The Student Room Group

Would you do a 3 day unpaid trial in a shop?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _icecream
I agree, 3 days is nothing. Better than being forced to do workfare cutting grass in the parks and clearing litter in the cold with no guarantee of a job once you've completed it.

A trial doesn't guarantee work though. I've known it where people have done unpaid trials and then been turned down.
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
I find it very interesting that you care so much to spend your valuable and productive time - writing these long and intense replies on my thread , Milkshake.... This is obviously something you care for deeply.... i mean REALLY care about. And that is cool I guess.

I have a good job. My time is certainly more productive than yours per hour. Insult me all you like though, its cool. I am educated-I don't need to spend my time outside of work educating myself. I work hard and contribute to society whilst taking little out-that is pretty cool.
And I do care that lazy bastards take money from the NHS at a time when it takes weeks to see a GP and cancer drugs are not being offered. I do care that lazy scroungers are taking money that could be used on defence at a time when the country is seeing the highest terrorist threat in 30 years. I do care.
So I find it very interesting that you talk of my productivity, like I am some low wage/no wage idiot. But that is cool I guess.

I don't disregard unpaid trails completely , of course I have stated a day unpaid I feel could be reasonable. You imply that I would not consider a trail period at all. A few hours or a day, would certainly be enough time for an employer to test my potential on the job, especially keep in mind - this is easy retail and I have years of XP already.

This is a question of whether or not you feel worker exploitation is a good thing. Should and do all employers offer unpaid 3 day trials? why not? Is it because there are many employers who are on the side of the worker and want to treat them fairly. And also not risk their own reputation by taking on workers for a few days, during a busy retail period on purpose to keep their staff wages as low as possible (I just got some information today that this place is known by campaigners for taking on free staff on supposed 'trail' periods.)

But if you think that is all cool , then go you. *hugs* peace and love :^_^:

We have seen enough from the nutters on here thinking a three day trial is like "prostitution" and other hilarious views. For all the rubbish spouted, the best option is to take trials. No one has said anything to suggest otherwise. The best attempt was by you-a pitiful "but I couldn't have got another job if I went". And that was justifiably laughed at.
It seems we have gone from saying I have no "self respect" (which I put to bed) to now questioning my productivity. Again, I am quite productive per hour-I think this is going the same way as the "self respect" jibes...
Original post by i<3milkshake
We have seen enough from the nutters on here thinking a three day trial is like "prostitution" and other hilarious views. For all the rubbish spouted, the best option is to take trials. No one has said anything to suggest otherwise. The best attempt was by you-a pitiful "but I couldn't have got another job if I went". And that was justifiably laughed at.
It seems we have gone from saying I have no "self respect" (which I put to bed) to now questioning my productivity. Again, I am quite productive per hour-I think this is going the same way as the "self respect" jibes...

it's a shame your argument is starting to get a little personal and insulting. But it's ok I still love you. :heart::teehee:
it's a shame your argument is starting to get a little personal and insulting. But it's ok I still love you. :heart::teehee:

What actually happened is people have tried to insult me and I have just clearly stated how actually, their insults apply much more to them than me.

Insulting people by pointing out the hypocrisy of their own insults is reasonable I think. And I think I laugh with good justification at those who think doing a three day trial is worse than being a "prostitute" or "disposable garbage". I mean they really are being more than just a little silly-they are complete idiots.

But it's ok, getting insulted by your own insults is all the rage these days:h:
Original post by thisistheend
What he is saying is that some people desperately want to be exploited. Obviously you showed outstanding moral fibre, so that isn't you.

Got it in one:smile:

The lawyer and the accountant feel REALLY exploited right now.

(lol)
What actually happened is people have tried to insult me and I have just clearly stated how actually, their insults apply much more to them than me.

Insulting people by pointing out the hypocrisy of their own insults is reasonable I think. And I think I laugh with good justification at those who think doing a three day trial is worse than being a "prostitute" or "disposable garbage". I mean they really are being more than just a little silly-they are complete idiots.

But it's ok, getting insulted by your own insults is all the rage these days:h:

ok thank you. well I hope if this thread carries on we can all have a more calm discussion.

Perhaps they are using those examples, not meaning it literally - just to show how strong they feel about this issue.

Anyway we will never agree Milkshake, as I am someone who is against workfare also. :redface:

Unless it was for a good employer where the job is skilled, I would be willing to work for way more free hours as the experience I will get from a skilled role would be vital. However in retail, It really is a different ball game. Maybe you see it differently still but thats cool. Anyway I have my job on tues woot!
Original post by Jabberwox
A trial doesn't guarantee work though. I've known it where people have done unpaid trials and then been turned down.

When I was 17 I did 4 hours unpaid at costa and didn't get taken on!. Imagine how you would feel if it was 3 days. Ga!
Seeing as you've got a job elsewhere please name and shame this company that wanted a three day trial period for essentially an unskilled job.

(I haven't read much of the thread so you may have already said...)
Original post by Mega0448
Seeing as you've got a job elsewhere please name and shame this company that wanted a three day trial period for essentially an unskilled job.

(I haven't read much of the thread so you may have already said...)

hmm, do you think i should on here? they have my CV and personal details. Maybe i could let boycott workfare know the name>?
Got nothing on the Job Centre. 8 weeks' worth of "work experience", just under 30 hours a week, unpaid and no job at the end of it.
hmm, do you think i should on here? they have my CV and personal details. Maybe i could let boycott workfare know the name>?

If it's a large company how are they going to know who you are? They probably do it to everyone who applies.

Plus what will happen if they do know it's you?
Original post by Hashim123
Got nothing on the Job Centre. 8 weeks' worth of "work experience", just under 30 hours a week, unpaid and no job at the end of it.

I don't think that's right at all, sorry you've been made to do that.
Original post by Mega0448
If it's a large company how are they going to know who you are? They probably do it to everyone who applies.

Plus what will happen if they do know it's you?

no they are a small-ish business. Well, if they are happy enough to take free workers, And if I start a campaign against them, I wouldn't trust them not to (ok maybe i'm really over reacting but still)
Create identity fraud with a third party using my data. :unsure:
3 days unpaid trial in a costume shop? Ffs, that is pathetic. :colonhash: I wouldn't do it, I'd be okay doing a day, anything else is ridiculous and should be illegal for low skilled jobs.
They are taking the piss but I need money :frown:

There are pot washing jobs around here that are known to just recycle 'trial' for part time jobs just to get free work. They just want some free work.

You should at least be given the job and then put on a trial period where you still get paid but they can get rid of you if they think you aren't up to it. That's what happened on my last crap min wage job.

I remember the Job Centre put me on something like this. I had to go and work for Tesco unpaid for several hours a day. It was meant to go on for at least a fortnight but I only did it for a week because I couldn't afford the travel costs and they wouldn't reimburse me either, so they let me come off it.

They gave all this spiel about it being ''experience'' and equipping you with skills and all that crap. I didn't learn anything except how to re-arrange tins of baked beans on the shelves.
Original post by Jabberwox
I remember the Job Centre put me on something like this. I had to go and work for Tesco unpaid for several hours a day. It was meant to go on for at least a fortnight but I only did it for a week because I couldn't afford the travel costs and they wouldn't reimburse me either, so they let me come off it.

They gave all this spiel about it being ''experience'' and equipping you with skills and all that crap. I didn't learn anything except how to re-arrange tins of baked beans on the shelves.

How long ago was this? You're incredibly lucky they let you come off without being sanctioned for it, I'm guessing you lived far away enough that the travel costs were too steep for them to pay. It was one of two choices I got, the other being a 4-week Mandatory Work Activity with a charity, which the JC advisor at the time made it clear would be relative hell compared to the 8-week one.

I won't deny that it gave me some necessary experience in retail, but it didn't need to go on for half as long as it needed to or have half as much hours as it did to do that. It was, essentially, another baton in the Job Centre's arsenal of demeaning job-seekers, and a way for Debenhams to get some free labour.
How long ago was this? You're incredibly lucky they let you come off without being sanctioned for it, I'm guessing you lived far away enough that the travel costs were too steep for them to pay. It was one of two choices I got, the other being a 4-week Mandatory Work Activity with a charity, which the JC advisor at the time made it clear would be relative hell compared to the 8-week one.

I won't deny that it gave me some necessary experience in retail, but it didn't need to go on for half as long as it needed to or have half as much hours as it did to do that. It was, essentially, another baton in the Job Centre's arsenal of demeaning job-seekers, and a way for Debenhams to get some free labour.

It was when I signed on after finishing A-Levels so it must've been 2011. I lived quite a long way where there were no bus routes so my mum used to have to take me every day but there was no reimbursement for some reason so they just let me come off it.

I think these schemes are sometimes a way of getting unpaid labour out of people. A couple of hours is fine, or even a full day just to get a feel of the place but anything more than a few days should be paid in my opinion. It's just taking advantage.

It's a shame the Job Centre don't actually find proper paid jobs for people as opposed to twiddling their thumbs and putting them on these daft unpaid schemes. I agree, it's so demeaning.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's a disgusting part of any recruitment policy, i'd love to see their staff turnover rates. The fact that its unskilled labour only compounds how manipulative this is.

I can't wait for the employment market to tip in favour of the employee once again, it's slowly turning around though.

I can't believe how out of touch from the real world people are on here.

Here's some 'real world' for you.

I have a job. I've never done a days unpaid work in my life, aside from in Year 10 when we were forced to do so by our school.

My mum has a job. She's never had to work for free.

My dad is retired now, but he's never worked for free either.

No one I know has ever had an 'unpaid trial' for anything.

Law firms and accountancy firms pay their interns.

Any other reputable company also pays their interns.

This 'unpaid trial' is illegal. Your ramblings about the Tories are wide of the mark here, since despite being in power for 4 years, unpaid trials of this nature are still illegal. If 'they' wanted them to be legal, they're had ample time to make it so.

Quick Reply