The Student Room Group

Engineering at Oxbridge.

Hi all,
I'm currently in A2, and applying to University very shortly. I've got 90%, 93%, 92% and 83% in AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology respectively, just dropped Biology and carry on with my other 3, which I have 3* as predicted grades. I intend to do chemical engineering at Oxbridge. With my grades, between Oxford and Cambridge, which would I have higher chance to get into?
Would only have 3 A levels make my application less competitive?
Thank you all!
It varies.
Dependent upon your GCSEs, you could go either way.
Oxford look more at your GCSEs/AS combined whereas Cambridge looks in more depth at your AS results if your GCSEs were lacklustre. Cambridge admissions look at the ums average of your top 3 grades. It's said that Mathematics should be 95% average and others at least 90%. Though people have been accepted with lesser percentages.

So there you go:
If your GCSEs are as stellar as your AS, then Oxford, but if your GCSEs aren't all that, Cambridge. Though if it's your preference to study at Oxford, then you should still apply, as your AS grades are quite remarkable.
Edit: also, I'd suggest keeping Biology as having four shows you're more than capable. But if you do drop Biology, you need to ensure your grades remain stellar.

Good luck!
- The Lawful T.J

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sieunhanluoi
Hi all,
I'm currently in A2, and applying to University very shortly. I've got 90%, 93%, 92% and 83% in AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology respectively, just dropped Biology and carry on with my other 3, which I have 3* as predicted grades. I intend to do chemical engineering at Oxbridge. With my grades, between Oxford and Cambridge, which would I have higher chance to get into?
Thank you all!

Lack of further maths can be your disadvantage for Cambridge.
Don't know about Oxford, though.
Reply 3
Original post by The Lawful T.J
It's said that Mathematics should be 95% average and others at least 90%.

By who? Not by Cambridge Admissions Tutors anyway. It's by no means that prescriptive.
Reply 4
Original post by vincrows
Lack of further maths can be your disadvantage for Cambridge.
Don't know about Oxford, though.

Hi,
How about applying through Natural Sciences at Cambridge?!
Reply 5
Hi,

Would still be useful to do AS FM in Y13 if possible.
Reply 6
If you apply to Cambridge you'll have to do STEP.

Also, take the course itself into consideration as both are different.
Reply 7
Original post by kkboyk
If you apply to Cambridge you'll have to do STEP.

No you don't.

Only Christ's typically asks for STEP (1 in I) for Engineering. And they give more offers because of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Doesn't matter which.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/chemical-engineering

It's not 'required' by all the colleges but some colleges do because you'll need to be really capable in maths for any engineering. And many successful candidates apply with it, You'll be in competition against those.
Original post by jneill
By who? Not by Cambridge Admissions Tutors anyway. It's by no means that prescriptive.

It said it when I did thorough research about Cambridge in regards to ums. It stated that 95% was somewhat necessary as Mathematics is straight forward in terms of exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It said it when I did thorough research about Cambridge in regards to ums. It stated that 95% was somewhat necessary as Mathematics is straight forward in terms of exams.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What's "it"?
Reply 11

Link to source please...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true. No minimum required, just that you're on track to meet the typical offer.
Hi all,
Thank you all!

Why Oxbridge? If you know you want to do Chemical Engineering then somewhere you can do that specific degree with a year in industry might be a better choice.
Hi,

You have decent scores and an appropriate subject combinations for Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences. Chemistry and Maths are essential at Peterhouse and Physics A2 and Biology to AS are advantageous, as is Further Maths at A2. Whilst an ideal candidate would have all of these subjects, we only expect candidates to be taking 3 subjects in year 13. Your application may be a little weaker than it would otherwise be without Further Maths, but you should still consider applying. Do be sure to research College opinions thoroughly as there are differences on this.

Does your school offer Further Maths? Others have pointed out that you will be in competition with candidates taking further maths so it's not a bad idea to make sure you're really on top of the maths you've covered and to have had a look at some bits from further maths (particularly things like mechanics).
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
Link to source please...

although I don't have written evidence I can tell you that when I went to a Cambridge open day and I personally spoke to the engineering tutor at one of the colleges, he told me that to be a realistic candidate you need 95% ums average across all your subjects ( not as the other guy said in just mathematics ).
Reply 16
Original post by nhtw
although I don't have written evidence I can tell you that when I went to a Cambridge open day and I personally spoke to the engineering tutor at one of the colleges, he told me that to be a realistic candidate you need 95% ums average across all your subjects ( not as the other guy said in just mathematics ).

You probably misinterpreted what they said. That's the average of offer holders. Therefore there are "realistic candidates" below (and above it).

Look at this chart, there's actually more offer holders with SUMS below 95 than above.
Engineering UMS attainment.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
You probably misinterpreted what they said. That's the average of offer holders. Therefore there are "realistic candidates" below (and above it).

Look at this chart, there's actually more offer holders with SUMS below 95 than above.
Engineering UMS attainment.jpg

I did not misinterpret what he said, he made it quite clear this is what he expected.

Looking at that chart, the percentage of people who get lower than 95 SUMS and receive offers is much lower than the percentage of people who get above 95 SUMS so just talking about the number of offers given is, I believe, quite misleading.

I'd also like to add my own chart for chemical engineers and I think you'll find, even if you are correct for engineering, that it is quite conclusive for OP who is applying for Chem Eng.

I'd really suggest OP apply to Oxford and impress at the PAT

desr.png
Reply 18
Original post by nhtw
I did not misinterpret what he said, he made it quite clear this is what he expected.

Looking at that chart, the percentage of people who get lower than 95 SUMS and receive offers is much lower than the percentage of people who get above 95 SUMS so just talking about the number of offers given is, I believe, quite misleading.

I'd also like to add my own chart for chemical engineers and I think you'll find, even if you are correct for engineering, that it is quite conclusive for OP who is applying for Chem Eng.

I'd really suggest OP apply to Oxford and impress at the PAT

desr.png

Well, well, I didn't even notice the Chem Eng chart in there. Yep you're correct. :smile:

Although it is strange it doesn't match either Engineering or Natural Sciences.

Anyway... OP should wander over the The Other Place :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending