The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhink
hey guys...

I wanna do medicine
I got BBCC for AS in bio,ict,chem and phys, just started A2

Now i'm applying for pharmacy because I didn't get the predictions and don't have enough experience.

IKNOW pharmacy is completely different and a course on its own and shouldnt be a 2nd choice to medicine, but I actually really like chemistry and the idea of how medicines work. I also think that when I finish the pharmacy course, and I apply for medicine, I will have so much more knowledge, because I would be a pharmacist and a doctor! And since i will enter uni when I'm 19, I would be a licensed pharmacist at 24 and a doctor at 29 and by the time I'm 31 i would've finished everything. Assuming I live to 60, I'd have 29 years of happiness ahead of me

I could also apply for pharmacy in case my results don't come out as AAA or above, and i have a well respected interesting career to fall back on. I truly wouldn't mind being a pharmacist but i would love to be a doctor but if i had to spend my life being a pharmacist i would be happy. I'm just saying if there is a chance to be a doctor i'm taking it, if not whatever i'm content.

HOWEVER

I wanted to come on here and ask you guys first bc clearly i dont know what I'm getting myself into having no experience of university. If you could go back in time, what would you do? What do you advise me to do? Should I take a gap year? Should I do pharmacy? What should I do? What's the best, least risky way to go? THanks guys

Hey! If you can bring those grades up to AAA but still get rejected then I suggest take a gap year because that's what my friend did. She got rejected by 4 medical schools then she took a gap a year and reapplied then she got into University of Sheffield with unconditional offer. She achieved 640-650 in UKCAT. I can't remember exactly what she got haha. GEM is much more competitive you would need probably around 720-750 in UKCAT to secure an interview :/
Reply 201
Original post by coldhell
Hey! If you can bring those grades up to AAA but still get rejected then I suggest take a gap year because that's what my friend did. She got rejected by 4 medical schools then she took a gap a year and reapplied then she got into University of Sheffield with unconditional offer. She achieved 640-650 in UKCAT. I can't remember exactly what she got haha. GEM is much more competitive you would need probably around 720-750 in UKCAT to secure an interview :/

okay yeah, gap year it is ... thanks so much :biggrin:
Original post by Rhink
okay yeah, gap year it is ... thanks so much :biggrin:

I would advise you to also choose the universities very carefully. She didn't pick uni of Sheffield at first, she actually chose KCL but with her UKCAT score she got rejected.
Reply 203
I would advise you to also choose the universities very carefully. She didn't pick uni of Sheffield at first, she actually chose KCL but with her UKCAT score she got rejected.

i will! Im also retaking some modules... do you think that will affect me?
Reply 204
Hey! I have only just seen this, but I feel so relieved that I'm not the only one! Yes, I do agree with you and I keep thinking about that as well: should you apply after you graduate or before? And haha I really agree with you about lack of commitment, I really don't want to come across like this as well. I love nursing and I do have a lot of respect for nurses and I love the fact that you're with the patients all the time, so you can build rapport with them etc. but at the same time it's not as scientific compared to medicine, if you know what I mean? Obviously, nurses need to have quite a bit of scientific knowledge, otherwise many lives will be put at risk.

I am not really sure yet, tbh. It depends on my UKCAT score and I'm so nervous about this as well and I'm thinking of giving GAMSAT a go...so I better get revising... How about you? Which unis? Please update me on this :biggrin:

Hi coldhell,
I feel the same - I love nursing and I have learned so much during this degree. But it also started off this little spark inside of me, this need to have enough knowledge to be able to actually diagnose and treat diseases. This is why I now have to give medicine a go. I accept the fact that I probably won't get in as it so competitive but I feel as though I won't rest until I give it a try. So, I was originally going to sit both UKCAT and GAMSAT and apply to St. Georges, Warwick, Newcastle and Barts and the London. However, having had introduction into the final year of nursing I very quickly realised that I won't be able to prepare for both exams properly. Therefore I decided to only sit the UKCAT. I am going to apply to Warwick, Newcastle and Barts and the London.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skido
Hey I m a Biomed first year, and my goal is to apply at the end of second year for 2017 entry. :biggrin:. But i wanted to ask something, I am an EU student, and I know that many unis ask for A levels too, and I am not sure if my ones are equivalent, because I took a foundation year before I entered my course. So my question is does a Science foundation year count at all during the application process? or you defo need to have A leves or equivelents? Also does anyone know if taking a first aid 3 day course(which looks quite expensive) would be useful for the work experience part of the application? thank you.

Hi

I'm a biomed grad applying for 2016 entry and I also have a foundation year instead of A-levels. I'm applying to Oxford, Nottingham, Swansea and Liverpool.

My stats:
Gamsat 72
MSc by research (Oxford)
Medical Science 2:1 (Birmingham)
Foundation year 82% (UEA)

Fingers crossed, feel free to message me to see how I get on
Hey!

so im currently in my second year of BSC computing and tbh i hate it so much. Ive always wanted to study medicine but unfortunately nothing worked out for me. ever since high school ive always been put in the coursework classes even though i always showed that i am capable of the higher classes, then 6th form came and i wanted to study chemistry and biology and becuase i always did coursework i wasnt allowed to study bio and chem at AS unless i took the exams for physics,chem and bio which were in 3 MONTHS! so never the less i had to learn all of the material for 3 different sciences within 3 months and i worked my butt off!! without any help aswell, and finally the results came and i got 2 B's in chemistry and biology and a C in physics and was finally allowed to study bio and chem at alevel. i thought GCSE's were hard but nope! alevels were harder becuase i never got the proper teaching and support from the teachers i found it very very difficult at first a always used to get As and Bs but then it go to Es and Ds my chemistry teacher was the worst he always used to pick on me in class and would never help me in my work and there has been instances when he put my mark down on prupose. so results for AS came and i got A* in IT a E in bio and a U in chem so i wasnt allowed to carry on chem. At A2 i honesty worked so hard but again my teacher wasnt very helpful and i always thought they were against me and for results I got a E in bio a C in english and a A in IT. and now im in my second year of computing but my heart is on Medicine i really want to become a doctor but ive honestly lost all hope and the graduate entry into medicine is my only hope but i dont know if lookign at my a levels the universities would ever accpet me?

please help me
thankyou xx
Original post by rimshaashraf
Hey!

so im currently in my second year of BSC computing and tbh i hate it so much. Ive always wanted to study medicine but unfortunately nothing worked out for me. ever since high school ive always been put in the coursework classes even though i always showed that i am capable of the higher classes, then 6th form came and i wanted to study chemistry and biology and becuase i always did coursework i wasnt allowed to study bio and chem at AS unless i took the exams for physics,chem and bio which were in 3 MONTHS! so never the less i had to learn all of the material for 3 different sciences within 3 months and i worked my butt off!! without any help aswell, and finally the results came and i got 2 B's in chemistry and biology and a C in physics and was finally allowed to study bio and chem at alevel. i thought GCSE's were hard but nope! alevels were harder becuase i never got the proper teaching and support from the teachers i found it very very difficult at first a always used to get As and Bs but then it go to Es and Ds my chemistry teacher was the worst he always used to pick on me in class and would never help me in my work and there has been instances when he put my mark down on prupose. so results for AS came and i got A* in IT a E in bio and a U in chem so i wasnt allowed to carry on chem. At A2 i honesty worked so hard but again my teacher wasnt very helpful and i always thought they were against me and for results I got a E in bio a C in english and a A in IT. and now im in my second year of computing but my heart is on Medicine i really want to become a doctor but ive honestly lost all hope and the graduate entry into medicine is my only hope but i dont know if lookign at my a levels the universities would ever accpet me?

please help me
thankyou xx

I think you need to seriously consider if your science is up to scratch. Most people go from A* students to B/C students when moving from A-level to a medicine degree. It is hard.
There are plenty of uni's who don't look at A-levels and only focus on your degree (you really need to come out with a 1st or good 2:1). A good idea might be to try studying for and take a mock GAMSAT exam. It is used for most of the uni's who don't need A-levels and gives you an idea of if you can get your science knowledge up
Original post by neuronerd
I think you need to seriously consider if your science is up to scratch. Most people go from A* students to B/C students when moving from A-level to a medicine degree. It is hard.
There are plenty of uni's who don't look at A-levels and only focus on your degree (you really need to come out with a 1st or good 2:1). A good idea might be to try studying for and take a mock GAMSAT exam. It is used for most of the uni's who don't need A-levels and gives you an idea of if you can get your science knowledge up

You can't equate GCSE/A levels to medical school. Med school is a completely different style of learning, the content isn't hard it's the sheer volume and there are places that just want a 2:1 in any degree!
If it's any comfort I got a C in GCSE chemistry and I got an academic merit (top 10% of a year group) last year in medical school. Just power through the degree and get a good grade!

Where can I take the mock GAMSAT exam. Thanks
Original post by Meir kest
Where can I take the mock GAMSAT exam. Thanks

I have two practice papers I am happy to give you. Spend some time learning the core topics on khan academy then pm me.
A lot of people tell me to do medicine because they think I'm capable of it. I'm currently doing bsc computing and my tutors are suggesting I do a placement in IT but really don't enjoy it. What if I do a placement for computing for a medical company and then manage to get a first in my degree because it's a BSC degree do you think universities will accept me
Original post by rimshaashraf
A lot of people tell me to do medicine because they think I'm capable of it. I'm currently doing bsc computing and my tutors are suggesting I do a placement in IT but really don't enjoy it. What if I do a placement for computing for a medical company and then manage to get a first in my degree because it's a BSC degree do you think universities will accept me

The big warning sign in your post is that 'people tell me to do medicine'. Do you want to do medicine? It is a career path that only the committed should take on (long long hours and stress) but is ultimately very rewarding if medicine is what you really want.

Your degree is fine, some uni's have no subject requirement only that you need a 1st/2:1 (nottingham is possible with a 2:2 but is much harder than with a higher grade). Your best thing to do is get some work experience in hospitals/GPs/etc. Email everyone, pester people and get some days following doctors on the job and see if it is something you want to do. If it is then hit the forums to research and build your extra-curricular activities to create a strong application.
I have a strong foundation in the core subjects, took triple science BTEC and achieved 3 D*s (the highest possible grades) I'm also in the middle of a 3 year bcs in biomed. But I would really like to boost my application for applying to medicine for entry 2017.

I will either do a levels in chemistry and biology, however; if you think that GAMSAT is just as good - maybe I'll give it a try! Also how do I private message you?

Thank Meir.
I have two practice papers I am happy to give you. Spend some time learning the core topics on khan academy then pm me.
Hello everyone again!! is your personal statement still important at this stage? Do they still take that into account? :biggrin:
Hello everyone again!! is your personal statement still important at this stage? Do they still take that into account? :biggrin:

I haven't even started mine. I think I'll start closer to September next year.

Has anyone intending to apply next year told their manager of their ambitions? I'm planning on telling my boss in a few weeks if he doesn't agree to cut my hours but I know he's going to throw a bit of a fit so I'm not sure if it's the wisest decision.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
I haven't even started mine. I think I'll start closer to September next year.

Has anyone intending to apply next year told their manager of their ambitions? I'm planning on telling my boss in a few weeks if he doesn't agree to cut my hours but I know he's going to throw a bit of a fit so I'm not sure if it's the wisest decision.

I say screw your boss, this is your life, you must make your own desision!!!! If he doesn't like it too bad!!!
I say screw your boss, this is your life, you must make your own desision!!!! If he doesn't like it too bad!!!

Yeah I know but I'm worried how he'll react. I've heard him giving really bad and negative references for past employees on the phone.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Yeah I know but I'm worried how he'll react. I've heard him giving really bad and negative references for past employees on the phone.

Don't ever use him as a reference in that case!
Don't ever use him as a reference in that case!

I wouldn't want to but some employers want one from all past and current jobs. My boss has a huge disregard of the law, rules and procedures.

Quick Reply

Latest