The Student Room Group

Good sixth forms in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by F1Fan
What's your opinion of Canons then if you know so much about Harrow?

A family friend went there and their parents said they didn't recommend it because their kid always got into fights and stuff so behaviour is an issue there i think among the lower years. Most of my friends from primary school went there and complained about teachers not teaching properly or that they were struggling, lost contact with them around year 10.

During primary school from year 5 to year 7 we'd go over to canons high school every few weeks to do experiments there, got taught stuff about the water cycle, simple science stuff, teachers seemed very enthusiastic about their work and I understood everything that was taught, although we were very young and we only spoke to around a handful of science teachers, who may have left. I liked the facilities though they were good, labs were nice and there was a nice sports ground area.

i mean schools can boast about the grades their students got but going to a school that's in the top 1% in England for student performance and getting Outstanding ofsted reports, I know the school's ****. I'm sorry but it is. The only good departments are English and MFLs.

I never said I knew a lot about Harrow, you seem pissed which I don't understand. I just know what I've heard/ seen. Loads of gossip goes around our school about other schools and students who used to come to our school and how they're getting on. So it's word of mouth. I'm not an expert i'm just giving my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt.

:smile:
It doesn"5
Original post by icecreamcake
Westminster, City of London School, St Paul's...

Though they aren't sixth form specific places

it doesn't have to be "sixth form specific". I'm currently from your list, going to apply to St Paul's girl's and City Girls. I can't do Westminster because of school on saturdays
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
Ok, I know I've posted a similar post before - but that was a couple of months ago.....
Anyway..... I'm a girl... I live in London and I want to apply to a range of sixth forms for next September. My predicted grades are 8 A*/As and 2 A/Bs and I'm doing add maths as well.
On top of just a few good sixth forms (state or independent), are any particularly renowned for doing well in maths/sciences....
Thanks guys,

St Mark's in Hounslow is in the top 1% in the country for A Level and GCSE grades, got big Science/Maths departments. There's also a consortium with two other local schools so you can do subjects there as well; they're in the top 5% as far as I know.
I've bounced around about 4 different secondary schools for various (good) reasons and St Mark's has great teachers for all subjects, not one of them bad....

Well, there's a few, in Science there's one in Chemistry but that's just because she doesn't like me as a person, everyone else says she's a great teacher :P .
Other than that, the rest of the bad teachers aren't bad really, they're just annoying tbh but they're good teachers.
Original post by z33

i mean schools can boast about the grades their students got but going to a school that's in the top 1% in England for student performance and getting Outstanding ofsted reports, I know the school's ****. I'm sorry but it is. The only good departments are English and MFLs.

I never said I knew a lot about Harrow, you seem pissed which I don't understand. I just know what I've heard/ seen. Loads of gossip goes around our school about other schools and students who used to come to our school and how they're getting on. So it's word of mouth. I'm not an expert i'm just giving my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt.

:smile:

That's true, I've been in my fair share of state and private sector schools, and the state schools are actually far better behaved and more mature.
Students who went to state schools actually make up a higher proportion of those getting first class honours at high-achieving universities and are more likely to succeed at university than private schools do.

Probably because they all had tutors. I never had one and did better than half my year who had at least 4 tutors each :P
Harris Westminster Sixth form :wink:
There are entrance exams and an interview for admissions.
Original post by WannabeDoctor98
Depends what part of London, I go to a grammar school in Kent and we have quite a few that get the train to school from London

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also go to a grammar school in kent. Which one do you go to??
Reply 46
Original post by DMcGovern
That's true, I've been in my fair share of state and private sector schools, and the state schools are actually far better behaved and more mature.
Students who went to state schools actually make up a higher proportion of those getting first class honours at high-achieving universities and are more likely to succeed at university than private schools do.

Probably because they all had tutors. I never had one and did better than half my year who had at least 4 tutors each :P

Same, I know someone (friend of a friend) whose parents spent WAY TOOOO much on their education. They're not even rich, I mean they're well off but still working class. He went to a private primary school, then went to John Lyon and came out with GCSE's lower than mine - which aren't special (2 A* 3 A 3 B 3 C), yet they still allowed him to carry on at John Lyon for 6th form, he failed i think he got DEUU or something, btw they also paid for tuition for ALL his subjects, idk what he did tbh but i know it was maths/ science subjects. Now, he's resitting at Watford Grammar or something I think

And is still getting extra good tuition.

I just don't get it...
I
Original post by liquidconfidence

is it private or state?
Original post by z33
Same, I know someone (friend of a friend) whose parents spent WAY TOOOO much on their education. They're not even rich, I mean they're well off but still working class. He went to a private primary school, then went to John Lyon and came out with GCSE's lower than mine - which aren't special (2 A* 3 A 3 B 3 C), yet they still allowed him to carry on at John Lyon for 6th form, he failed i think he got DEUU or something, btw they also paid for tuition for ALL his subjects, idk what he did tbh but i know it was maths/ science subjects. Now, he's resitting at Watford Grammar or something I think

And is still getting extra good tuition.

I just don't get it...

I know right? My father spent all of his time at (not great) state schools. He didn't do brilliantly but his mother sat and helped him get through it. Meanwhile the favourite daughter was sent off to a private school, she did sod all and failed most of her GCSEs, the only reason she got into a really good sixth form at the time was because when my father was teaching there on his last year he mentioned that she was applying to sixth form to the headteacher, who interpreted it as a favour :s-smilie: Even then, she ended up with 1 A Level E grade.
Somehow she's a social worker now, god help any kid lumbered with her :s-smilie:
Reply 49
Original post by DMcGovern
I know right? My father spent all of his time at (not great) state schools. He didn't do brilliantly but his mother sat and helped him get through it. Meanwhile the favourite daughter was sent off to a private school, she did sod all and failed most of her GCSEs, the only reason she got into a really good sixth form at the time was because when my father was teaching there on his last year he mentioned that she was applying to sixth form to the headteacher, who interpreted it as a favour :s-smilie: Even then, she ended up with 1 A Level E grade.
Somehow she's a social worker now, god help any kid lumbered with her :s-smilie:

wow man... I don't understand how people can do that bad with all that's being done for them. I mean, you're getting a privilege many people would give an arm and a leg to get, and you're totally wasting it. Tbh idk how they look into their parents' eyes after that. I would be hiding in shame. And i dont know how parents are still willing to put that much effort into something that they won't get anything out of. You don't need a sankey diagram to know that is 100% inefficient. I would've stopped at the GCSEs, you can clearly see they just don't care and you can't force someone to care and work.

but it shows that even when worst comes to worst, there's always a way into mainstream careers that are reputable and respectable, sucks for students that work their asses off and get As and A*s to get there, only to be faced by a straight U student who got there the easy way :dry:
Original post by z33
wow man... I don't understand how people can do that bad with all that's being done for them. I mean, you're getting a privilege many people would give an arm and a leg to get, and you're totally wasting it. Tbh idk how they look into their parents' eyes after that. I would be hiding in shame. And i dont know how parents are still willing to put that much effort into something that they won't get anything out of. You don't need a sankey diagram to know that is 100% inefficient. I would've stopped at the GCSEs, you can clearly see they just don't care and you can't force someone to care and work.

but it shows that even when worst comes to worst, there's always a way into mainstream careers that are reputable and respectable, sucks for students that work their asses off and get As and A*s to get there, only to be faced by a straight U student who got there the easy way :dry:

+1 this
Original post by ivy.98
Mill Hill School, private

Mill hill county gets better results

I really liked the look of Harris Westminster but I can't do school on Saturday... :frown: Otherwise I totally would apply!
Imo, go to any school you want. I go to a crap school in West London and I managed AAAB at AS while a few of my classmates went to grammar schools in slough and a few went to st doms and got B's

One girl got 10 A*'s and 1 A at GCSE, went to st Doms, got AABB.
I got 1 A* 8A's 1B and got AAAB in Maths, Fmaths, Physics and Eco.

Proof it doesn't matter where you go. The ****ter it is, the more independent you'll have to be thus the more ready you are for uni!
Go to one where your mates are going or is closest to you. Commuting is long too

PS: I go to Harlington School in West London
No it isn't... Where's that figure from.....?
Top 2 state schools are QE boys and Pate's Grammar... and top non selective schools are Yavneh and Hasmonean

It's the 2nd best sixth form college in the country
Original post by Zakmoh15
It's the 2nd best sixth form college in the country

I know - already been told...
just not eveything was made clear...
I really liked the look of Harris Westminster but I can't do school on Saturday... :frown: Otherwise I totally would apply!

Aw, that's a shame, if it helps school on Saturday is actually half day, we finish at 1:30pm.
Aw, that's a shame, if it helps school on Saturday is actually half day, we finish at 1:30pm.

I'm Jewish so I can't do Saturday at all. Otherwise I'd also have applied to Westminster. I was really annoyed!
Reply 58
City and Islington, LASWAP, Woodhouse. Monoux if you're trying be social
Original post by glo420
City and Islington, LASWAP, Woodhouse. Monoux if you're trying be social

I don't know, but doesn't LASWAP have really bad "reviews"?

Quick Reply

Latest