The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maberg
Where did you get the stats? What I have read in 2014 or 2013 about 1000-1200 applied. Are the 2015 stats available somewhere? I think I couldn't find it weeks ago.

I think your figures are closer to the real amount. No way is it roughly 52 applicants per place aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
about 4500 people applied for EM last year and they only had 86 places so although your a-levels are amazing, your gcses may be on the slightly lower end and you could perhaps consider cambridge?

More like 1200 for 86 places. Still high but nowhere near 4500.
Wow that's high I'm personally going to apply for computer science that's about ten people per place (there are only about 28 places )
Stayed in St Catz on the Thursday and Friday night around the open day it had a really nice atmosphere and though I didn't like the architecture or my room it was really got due to the huge windows facing the sun I had a lovely time as the undergraduates were really nice and helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teachers keep discouraging me to apply to oxford this year. Do you think I should still apply for other universities this year but not for oxford but if I get really top grades, should I apply to Oxford for 2017?
Original post by tilly5798
My teachers keep discouraging me to apply to oxford this year. Do you think I should still apply for other universities this year but not for oxford but if I get really top grades, should I apply to Oxford for 2017?

Why are they discouraging you? I thought the job of education professionals was to encourage students to aim high?

If you want to go to Oxford bad enough that you are willing to reject offers and apply for the following year, I don't see why you shouldn't just take a punt and apply this year and see how the dice fall. Worse case scenario, it's a no this year, and you can just reapply next year anyway.

Honestly, I can't see you having anything to lose if you're back-up plan is to reject anything but Oxford. In fact, I can't see you have anything to lose either way, because you will likely still get offers from other top universities and that ought to help you make up your mind.

Personally, I'd disregard your teacher in this instance and apply to Oxford anyway.
Original post by lucyx
That would be super helpful! Thanks :biggrin:
Which college?

I'm going to be going to Worcester College. If you were wondering why I chose it then I'd say it is a stunning college and I just adored the environment there!

Original post by Marina Stomeo
Please do it! It would be extra-super-mega helpful :biggrin:

The videos probably won't be up until I actually start at Oxford, if you want to PM me then feel free (I might be a little slow replying, I'm trying to get all my things sorted for uni)!

Original post by MouseyBrown
I'm going for history and politics, so would be interested to hear anything about your interview, and any HAT tips if possible. Just finishing my PS so I'm ready to start freaking out about everything else now!

I've just checked and the HAT is on the 4th of November, so I'll try and get up a video on how I approached it about a month before. I don't want to post videos until I'm actually there - weird I know, I just would prefer to be able to talk about my experience being an "official fresher"- so it will probably be up around the 6th of October. Feel free to PM me any questions you have before then (although I'm no expert and I'm still slightly bemused as to how I even got in)

Sorry for any grammar/spelling errors, I had to write this in a real rush!!!!!
Applying to St Anne's 😁✌🏼️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by n.safar4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good choice!
Applying to Oxford for PGCE, does this count?
Original post by Plagioclase
Good choice!

Are you in St Anne's already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you in St Anne's already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well not yet, but in a couple of weeks!

Computer Science - you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chicken15642
I'm going to be going to Worcester College. If you were wondering why I chose it then I'd say it is a stunning college and I just adored the environment there!

The videos probably won't be up until I actually start at Oxford, if you want to PM me then feel free (I might be a little slow replying, I'm trying to get all my things sorted for uni)!

I've just checked and the HAT is on the 4th of November, so I'll try and get up a video on how I approached it about a month before. I don't want to post videos until I'm actually there - weird I know, I just would prefer to be able to talk about my experience being an "official fresher"- so it will probably be up around the 6th of October. Feel free to PM me any questions you have before then (although I'm no expert and I'm still slightly bemused as to how I even got in)

Sorry for any grammar/spelling errors, I had to write this in a real rush!!!!!

I will apply in 2016, there's plenty of time for me, don't worry :cool:
AS-LEVEL:-
MATHS - A
FURTHER MATHS - A
CHEMISTRY -A
PHYSICS - A

PREDICTED A2:-
MATHS - A*
FURTHER MATHS - A*
CHEMISTRY -A*
PHYSICS - A*
GCSE: 4A*, 3A, 1B, 1C, 1D
I am looking to apply for maths at Oxford. What chance do I have of getting an interview?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by politicalmind
are most of you private school too?

Public school, Classical Lyceum in Italy (Greek, Latin, History, Philosophy are the main subject, but I do also Science, Maths, Physics and others as well)

(I'm an intruder since I'll apply in 2016, hope it doesn't bother anyone :tongue::wink::biggrin:)
Original post by OxSarah
Medicine :h: And you?
PS: I've just found out that you are italian as me :daydreaming:

Sorry if this is too personal: What grades do you have and which school do you attend? I'd like to study Medicine, but my grades aren't exceptional (8,6/10 in my third year mainly because of mood problems and difficulty to focus), but I have just started my 4th year of Classical Lyceum and hopefully they will get better.
Did you do any extracurricular like volunteering?

P.s. All Italians unite! :grouphugs:
Hello!

GCSE grades: 9A*1A
A-Levels: Further Maths, Maths (A2 - A*), Physics (AS - a), Chemistry (AS - a)
Course: Mathematics
College: Exeter

Any Oxford Mathematics students at Exeter here? And any other applying for Maths? :biggrin:
Hi. Just wondering if I should put my module grades on UCAS, applying to Oxford, Imperial Warwick, Bristol and Bath. I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Every exam was an A grade except one B in one chemistry exam. I am applying for Mathematics.

Latest

Trending

Trending