The Student Room Group

Applying to Dentistry

Do you guys think that I will be able to get in to Dentistry, in Queen Mary (Barts) or King's College London (KCL)?

AS Levels: 4 A's in Maths, Chem, Bio and Physics

A2 Level: Not done but will be doing Maths, Chem and Bio and should be predicted A* or A (most likely A*). I am dropping Physics.

UKCAT:

Verbal Reasoning - 530
Quantitative Reasoning - 750
Abstract Reasoning - 720
Decision Analysis - 520
Situational Judgement - Band 3

Work Experience: 3 Weeks in a GDP

I really want to study at either QMUL or KCL, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get a place in one of them.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Susta1nz
Do you guys think that I will be able to get in to Dentistry, in Queen Mary (Barts) or King's College London (KCL)?

A2 Level: Not done but will be doing Maths, Chem and Bio and should be predicted A* or A (most likely A*). I am dropping Physics.

UKCAT:

Verbal Reasoning - 530
Abstract Reasoning - 720
Decision Analysis - 520

I really want to study at either QMUL or KCL, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get a place in one of them.

Its quite a Low ukcat score, especially for those 2 universities
queen marys have a cut off below the top 30%
and kings rank you based on your UKCAT +gcses so its risky

i think you should apply to liverpool, bristol, sheffield and do the bmat for leeds in order to have a better chance
Reply 2
Original post by urteeththo
Its quite a Low ukcat score, especially for those 2 universities queen marys have a cut off below the top 30%and kings rank you based on your UKCAT +gcses so its riskyi think you should apply to liverpool, bristol, sheffield and do the bmat for leeds in order to have a better chance

Thing is I really really want to study in QMUL or KCL, I love both unis so do you think they may consider me at least?

UKCAT:

Verbal Reasoning - 530
Abstract Reasoning - 720
Decision Analysis - 520

Have you only done 4AS levels and 3 A2s? Your UCAS tariff isn't that good and your UKCAT isn't either. The two admissions criteria are below average for the applicant to Barts and I honestly don't think it's worth applying there. Not sure about KCl but they definately make decent use of the UKCAT.
I also want to apply for QM and kings, these are my stats:
GCSE's - 9A* AB
AS -AAAA
A2 predicted -A*A*A* (A* epq)
Ukcat - 690
Is it good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Pikki1234
I also want to apply for QM and kings, these are my stats:
GCSE's - 9A* AB
AS -AAAA
A2 predicted -A*A*A* (A* epq)
Ukcat - 690
Is it good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be that's a ucas tariff of at least 620 which is amazing and you're ukcat is above qmul requirements. You also have strong academics which is ideal for Kings.

On the QMUL website they have a document with the stats for 2015 admissions and people got interviews with lower so I say go for it (:
Original post by Manexopi
Should be that's a ucas tariff of at least 620 which is amazing and you're ukcat is above qmul requirements. You also have strong academics which is ideal for Kings.

On the QMUL website they have a document with the stats for 2015 admissions and people got interviews with lower so I say go for it (:

Thanks!
I think my ucas tariff is around 580, should that be okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Manexopi

550, not sure where you're getting that from...

Original post by Pikki1234
Thanks!
I think my ucas tariff is around 580, should that be okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say it's worth a shot to be honest. Don't know what it's like with dentistry but I heard from someone applying to medicine at Barts that a UKCAT of 700 and UCAS of 500 was enough for an interview. I'm not sure how KCl do it tbh...
Original post by Docjones1
550, not sure where you're getting that from...

I would say it's worth a shot to be honest. Don't know what it's like with dentistry but I heard from someone applying to medicine at Barts that a UKCAT of 700 and UCAS of 500 was enough for an interview. I'm not sure how KCl do it tbh...

Thanks!
I've read on the website for kings that they only require applicants to have A*AA but then apparently they don't then take in your grades into account, so they focus more on personal statement & referenc, gcses etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
So if I got around 7/8 A*'s in GCSE and 4 A's at AS level and my A2 predictions are 3 A*'s then how many UCAS tariff points do I have?

Do you think my only option is to keep physics on A2? I'd rather be sure to get 3 A*'s rather than something like 4 A's. Also my personal statement should be good so won't they look at that also?

I have seen a dental student in Barts with 610 UKCAT score, not sure of his tariff.

Also, I have basically near the same grades as Pikki, so my UCAS tariff should be same no? Or is it because I want to drop Physics?
So if I got around 7/8 A*'s in GCSE and 4 A's at AS level and my A2 predictions are 3 A*'s then how many UCAS tariff points do I have?

Do you think my only option is to keep physics on A2? I'd rather be sure to get 3 A*'s rather than something like 4 A's. Also my personal statement should be good so won't they look at that also?

I have seen a dental student in Barts with 610 UKCAT score, not sure of his tariff.

Also, I have basically near the same grades as Pikki, so my UCAS tariff should be same no? Or is it because I want to drop Physics?

Hi, yeah we would have a similar ucas tariff but because I did additional maths I have like 20 extra points, so if your ucas tariff would be around 550. What Ukcat score did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

480 I think.
140*3+60
Reply 12
Score 670 is that any good - so upset worked really hard.
Will I still be able to apply for Dentistry? Which universitys? I wanted Queen Marys , manchester and kings????
Sorry forgot to mention I am a graudate entry
Original post by hmaker
Score 670 is that any good - so upset worked really hard.
Will I still be able to apply for Dentistry? Which universitys? I wanted Queen Marys , manchester and kings????
Sorry forgot to mention I am a graudate entry

Queen mary highly depends on your UCAS tariff... not sure about other two. What AS levels have you got and have you done the EPQ or certified music grades?
Reply 14
Guys I got:

GCSE: 7 A*'s + 2 A's
AS Level: 4 A's - Maths, Chem, Bio
A2 Level: Predicted A*'s in all subjects.

UKCAT:

Verbal Reasoning - 530
Abstract Reasoning - 720
Decision Analysis - 520

I am also from a 'deprived' area - Tower Hamlets and go to a school which is improving but not as well achieving as other schools. I also have free school lunches. Will they not consider any of these?

I really want to drop Physics but is it 100% needed if I want to apply to QMUL or KCL? My form tutor had a meeting with admissions from Cambridge and they said that they don't really care about the 4th A level and just want relevant subjects - this was mainly for the high end subjects but this is also with all Russel group unis and they flag students each time they meet either a deprived area, free school lunches etc.
Reply 15
Queen mary highly depends on your UCAS tariff... not sure about other two. What AS levels have you got and have you done the EPQ or certified music grades?

Applying as a graduate student . Do you think 670 is good enough score.
Original post by hmaker
Applying as a graduate student . Do you think 670 is good enough score.

Honestly I'm not sure because the UKCAT isn't the same as the one for graduates is it?
Reply 17
Honestly I'm not sure because the UKCAT isn't the same as the one for graduates is it?

What do you think about me? I listed everything in around 3 posts up
Guys I got:

GCSE: 7 A*'s + 2 A's
AS Level: 4 A's - Maths, Chem, Bio
A2 Level: Predicted A*'s in all subjects.

UKCAT:

Verbal Reasoning - 530
Abstract Reasoning - 720
Decision Analysis - 520

I am also from a 'deprived' area - Tower Hamlets and go to a school which is improving but not as well achieving as other schools. I also have free school lunches. Will they not consider any of these?

I really want to drop Physics but is it 100% needed if I want to apply to QMUL or KCL? My form tutor had a meeting with admissions from Cambridge and they said that they don't really care about the 4th A level and just want relevant subjects - this was mainly for the high end subjects but this is also with all Russel group unis and they flag students each time they meet either a deprived area, free school lunches etc.

you dont even need a fourth A level, physics at A2 will be hard- especially if you dont like it
im sure you'll be fine without it,otherwise it would have been a requirement
Reply 19
Original post by urteeththo
you dont even need a fourth A level, physics at A2 will be hard- especially if you dont like it
im sure you'll be fine without it,otherwise it would have been a requirement

That's what I thought. But I thought the low UKCAT scores in some sections may put me down... that's it. Are you certain (I know you can't be certain but...)? I just really am so confused and struggling with this decision.

Quick Reply

Latest