The Student Room Group

What degree is needed in French for doing a French course?

Hi!
I am thinking of applying to Modern Languages at university, but I did not really understand from the site of the university what degree I need for each language. I am thinking of studying French, German and Spanish or French and German, but on the official website it only gave me some information about the level of English. I do not have any knowledge in German or Spanish, but I do have a B1 diploma in the DELF examination ( for French). I intend to sit through the B2 examintion this autumn. Does anyone know if a C1 might be needed? As far as I know, this is requested of students who want to study in France and I am thinking of applying for a university in Scotland.

Best regards!
Reply 1
Original post by Diana Jalea
Hi!
I am thinking of applying to Modern Languages at university, but I did not really understand from the site of the university what degree I need for each language. I am thinking of studying French, German and Spanish or French and German, but on the official website it only gave me some information about the level of English. I do not have any knowledge in German or Spanish, but I do have a B1 diploma in the DELF examination ( for French). I intend to sit through the B2 examintion this autumn. Does anyone know if a C1 might be needed? As far as I know, this is requested of students who want to study in France and I am thinking of applying for a university in Scotland.

Best regards!
It depends ong the course - some languages are taught ab initio - that is, previous study of the language in question is not required. So, as you have not studied German or Spanish, you would have to apply for courses offering it ab initio. As for the level of qualification in French, you would need to ask the universities themselves what they would expect. I suggest you email the admissions departments with details of the system in your country and the qualifications you have/expect to achieve, and ask them for advice
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
It depends ong the course - some languages are taught ab initio - that is, previous study of the language in question is not required. So, as you have not studied German or Spanish, you would have to apply for courses offering it ab initio. As for the level of qualification in French, you would need to ask the universities themselves what they would expect. I suggest you email the admissions departments with details of the system in your country and the qualifications you have/expect to achieve, and ask them for advice

Thank you for your advice! I have already written to the university I am interested in, but I received no response. I guess I must be more insistent, but I am not sure if I should send them the same emails or write others from scratch.
Reply 3
Hi which uni in Scotland offers the course? I'd be interested in that too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Diana Jalea
Thank you for your advice! I have already written to the university I am interested in, but I received no response. I guess I must be more insistent, but I am not sure if I should send them the same emails or write others from scratch.
It has been quite a busy time for universities lately. If you are sure you are sending it to the right place, you could try forwarding the email you already sent, saying something like "I wondered if this had gone astray".
Reply 5
Original post by htk
Hi which uni in Scotland offers the course? I'd be interested in that too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, there is an array of universities where you can study Modern Languages. I was thinking of St. Andrew`s University which is the 3rd best university in the United Kingdom. I know the requirements are high, but it has the most interesting structure of all, as it gives you the possibility of studying three languages at the same time. Though I reckon you must have a certain degree in one of the chosen languages. I am not so sure....anyway, on the site thay say that you can start any language from scratch, apart from French.

There is also The University of Edinburgh, but as far as I remember, here you can study only two languages at once. Then, Heriot-Watt offers some interesting courses, but it is inclined more towards traducing and interpreting and applied languages. I know the sites are very ambiguous, but it`s worth spending some time and doing some research regarding these unis. What languages do you intend to study?
Reply 6
Original post by Minerva
It has been quite a busy time for universities lately. If you are sure you are sending it to the right place, you could try forwarding the email you already sent, saying something like "I wondered if this had gone astray".

I already did it :biggrin: Thank you once more!
Reply 7
Thank you! I'm hoping to study French, Spanish and either Italian or Russian

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by htk
Thank you! I'm hoping to study French, Spanish and either Italian or Russian

Posted from TSR Mobile

You`re welcome! Do you have any degree in these languages?
Reply 9
I'm sitting advanced higher French and higher Spanish this year and beginners Italian with the open university 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending