The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Some questions from a Welsh-born living in England

As the title says, was born in Llandudno many years ago but had my family move to England when I was young. Can kind of recall my accent, but little of the Welsh outside of Dydw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg. But the whole time here I've missed my lovely homeland, and want to return to Wales by using Bangor Uni!

I do have some questions though, as my English school knows pitifully little of Welsh universities! (experts when it came to getting one dude a place at a Japanese uni though, but I digress)

1. The Welsh degrees - is it truly possible to start from scratch? I know there are 3-year and 4-year courses, but do I have to do the four-year one if I don't know anything anymore?

2. With that said, would I be considered a first-language Welsh speaker or a second-language one? I was fluent in Welsh when I left, lost it to English so far though.

3. How employable would I be with a degree in Welsh? Specifically I'm looking at Welsh with History, or something of the type. Would I be able to go onto MA/PhD in History with it?

4. Is Bangor a good and nice uni? Is there a particular social life there?

5. Since I live in England and have a girlfriend here, does anyone know if there is any way to get cheaper fares back and forth? Checked a price for a return ticket - £180! :O

6. Would I be any less likely to get in because I live in England?

Thanks for all the help, really would love to come here!
Reply 1
Can only really answer 4 and 6.

4. Bangor's pretty decent, yeah. Something like 50% of the population are students, there are alot of societies and socials if you want to get involved. Nightlife is decent, but nothing like most other cities, there are just a couple of clubs and they are pretty mediocre IMO.

6. Definitely not, I'm pretty sure the majority of students here are actually from England anyway
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by SkyRees
As the title says, was born in Llandudno many years ago but had my family move to England when I was young. Can kind of recall my accent, but little of the Welsh outside of Dydw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg. But the whole time here I've missed my lovely homeland, and want to return to Wales by using Bangor Uni!

I do have some questions though, as my English school knows pitifully little of Welsh universities! (experts when it came to getting one dude a place at a Japanese uni though, but I digress)

1. The Welsh degrees - is it truly possible to start from scratch? I know there are 3-year and 4-year courses, but do I have to do the four-year one if I don't know anything anymore?

2. With that said, would I be considered a first-language Welsh speaker or a second-language one? I was fluent in Welsh when I left, lost it to English so far though.

3. How employable would I be with a degree in Welsh? Specifically I'm looking at Welsh with History, or something of the type. Would I be able to go onto MA/PhD in History with it?

4. Is Bangor a good and nice uni? Is there a particular social life there?

5. Since I live in England and have a girlfriend here, does anyone know if there is any way to get cheaper fares back and forth? Checked a price for a return ticket - £180! :O

6. Would I be any less likely to get in because I live in England?

Thanks for all the help, really would love to come here!

Good Afternoon,

In order to establish which course would be best suited for you we would advice you to contact the department itself and you can find all details in the link below:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ysgolygymraeg/manylion_cyswllt.php.en

To answer some of your other questions you can certainly study a joint honors in Welsh and History which would be a 3 year degree. There is information on Employability on the course information pages on our website and you can also continue into postgraduate studies within the school of History here at Bangor.

Social life here at Bangor is great, there is plenty to do and we have over 150 clubs and societies to choose from which are all free to join. If you would like to know a bit more about the social life please follow the link below:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/students_union.php.en

With regards to cheaper fares, many students invest in rail cards which are around 25 pounds for the year, you will save a lot of money on your tickets.

And last but not least, no you would not be any less likely to get in because you live in England, we have students from all over the country and the world studying here at Bangor.

Hope this has helped, and please, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Many Thanks

Sera and Ffion (Bangor Official Reps)
Original post by Bangor Uni
Good Afternoon,

In order to establish which course would be best suited for you we would advice you to contact the department itself and you can find all details in the link below:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ysgolygymraeg/manylion_cyswllt.php.en

To answer some of your other questions you can certainly study a joint honors in Welsh and History which would be a 3 year degree. There is information on Employability on the course information pages on our website and you can also continue into postgraduate studies within the school of History here at Bangor.

Social life here at Bangor is great, there is plenty to do and we have over 150 clubs and societies to choose from which are all free to join. If you would like to know a bit more about the social life please follow the link below:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentlife/students_union.php.en

With regards to cheaper fares, many students invest in rail cards which are around 25 pounds for the year, you will save a lot of money on your tickets.

And last but not least, no you would not be any less likely to get in because you live in England, we have students from all over the country and the world studying here at Bangor.

Hope this has helped, and please, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Many Thanks

Sera and Ffion (Bangor Official Reps)

Thank you for such an in-depth reply, it is very helpful. I only have a couple more questions if it doesn't bother you!

Firstly, if I took the three-year Welsh and History degree, would I be expected to be fluent in Welsh, or is that what the four-year course is for?

And secondly with regards to postgraduate study, would I be any worse off than someone who studied only History for three years?

Once again thank you for all the help! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SkyRees
Thank you for such an in-depth reply, it is very helpful. I only have a couple more questions if it doesn't bother you!

Firstly, if I took the three-year Welsh and History degree, would I be expected to be fluent in Welsh, or is that what the four-year course is for?

And secondly with regards to postgraduate study, would I be any worse off than someone who studied only History for three years?

Once again thank you for all the help! :biggrin:

Good Morning,

No problem at all :smile:

Your best option is to contact the school of Welsh with regards to your first question and they will be able to give you the correct answer:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ysgolygymrae...cyswllt.php.en

and no you wouldn't be any worse off than someone who studied only History :smile:

All the best,

Sera (Bangor Official Rep)
QUOTE=Bangor Uni;59537115]Good Morning,

No problem at all :smile:

Your best option is to contact the school of Welsh with regards to your first question and they will be able to give you the correct answer:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ysgolygymrae...cyswllt.php.en

and no you wouldn't be any worse off than someone who studied only History :smile:

All the best,

Sera (Bangor Official Rep)

Good afternoon, thank you, I will do :smile:
Really I hope I get in, it'll be so great to go back home for study :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest