The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2120
hey guys...

I wanna do medicine
I got BBCC for AS in bio,ict,chem and phys, just started A2

Now i'm applying for pharmacy because I didn't get the predictions and don't have enough experience.

IKNOW pharmacy is completely different and a course on its own and shouldnt be a 2nd choice to medicine, but I actually really like chemistry and the idea of how medicines work. I also think that when I finish the pharmacy course, and I apply for medicine, I will have so much more knowledge, because I would be a pharmacist and a doctor! And since i will enter uni when I'm 19, I would be a licensed pharmacist at 24 and a doctor at 29 and by the time I'm 31 i would've finished everything. Assuming I live to 60, I'd have 29 years of happiness ahead of me :smile:

I could also apply for pharmacy in case my results don't come out as AAA or above, and i have a well respected interesting career to fall back on. I truly wouldn't mind being a pharmacist but i would love to be a doctor but if i had to spend my life being a pharmacist i would be happy. I'm just saying if there is a chance to be a doctor i'm taking it, if not whatever i'm content.

HOWEVER

I wanted to come on here and ask you guys first bc clearly i dont know what I'm getting myself into having no experience of university. If you could go back in time, what would you do? What do you advise me to do? Should I take a gap year? Should I do pharmacy? What should I do? What's the best, least risky way to go? THanks guys
Original post by Rhink
hey guys...

I wanna do medicine

Now i'm applying for pharmacy because I didn't get the predictions and don't have enough experience.

IKNOW pharmacy is completely different and a course on its own and shouldnt be a 2nd choice to medicine, but I actually really like chemistry and the idea of how medicines work. I also think that when I finish the pharmacy course, and I apply for medicine, I will have so much more knowledge, because I would be a pharmacist and a doctor! And since i will enter uni when I'm 19, I would be a licensed pharmacist at 24 and a doctor at 29 and by the time I'm 31 i would've finished everything. Assuming I live to 60, I'd have 29 years of happiness ahead of me :smile:

I could also apply for pharmacy in case my results don't come out as AAA or above, and i have a well respected interesting career to fall back on. I truly wouldn't mind being a pharmacist but i would love to be a doctor but if i had to spend my life being a pharmacist i would be happy. I'm just saying if there is a chance to be a doctor i'm taking it, if not whatever i'm content.

HOWEVER

I wanted to come on here and ask you guys first bc clearly i dont know what I'm getting myself into having no experience of university. If you could go back in time, what would you do? What do you advise me to do? Should I take a gap year? Should I do pharmacy? What should I do? What's the best, least risky way to go? THanks guys

If I could turn back time, I probably would've taken a gap year and resat A2 maths - I was 3 UMS off A*AA. Depends how you think you'll do in your A2s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People who have applied within successive years, wear your personal statement similar? There are only so many ways you can reinvent yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhink
hey guys...

I wanna do medicine

HOWEVER

There is no certainty that GEM will still be around in a couple of years. In retrospect, I would have resat A2s. GEM is far more competitive as well - less places, higher entrance exam scores etc.
Reply 2124
What would be the minimum VR score for Warwick? I'm worried because I messed mine up
Original post by kj0511
What would be the minimum VR score for Warwick? I'm worried because I messed mine up

I think they looked for "above average" last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I unfortunately have a low UKCAT score for GEM but I do have a 1st class Chemistry (MChem) degree.. are there any options for me to get into GEM this year? 5 year courses aren't an option for me financially, and I really don't want to wait another year before applying!
Original post by rachel2601
Hi guys, I unfortunately have a low UKCAT score for GEM but I do have a 1st class Chemistry (MChem) degree.. are there any options for me to get into GEM this year? 5 year courses aren't an option for me financially, and I really don't want to wait another year before applying!

Birmingham don't use UKCAT or any other admissions test so you could apply to there as you have already completed your degree. If you haven't done GAMSAT then unfortunately there aren't many options if you have a low UKCAT. Barts select for interview by scoring you on 50:50 UKCAT to academics, so if your academics are amazing, and your UKCAT isn't ridiculously low maybe you could apply there?
Original post by Jodieee2994
Birmingham don't use UKCAT or any other admissions test so you could apply to there as you have already completed your degree. If you haven't done GAMSAT then unfortunately there aren't many options if you have a low UKCAT. Barts select for interview by scoring you on 50:50 UKCAT to academics, so if your academics are amazing, and your UKCAT isn't ridiculously low maybe you could apply there?

I didn't think a chemistry degree allowed me to apply for Birmingham? I should have just sat the GAMSAT really, I just thought I would have too much on! It's not terrible no so I could always give Barts a go. I suppose it's worth just applying even if it just gives me some experience for next year!
Original post by kj0511

Did someone say above 570 last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2130
so I did my UKCAT today and got 727 (VR670 really let me down as its usually my highest) and I'm worried that this just won't be enough. I read that warwick tend to accept 3000 and above for grads with just a degree and I'm only on 2910. will this be enough for southampton? I'm thinking of applying half gem and had 5 year. Im so confused and don't know what to do!!
Original post by III-AMIR-III
Sat my UKCAT today got a lot lower than I expected. 707.5
610 VR
790 QR
710AR
720 DA
I managed to get a 1st in Biomedical Science, was wondering if I have a chance of getting an interview from Barts or Warwick?

I'd imagine you'd get an interview at Barts, not sure about Warwick as it depends what the VR average this year is and how the overall scores compare to previous years.
(edited 8 years ago)
:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kj0511
so I did my UKCAT today and got 727 (VR670 really let me down as its usually my highest) and I'm worried that this just won't be enough. I read that warwick tend to accept 3000 and above for grads with just a degree and I'm only on 2910. will this be enough for southampton? I'm thinking of applying half gem and had 5 year. Im so confused and don't know what to do!!

Warwick actually said on their website that for a grad with only a degree, a score of 3000 or above would very likely see them get an interview. I'm sure from this you can see that that doesn't necessarily mean that a score of lower won't get you an interview.

I'm applying to and I only got 2950 (737.5), but based on the people who applied last year I think we're both in with a shot :-)
Original post by rachel2601
I didn't think a chemistry degree allowed me to apply for Birmingham? I should have just sat the GAMSAT really, I just thought I would have too much on! It's not terrible no so I could always give Barts a go. I suppose it's worth just applying even if it just gives me some experience for next year!

I would definitely give Birmingham a call or send them an email to double check. If I were you, I'd apply, even just for the experience :-)
Original post by kj0511

I would definitely apply with that, I can't see that your VR will be below average which Warwick state as their cut off, and your score is above 2 out of 3 cut offs from the past 3 years (2,800 for 2015 entry; 2,940 for 2014 entry and 2,810 for 2013). My VR is 680 and I'm applying.
Sat my UKCAT today and disappointed. Got 685 average (760,700,590,690, band 1). I am right in thinking this is too low to risk putting it above a GAMSAT uni (I scored a respectable 71 on GAMSAT)?

Originally wanted to put Oxford, Liverpool, Nottingham, Warwick but thinking of swapping Warwick for Swansea, don't particularly like Swansea but also don't want to waste a choice, any thoughts?
Original post by neuronerd
Sat my UKCAT today and disappointed. Got 685 average (760,700,590,690, band 1). I am right in thinking this is too low to risk putting it above a GAMSAT uni (I scored a respectable 71 on GAMSAT)?

Originally wanted to put Oxford, Liverpool, Nottingham, Warwick but thinking of swapping Warwick for Swansea, don't particularly like Swansea but also don't want to waste a choice, any thoughts?

Do you have any postgrad? as Warwick accepted lower UKCATs with postgrad,
Original post by neuronerd

That GAMSAT score is amazing, well done! Your UKCAT isn't bad, you could get into Warwick with that, but you'll probably have a better chance with GAMSAT uni's. If you don't like the sound of Swansea, St. George's is also an option
Original post by Zd12345
Hey, just thought i'd let anyone with weaker UKCAT scores know that I got only 607.5 last year but got offers from Keele and UEA (Norwich) as they take a much more rounded look at your whole application. Good luck!

That's so reassuring, thanks! I assume they were 5 year courses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending