be OK in terms of your qualifications :wink:

Thankss! And well done! :smile:
firstly, good luck to all the new applicants (I was in your position last year and sympathise with the nerves you all must be feeling)! I'm considering making a YouTube channel which would post weekly videos about my experience at Oxford as I'll be starting there this October. I could also post some videos about what my interview experience was like; everyone has a different experience but I remember wanting all possible information and stories before I was interviewed!
Reply 2375
Original post by chicken15642
firstly, good luck to all the new applicants (I was in your position last year and sympathise with the nerves you all must be feeling)! I'm considering making a YouTube channel which would post weekly videos about my experience at Oxford as I'll be starting there this October. I could also post some videos about what my interview experience was like; everyone has a different experience but I remember wanting all possible information and stories before I was interviewed!

I think that is a great idea! Is there even a youtube channel of which posts videos regularly about the student life of Oxford?
What course are you reading? :smile:
Original post by maberg
I think that is a great idea! Is there even a youtube channel of which posts videos regularly about the student life of Oxford?
What course are you reading? :smile:

I watched a few before I went up, I'd recommend OxVlog because it has quite a few different perspectives on Oxford. I'm going to be reading History so my videos would probably focus on humanities based subjects as I didn't even take a science at A-level (triple science GCSE drove me away from science).
I watched a few before I went up, I'd recommend OxVlog because it has quite a few different perspectives on Oxford. I'm going to be reading History so my videos would probably focus on humanities based subjects as I didn't even take a science at A-level (triple science GCSE drove me away from science).

I'm going for history and politics, so would be interested to hear anything about your interview, and any HAT tips if possible. Just finishing my PS so I'm ready to start freaking out about everything else now!
Original post by thechemistress
Sorry, I just saw this! :lol:

Haha, clearly Merton has a reputation :tongue: I didn't get to see it when I went for the open day though xD

Keble and LMH are my top two, though I'm also considering Somerville and New. Swaying towards LMH, such a lovely and friendly college from what I saw. Keble's accomodation seems to be extortionate for decent sized room, so I'm not too sure on that.

How about you? Considering anywhere else or are you set on Magdalen? XD

I didn't like Somerville too much when I visited but my friend stayed in LMH and adored it!

I applied on Friday so Magdalen it is! :biggrin:
Reply 2379

That would be super helpful! Thanks :biggrin:
Which college?

Latest

Trending

Trending