The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Yeah, I don't like Missy much either and nor do I like that we've been robbed of her regeneration.

omg yeah we never saw john simms regenerate into her :shock:
Original post by Lwin
I don't really have a problem with the Master regenerating as a woman. It's just an annoying, Mary Poppins on crack look-a-like is a little insulting to the character who's meant to be a Time Lord. I mean they had her actually float down to earth holding up an umbrella in Dark Waters! But I think Moffat has a real problem writing believable female characters. I haven't enjoyed any of the women characters at all since the beginning of the 11th.

Writing about a woman is always hard in this pc world, if he made a woman timid he would be accused ot being sexist, if he wrote one strong he would be accused of only being able to write women one way.
Original post by drbluebox
Writing about a woman is always hard in this pc world, if he made a woman timid he would be accused ot being sexist, if he wrote one strong he would be accused of only being able to write women one way.

Bring back Donna or the doctors daughter I say.
Reply 4643
Original post by drbluebox
Writing about a woman is always hard in this pc world, if he made a woman timid he would be accused of being sexist, if he wrote one strong he would be accused of only being able to write women one way.

The trick is to make them actually feel like regular, complex, human individuals instead of just a single character trait like "timid" or "strong". People feel and act differently in different contexts and Moffat gets that with his male characters and writes it in, but he's really got to up his game for the ladies.
When he wrote River Song in "Silence in the Library", she was strong, happy and regretful, nostalgic, she was a well rounded character. When she came back to the show she was essentially a nympho obsessed with the Doctor and comebacks.
Original post by Rakas21
Bring back Donna or the doctors daughter I say.

Moffat would only ruin them.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Moffat would only ruin them.

I think he wrote the daughter episode.
I wonder how much nostalgia Moffat will try to shoehorn into the rest of the series without any real point to them being there (Judoon, Ood, etc.).
Original post by Kool_Panda
I wonder how much nostalgia Moffat will try to shoehorn into the rest of the series without any real point to them being there (Judoon, Ood, etc.).

I like it. Less earth, more sci-fi.
Original post by Lwin
The trick is to make them actually feel like regular, complex, human individuals instead of just a single character trait like "timid" or "strong". People feel and act differently in different contexts and Moffat gets that with his male characters and writes it in, but he's really got to up his game for the ladies.
When he wrote River Song in "Silence in the Library", she was strong, happy and regretful, nostalgic, she was a well rounded character. When she came back to the show she was essentially a nympho obsessed with the Doctor and comebacks.

I don't think its a female thing. It's a he has to be clever with people's relationship's to the Dr thing, and this ****s up the female characters.

I do find it ****ing annoying how Clara has to be "strong" and edgy to appease the feminists when it just turns her into a **** character imo.
Original post by Rakas21
I like it. Less earth, more sci-fi.

Same, opens up the universe subtly.
I think they missed a huge opportunity with this storyline to do a Shakespearian tragic arc. Instead, Moffat flirts with the idea but mashes it up with pointless **** and it loses any power whatsoever.
Original post by banterboy
I think they missed a huge opportunity with this storyline to do a Shakespearian tragic arc. Instead, Moffat flirts with the idea but mashes it up with pointless **** and it loses any power whatsoever.

What do you mean?
Screwdriver to sunglasses? No :indiff:
Bit of a poor second part. It's only real use was to give us background to them and save Davros so he can be a future villain still.
I actually really liked that episode :biggrin:
it was darker than usual with the whole dalek sewer/graveyard thing and when clara was in the dalek it reminded me of at the end of the asylum of the daleks with oswald.
it was a pleasant change away from those goofy episodes like the bells of saint john although i agree with blackrose about he sunglasses, bring back the screwdriver! :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
I hate the sunglasses as an alternative to the screwdriver! I also had issue with missy always correcting people or daleks when they refer to her as a time lord - your a time lord just accept that instead of saying time lady which just sounds odd and annoying. I liked the idea of Clara being in the dalek again very reminiscent of when we first met Clara, but my main problem with this was she did nothing useful. All she did was cry essentially this episode, and also do the writers really expect us to believe that the doctor was the one to give davros the idea for the daleks! I mean what if the doctor had left davros to die or better still pushed him into the hands wouldn't that have saved his friend too? Overall I didn't really like this episode in comparison to the premiere which was a decent episode...
loved it. Capaldi & Gomez were both fantastic.

I loved the bit where he magically had a cup of tea as well, most British thing ever haha.
Need to ask, since daleks are all about dalek supremacy and the covet purity over all else, now being half timelord, won't they all go on a mass genocide of themselves?

Also, not a big fan of the sunglasses...
Original post by Scienceisgood
Need to ask, since daleks are all about dalek supremacy and the covet purity over all else, now being half timelord, won't they all go on a mass genocide of themselves?

Also, not a big fan of the sunglasses...

quick question but the daleks can fly right? Why didn't they just fly away when the sewer daleks where attacking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending