The Student Room Group

LNAT 2016 - Any advice/tips?

So I'm applying to Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Nottingham and LSE to study Law for September 2016...
Obviously as I am applying to Cambridge I'll be sending off my UCAS early, most likely within the first week of October. Yet I'll be sitting the LNAT for 3 of my University choices (UCL, Durham, Nottingham) and was wondering how much time I should leave between sending off UCAS and actually sitting the LNAT. Would sitting it a few weeks after sending off UCAS be a detriment to my application?
I also had some concerns about the test itself - it seems really difficult from the past papers I've done, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer any advice about the multiple choice questions especially!
Thanks everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Poppycharlotte
So I'm applying to Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Nottingham and LSE to study Law for September 2016...
Obviously as I am applying to Cambridge I'll be sending off my UCAS early, most likely within the first week of October. Yet I'll be sitting the LNAT for 3 of my University choices (UCL, Durham, Nottingham) and was wondering how much time I should leave between sending off UCAS and actually sitting the LNAT. Would sitting it a few weeks after sending off UCAS be a detriment to my application?
I also had some concerns about the test itself - it seems really difficult from the past papers I've done, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer any advice about the multiple choice questions especially!

You can sit the LNAT whenever.
The LNAT is difficult, and really I can't offer any advice on the MCQs, except that two answers are probably always out of the question, and you're left with two marginally different answers - of course one of which is the right answer.
Original post by tehforum
You can sit the LNAT whenever.
The LNAT is difficult, and really I can't offer any advice on the MCQs, except that two answers are probably always out of the question, and you're left with two marginally different answers - of course one of which is the right answer.

Thank you! Would it be okay to sit it in November then, and the universities would not mind? I just find some of the terminology quite confusing :frown:
Thank you! Would it be okay to sit it in November then, and the universities would not mind? I just find some of the terminology quite confusing :frown:

What have the universities said?
What have the universities said?

Nothing specific, they're all fairly vague about it so I had to inquire on here
:confused:
Nothing specific, they're all fairly vague about it so I had to inquire on here
:confused:

Well, I'd say earlier is better as the unis won't be able to process your app until they receive your LNAT score.

You could get an offer earlier, than if you had waited until November.
Well, I'd say earlier is better as the unis won't be able to process your app until they receive your LNAT score.

You could get an offer earlier, than if you had waited until November.

Okay, thank you !:smile: I'll most likely arrange it a fortnight or so after, obviously it'd be way less stressful to (potentially) have offers earlier :biggrin:

I sat my LNAT last Thursday - a day before my application was sent to my unis of choice by UCAS.

You can't really prepare for the LNAT in the way you would an academic test, but it does help to do some past papers so you know what kinds of questions to expect, as well as a few practice essays.

The biggest problem you'll probably have is time management. I managed to finish both sections of the LNAT but I had no time to check over afterwards.
Original post by connieiscrazy
I sat my LNAT last Thursday - a day before my application was sent to my unis of choice by UCAS.

You can't really prepare for the LNAT in the way you would an academic test, but it does help to do some past papers so you know what kinds of questions to expect, as well as a few practice essays.

The biggest problem you'll probably have is time management. I managed to finish both sections of the LNAT but I had no time to check over afterwards.

What unis are you applying for?:smile: I've been doing a few - for me, time management is also an issue. How did you find the essay section/what question did you answer, if you dont mind me asking?
Tips: I'd just say keep practicing :smile: you can't revise for it, but you can prepare for it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What unis are you applying for?:smile: I've been doing a few - for me, time management is also an issue. How did you find the essay section/what question did you answer, if you dont mind me asking?

I'm applying to Oxford, Durham, Nottingham, Newcastle, and Manchester. I can't even remember now lmao sorry but they probs change the essays for each test
they probs change the essays for each test

They definitely do

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to Oxford, Durham, Nottingham, Newcastle, and Manchester. I can't even remember now lmao sorry but they probs change the essays for each test

I know they change them each time - I was just curious to see what things came up and how you approached it :smile:
I know they change them each time - I was just curious to see what things came up and how you approached it :smile:

I remember drawing upon AS Religious Studies knowledge.... xD
As I said on an other thread. LNAT is not easy. But yes! you can crack it very easily if you are determined and you are good enough. I am not judging what or how students/person should be, but of course your ability towards intelligence is the key to crack LNAT easily.

Talking about the questions, yes there is no such way you can practice for it but yes! if you practice some Mock papers you will be able to understand the type/patterns of the questions that you will probably face on the exam day. So, yes again, you have to keep practicing for it otherwise it is quite tough to crack LNAT. Also don't forget that there is also an Essay portion which can easily hike your score. So, try to practice, or take help from a tutor on the essay section as well.

If you don't know where to start then you can simply google for any courses available on the internet.
I remember drawing upon AS Religious Studies knowledge.... xD

That should be pretty useful then, as I did AS RS/am carrying it on at A2 !
Original post by subhadeep6270
As I said on an other thread. LNAT is not easy. But yes! you can crack it very easily if you are determined and you are good enough. I am not judging what or how students/person should be, but of course your ability towards intelligence is the key to crack LNAT easily.

Talking about the questions, yes there is no such way you can practice for it but yes! if you practice some Mock papers you will be able to understand the type/patterns of the questions that you will probably face on the exam day. So, yes again, you have to keep practicing for it otherwise it is quite tough to crack LNAT. Also don't forget that there is also an Essay portion which can easily hike your score. So, try to practice, or take help from a tutor on the essay section as well.

If you don't know where to start then you can simply google for any courses available on the internet.

Thanks for all the advice! I've got a practice/guidance book and am attempting all the multiple choice right now... Not going very well though :frown: essay section however is much more approachable (as someone doing 4 essay based A levels). Don't different universities score the essay section differently?:smile:
That should be pretty useful then, as I did AS RS/am carrying it on at A2 !

That's if the question is similar rofl
Good luck tho x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Guys, I have mine on Friday... I'm so scared. Untimed and doing it every so often i got 30/42 but then timed I got 16!!!! I don't know if this is just stress or something but as the date is drawing in, I need all the advice I can get!! I'm hoping to apply to LSE, UCL, Durham, King's, Warwick. LSE and Warwick don't require it, but I'm starting to think whether I should pop one more non-LNAT university in there. Also, do we get the results for the MCQ on the day- like they do with UKCAT- or in January?!?!
Original post by Katbo
Guys, I have mine on Friday... I'm so scared. Untimed and doing it every so often i got 30/42 but then timed I got 16!!!! I don't know if this is just stress or something but as the date is drawing in, I need all the advice I can get!! I'm hoping to apply to LSE, UCL, Durham, King's, Warwick. LSE and Warwick don't require it, but I'm starting to think whether I should pop one more non-LNAT university in there. Also, do we get the results for the MCQ on the day- like they do with UKCAT- or in January?!?!

Good luck! Try and fit in as much timed practice as you can, it's really important! Tbh, the LNAT is contextualised so much, there's no need to forfeit a uni (imo) :smile: And we get the results in Jan/Feb:frown:, how annoying, right!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending