The Student Room Group

I've had 50+ hours of driving lessons and still struggling!

Not really a question just wanted to see if anyone else is going through the same thing. My driving instructor is ok (I know loads of people that have passed with her). I'm not too bad at driving (my test is booked for Oct), however she still has to break for me on roundabouts as well as keep having to remind me about stupid mistakes I keep making. Hopefully I pass!
Original post by jasminejones13
however she still has to break for me on roundabouts as well as keep having to remind me about stupid mistakes I keep making. Hopefully I pass!

What? That's a bit concerning. Are you coming up to them too fast or just forgetting to break?

Make a list of little mistakes you make and focus on getting one or two right each lesson. You'll get the hang of it.

I would say with that amount of time, if you don't pass in October, perhaps try a new instructor. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if you don't, I'd question the effectiveness of whoever is teaching you.
Not really a question just wanted to see if anyone else is going through the same thing. My driving instructor is ok (I know loads of people that have passed with her). I'm not too bad at driving (my test is booked for Oct), however she still has to break for me on roundabouts as well as keep having to remind me about stupid mistakes I keep making. Hopefully I pass!

I have done about 25 hours, but haven't booked a practice test yet, as I failed the theory one. :mad: That is the shame, because I feel pretty confident on the road. You know what helped me was after each lesson I recalled everything what I did and talked to myself, what should I do for next time. For example, avoid changing the gear to fast or don't forget Mirror-Signal-Manouvre technique. Or write all you mistakes in the notebook, read them and concentrate on avoiding them for the next lesson.

As you already booked the practice test, I assume you passed the theory. How did you prepare for the Hazard perception part?
Original post by Igor_Sukhorukov
I have done about 25 hours, but haven't booked a practice test yet, as I failed the theory one. :mad: That is the shame, because I feel pretty confident on the road. You know what helped me was after each lesson I recalled everything what I did and talked to myself, what should I do for next time. For example, avoid changing the gear to fast or don't forget Mirror-Signal-Manouvre technique. Or write all you mistakes in the notebook, read them and concentrate on avoiding them for the next lesson.

As you already booked the practice test, I assume you passed the theory. How did you prepare for the Hazard perception part?

Yes, I passed my theory about a month ago. Honestly, I didn't realize that I had to revise for the Hazard Perception part until my driving instructor asked me how many marks I was getting on average haha. I borrowed a 'DVSA Guide To' DVD ROM disc off someone. It helps you get use to what you have to do. I think the whole Hazard Perception section is a bit fluky though. Sometimes you see the hazard before they think you should see it etc. Thank you for your response :smile:
Original post by Historicity
What? That's a bit concerning. Are you coming up to them too fast or just forgetting to break?

Make a list of little mistakes you make and focus on getting one or two right each lesson. You'll get the hang of it.

I would say with that amount of time, if you don't pass in October, perhaps try a new instructor. I'm sure you'll be fine, but if you don't, I'd question the effectiveness of whoever is teaching you.

Thank you- and yes quite concerning haha. No, it's just that I get confused with when I can join (some cars don't indicate when they're leaving, some roundabouts you have to only focus on whats coming towards you on the outer lane- not both). And yeah, if I don't pass in Oct I'll think about changing instructors...
Reply 5
do you have anyone you can drive about with/practise?
I swear to god this is mainly how I managed to pass my test: went out driving MOST nights with my dad - all around the area where the test is based and made sure I knew every single speed limit, I probably knew it extra because I failed it 3 times a few years ago so I knew more of where I went wrong and it was all mainly knowing the speed limit and the roads.
Also when doing manoeuvres I stopped as soon as I saw a car approaching -- seems so weird and pointless if the car is far away but I passed my test by doing this.
Also try automatic if you're just desperate to be able to drive....I didn't think much of it then I realised basically every new decent car is automatic anyway....in the future every car will be automatic, it's just pointless dealing with the stress of gears when you just need to be able to pass the goddamn test. Even if it doesn't feel like gears are that much of an extra thing.
Reply 6
on junctions and roundabouts on the test I just waited for it to be extra clear, made sure no car was anywhere near. I asked my instructor repeatedly about this and he probably thought I was stupid but he just explained basically it's better to be waiting than pulling out when the examiners can deem it too close.
I got really stressed about pulling up and driving off too - which they make you do about 5 times on the test.....but you just have to wait completely until it's clear and don't worry or get stressed that you're holding on too long.....

it's kind of strange because in real life people would probably signal for a car to let them out.... but on a test you're not allowed to unnecessarily affect someone else's speed.....at least if it's busy the waiting is taking time up in your test. :wink:
lel ramble here...but this is just what I found...cause I found extremely stressful:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Galaxies
I swear to god this is mainly how I managed to pass my test: went out driving MOST nights with my dad - all around the area where the test is based and made sure I knew every single speed limit, I probably knew it extra because I failed it 3 times a few years ago so I knew more of where I went wrong and it was all mainly knowing the speed limit and the roads.
Also when doing manoeuvres I stopped as soon as I saw a car approaching -- seems so weird and pointless if the car is far away but I passed my test by doing this.
Also try automatic if you're just desperate to be able to drive....I didn't think much of it then I realised basically every new decent car is automatic anyway....in the future every car will be automatic, it's just pointless dealing with the stress of gears when you just need to be able to pass the goddamn test. Even if it doesn't feel like gears are that much of an extra thing.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone other than my instructor to drive with... I would love to be able to practice everyday haha...

I'm in no rush to pass really, just want it to be over and done with. Thank you for your response. And yeah, I'm sure most cars are gonna be automatic in the near future...
on junctions and roundabouts on the test I just waited for it to be extra clear, made sure no car was anywhere near. I asked my instructor repeatedly about this and he probably thought I was stupid but he just explained basically it's better to be waiting than pulling out when the examiners can deem it too close.
I got really stressed about pulling up and driving off too - which they make you do about 5 times on the test.....but you just have to wait completely until it's clear and don't worry or get stressed that you're holding on too long.....

it's kind of strange because in real life people would probably signal for a car to let them out.... but on a test you're not allowed to unnecessarily affect someone else's speed.....at least if it's busy the waiting is taking time up in your test. :wink:
lel ramble here...but this is just what I found...cause I found extremely stressful:smile:

Thank you so much. Haha, I think I just find driving stressful in general- I'm sure I'll get use to it though with more practice. In some ways I hope there's gonna be a bit of traffic so some of my time is taken up haha (joking of course- maybe...). :smile:

Unfortunately your first car probably won't be a 'decent one'. It's important to learn manual because you can always adapt to automatic, but you can't go from automatic to manual without lessons. No matter how desperate to drive you are, you're probably gonna end up inconveniencing yourself in the future.
Thank you so much. Haha, I think I just find driving stressful in general- I'm sure I'll get use to it though with more practice. In some ways I hope there's gonna be a bit of traffic so some of my time is taken up haha (joking of course- maybe...). :smile:

OP, the most important thing when it comes to passing is being calm at all times, even if you make a mistake. As long as you quickly recover you'll only get a minor. You've just gotta make a mantra of the things you find difficult, and get really familiar with the area you'll be driving in. It's what I did, and I managed first time.
Original post by Alaric III
Unfortunately your first car probably won't be a 'decent one'. It's important to learn manual because you can always adapt to automatic, but you can't go from automatic to manual without lessons. No matter how desperate to drive you are, you're probably gonna end up inconveniencing yourself in the future.

OP, the most important thing when it comes to passing is being calm at all times, even if you make a mistake. As long as you quickly recover you'll only get a minor. You've just gotta make a mantra of the things you find difficult, and get really familiar with the area you'll be driving in. It's what I did, and I managed first time.

Thank you. Fingers crossed haha :smile:

Plenty of indecent crappy cars are automatic though. And I really don't think anyone is inconveniencing themselves by doing automatic. My car is an automatic old volvo - so there is choice of cheaper lower insurance band cars. Plus then it also saves money on the overpriced tests & lessons if it's easier.
I desperately needed to be able to drive due to where I live. Plus taking and retaking the manual test a few years ago and dealing with about 3 nasty inpatient instructors (god knows why these people are 'instructors':wink: really traumatised me from bothering for a while.
What's the big deal new drivers having to do manual? unless someone is going to be some professional driver of some lorry... I honestly wish we started being more like USA with the driving test....UK is one of the most notoriously difficult in the world, totally ridiculous as it also depends on the examiners mood unfortunately.
(edited 8 years ago)
starting my diving lessons on the 19th, and roughly know the concept of driving. any ideas of what awaits for me??
Reply 13

I used to be in that situation and i found out (for myself) that the problems lie within me. Then i asked myself the mistakes and the reason why, then focus on solving each by each. Then, thing is done... just like it has to be :biggrin:
Original post by digitalangel18
It took me a little over a year to pass but I did it first time. 3 days before passing my drivers test I nearly crashed on a roundabout so I am clearly an erratic driver. On the day of just remember safety is the most important thing! I was hunched over the wheel like an old woman constantly checking mirrors and being aware of my surroundings. Even though I stalled 3 times as I returned I safely sorted the situation and surprisingly passed... GOOD LUCK

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by pascal122
starting my diving lessons on the 19th, and roughly know the concept of driving. any ideas of what awaits for me??

Sorry for the late reply- hope you got on okay :smile:

I've had around about the same amount of driving lessons as you, if not more. I think my nerves get I the way and I worry a lot. My test is at the beginning of October and my instructor told me that if I did fail it would be because of silly mistakes I make. I hate roundabouts by the way, but I think making sure you scan the roundabout properly as you approach it is good as you adjust your speed appropriately x
My test is next Fri. Hopefully I'll be okay. I didn't do too bad on my mock last week but it's still the roundabouts! I still struggle to judge- I'm over cautious but at the same time I still 'only just make it' on some occasions haha. Fingers crossed I pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Life's trying to tell you that you're gonna be rich one day and you'll never need to drive a car because you'll have a chauffeur.
Original post by Starvation13
Life's trying to tell you that you're gonna be rich one day and you'll never need to drive a car because you'll have a chauffeur.

Yes! I love this. Thank you haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending