The Student Room Group

What's your lowest split on a rowing machine?

Just curious as to what your rowing machine (ergo) lowest splits are.
Split is the big number that tells you how long it'll take you to do 500m.

Please state age/gender too! :smile:
Mine is 1:22, I'm 15 and a boy.

Scroll to see replies

Please tell me some of you numpties have been on an erg before :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No replies and lots of views?
Post then, don't just lurk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not everyone who views it will even use a rowing machine, let alone appreciate the pushy tone, mate.

Just some advice.
1.13, 17 and I'm a guy.

What's your best for 500 though?
Original post by Duskstar
1.13, 17 and I'm a guy.

Nice! I don't remember last time I did 500 sorry. I recently did a 3:32 1k and I'm due a 2k soon, hoping to get around 7:20 to 7:25.
I also did a 325m 1 minute sprint! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
1.13, 17 and I'm a guy.

Intrigued now - how do you get it so low? The lowest I've seen is a guy getting 1:19 and he's massive.

How heavy are you? I'm 81kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoenixsilver
Nice! I don't remember last time I did 500 sorry. I recently did a 3:32 1k and I'm due a 2k soon, hoping to get around 7:20 to 7:25.
I also did a 325m 1 minute sprint! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! That's pretty good for someone your age :smile:

Intrigued now - how do you get it so low? The lowest I've seen is a guy getting 1:19 and he's massive.

How heavy are you? I'm 81kg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 92kg atm - the main key to 'lowest split' is just to pull it as fast and hard as you can, and basically throw out your back at the catch lol (at least for me) since it's never going to be useful nobody cares about technique - but then there's someone I know who's lighter than me and a fair bit shorter who can hit 1.12 lowest split - what he does is just go full arms and almost no legs, as high rate as he can :P
Nice! That's pretty good for someone your age :smile:

I'm 92kg atm - the main key to 'lowest split' is just to pull it as fast and hard as you can, and basically throw out your back at the catch lol (at least for me) since it's never going to be useful nobody cares about technique - but then there's someone I know who's lighter than me and a fair bit shorter who can hit 1.12 lowest split - what he does is just go full arms and almost no legs, as high rate as he can :P

Wow. That's damn impressive, and I know you're meant to use your arms in short bursts - I know a guy my age with massive arms (coincidentally tiny arms so awful at long distance) and he can get 1:21.
Generally I do half slide at sprints, I don't extend my legs and body fully and I don't lean back - I guess it's all about developing muscle! I'm guessing you have to get someone to hold the erg while you sprint or it shunts? I haven't been allowed to do weight training up until I'm J16 so I have started now :tongue:

Are you a water rower as well or just ergs for gym and fitness?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow. That's damn impressive, and I know you're meant to use your arms in short bursts - I know a guy my age with massive arms (coincidentally tiny arms so awful at long distance) and he can get 1:21.
Generally I do half slide at sprints, I don't extend my legs and body fully and I don't lean back - I guess it's all about developing muscle! I'm guessing you have to get someone to hold the erg while you sprint or it shunts? I haven't been allowed to do weight training up until I'm J16 so I have started now :tongue:

Are you a water rower as well or just ergs for gym and fitness?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I stopped swimming a year ago to take up rowing, and we do mainly sculling on water - ergs are just a fitness/winter training thing, and we do gym sessions ~once a week in winter too. When we do lowest split, yes we get people to hold the ergs :P Sometimes for normal sprints we dump weights at either end too lol.
I stopped swimming a year ago to take up rowing, and we do mainly sculling on water - ergs are just a fitness/winter training thing, and we do gym sessions ~once a week in winter too. When we do lowest split, yes we get people to hold the ergs :P Sometimes for normal sprints we dump weights at either end too lol.

same here then. you row for a school or club?
I'm with a club myself, also do sculling (wintech or gtfo :tongue: ).

Winter training is a pain, although what annoys me is the head races at 7AM in the middle of winter!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
same here then. you row for a school or club?
I'm with a club myself, also do sculling (wintech or gtfo :tongue: ).

Winter training is a pain, although what annoys me is the head races at 7AM in the middle of winter!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I row for a club too - my least favourite bit of winter training is how cold my hands get - if they stayed warm I'd probably enjoy it more than rowing in the sweltering heat of English summers :P
-1:00.
The fastest I've ever seen? 0.08 but that is because the ergs mess up if you go really, really slowly. :tongue:

My personal fastest is around 1:22 instantaneously. The fastest I have seen instantaneously is 1:08, but this in large part had to do with the guy pulling so hard he lifted the front end of the erg off of the ground. He does around a 1:24 500m from memory.

In terms of other times I have a 3:25 1K and a 7:17 2K, though I will be redoing the latter reasonably soon.
Original post by DJMayes
The fastest I've ever seen? 0.08 but that is because the ergs mess up if you go really, really slowly. :tongue:

My personal fastest is around 1:22 instantaneously. The fastest I have seen instantaneously is 1:08, but this in large part had to do with the guy pulling so hard he lifted the front end of the erg off of the ground. He does around a 1:24 500m from memory.

In terms of other times I have a 3:25 1K and a 7:17 2K, though I will be redoing the latter reasonably soon.

You sound similar to me, you're faster on the 1 and 2k by a bit.
How old are you?
Also yes I got 0:16 somehow once when putting the handle back...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound similar to me, you're faster on the 1 and 2k by a bit.
How old are you?
Also yes I got 0:16 somehow once when putting the handle back...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 20. Took up rowing at uni.
There isn't much point posting a lowest split, it means almost nothing.

Anyone can pull a low split, what seperates them is if they can sustain that split for the next 2,000 meters.
2 k time 6:46 16 years old 6ft 4 96kg
Reply 19
Original post by JP Schofield
2 k time 6:46 16 years old 6ft 4 96kg

You're 16? 6 foot 4 and you weigh 94kg? You absolute animal.

Do you lift weights?

Quick Reply

Latest