Biology or biochemistry? Watch

jerseyalevel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,

With the deadline for UCAS applications looming , I'm well into my personal statement, but I can't seem to choose between biology or biochemistry!

I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths for A2. I love organic chemistry and the sort of biological molecule side of things. I'm also really keen on marine biology too...

Any suggestions?

Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jerseyalevel)
Hey guys,

With the deadline for UCAS applications looming , I'm well into my personal statement, but I can't seem to choose between biology or biochemistry!

I'm doing biology, chemistry and maths for A2. I love organic chemistry and the sort of biological molecule side of things. I'm also really keen on marine biology too...

Any suggestions?

Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have a few interests within biology, then I'd advise doing a Biology degree rather than a Biochemistry one. I was stuck between Biology and Zoology and ended up going with the former as it allows you to explore different areas, or focus on a certain area and touch upon other areas. I've ended up picking a lot of zoology modules, but then I've also been able to branch away from that if I want. A lot of universities that offer both would allow you to switch after the first year anyway, so if you decided to go with Biology but ended up picking mostly Biochem modules, you could probably swap

Posted from TSR Mobile
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some good advice above. Bear in mind that biochem degrees can include up to 50% pure chem in the first and second years and even the third year so make sure you're very clear on what the different course structures are before choosing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.91%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed