The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When do applicants generally find out if they have been called to interview and how important are interviews if you have perfect grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nichole199810
Is there a college in Oxford that admits more people, for modern languages and that is closer to the central part ?

Lots of colleges meet these criteria, but you could try Wadham, Queen's, New, Exeter or Lincoln
Original post by furthermathsel
When do applicants generally find out if they have been called to interview and how important are interviews if you have perfect grades?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got my interview invitation on the 18th November (just over 2 weeks before the interview date) although I can't say that'll be true for all subjects. How important the interview is will depend on the subject but generally speaking, they are pretty important and plenty of people with perfect grades do get rejected, unfortunately.
Original post by furthermathsel

A week or two before the interviews happen. (Interview dates can be found at
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/interviews/interview-timetable)

Interviews are a crucial part of the process - good grades are helpful, but definitely not the whole story.
Original post by fluteflute
A week or two before the interviews happen. (Interview dates can be found at
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/interviews/interview-timetable)

Interviews are a crucial part of the process - good grades are helpful, but definitely not the whole story.

Fluteflute, I wondered if you knew if Oxford sends acknowledgement of application receipt emails, and if so, how long does that generally take? Maybe sounds like a silly question, especially since everything else is so strictly timetabled, but I am mostly just curious :smile: x
Original post by antigone-
Maybe I just saw the smaller rooms, but they were much smaller than any rooms I've seen in London accomodation (which is only LSE so maybe not an accurate representation). Although there will obviously be variation. I was told by current Johns students that's where the majority stay, maybe it's changed. The rooms I saw were definitely not 200 square feet, around 100 square feet, but as I said there will be variation obviously, and I saw like 3 rooms. Otherwise I thought St Johns was really nice, the gardens were very pretty. :smile:

I thought the room I visited in St John's at open days was quite spacious. Think Magdalen was bigger though
Original post by Ivoryfall
Fluteflute, I wondered if you knew if Oxford sends acknowledgement of application receipt emails, and if so, how long does that generally take? Maybe sounds like a silly question, especially since everything else is so strictly timetabled, but I am mostly just curious :smile: x

I've been wondering the same, sent mine off on Wednesday last week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

I'd expect to get an email, but not until the end of October. Having said that, different colleges may do things differently... (for example see
http://www.sjc.ox.ac.uk/2963/Candidates'-News.html)
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an automated confirmation from the University on the 10th October and one from my college (St. Anne's) on the 24th October.
Original post by Plagioclase
I got an automated confirmation from the University on the 10th October and one from my college (St. Anne's) on the 24th October.

I just looked up mine... bizarrely there was short email that came on 21 October ("I am dropping you a quick e-mail to test your address before I send out the St John’s acknowledgement e-mail. There is no need to reply, unless you need to let me know of any impending change to your e-mail address.") followed by a much lengthier email three days later.
Original post by fluteflute
I just looked up mine... bizarrely there was short email that came on 21 October ("I am dropping you a quick e-mail to test your address before I send out the St John’s acknowledgement e-mail. There is no need to reply, unless you need to let me know of any impending change to your e-mail address.":wink: followed by a much lengthier email three days later.

Good to know! I sent my application off on the 15th and hadn't had a confirmation email and just wondered if it was something to watch out for! Since both yourself and @Plagioclase didn't receive them until October, I imagine there is no need to be concerned :smile: Thanks for the input! x

My automatic email came on the 9th October.

I got this on the 24th October:

"...This e-mail is to let you know that your application to St John’s College has been received and is now under active consideration. You are registered as wishing to read Philosophy and French (4 years)beginning in October 2015. If this information is incorrect, please contact the College as soon as possible. Here are some important points to keep in mind..."

...followed by info about written work, tests and interviews. My next email was my interview invitation which arrived on the 28th November.
(edited 8 years ago)
GCSE grades: 4 A's, 2 B's, 3 C's, 9D's
A-Levels: DDUU
Course: Medicine
College: Jesus

Spoiler

Original post by danniegee
My automatic email came on the 9th October.

I got this on the 24th October:

"...This e-mail is to let you know that your application to St John’s College has been received and is now under active consideration. You are registered as wishing to read Philosophy and French (4 years)beginning in October 2015. If this information is incorrect, please contact the College as soon as possible. Here are some important points to keep in mind..."

...followed by info about written work, tests and interviews. My next email was my interview invitation which arrived on the 28th November.

Wow, that's great! Thank you for that info! October is the time to get excited, it seems! :smile: x
Wow, that's great! Thank you for that info! October is the time to get excited, it seems! :smile: x

It gets more fun when the interview emails start coming through. I predicted the date my email would come through exactly :wink: (it was a pretty good day in general as I also got an email with my LSE offer)

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2455
I'm doing the IB but also completed an AS Statistics and received an A. I don't know whether to put my UMS for modules and overall on UCAS or not. Could someone please advise me?
Original post by rvas
I'm doing the IB but also completed an AS Statistics and received an A. I don't know whether to put my UMS for modules and overall on UCAS or not. Could someone please advise me?

Depends how high your UMS is! What scores did you get? I would only put scores down if you had very very good As in your modules, otherwise I do not think it would help your application that much/at all.
Original post by rvas

You can put your module grades in (and you must put your overall grade in), but if you want to mention your UMS that has to be done in the reference.
Original post by periodicity
Depends how high your UMS is! What scores did you get? I would only put scores down if you had very very good As in your modules, otherwise I do not think it would help your application that much/at all.

I believe that there are different (priced?) packages of information on applicants that universities can get from UCAS. Oxford takes the basic package because it does interviews. Cost vs benefit.

This basic package gives only the AS grades. This information is further weakened by the fact that if schools do not "cash in" the module grades early there will be no AS grades for their students until the end of A2 i.e. after the decision. So in many cases there is nothing to compare with.

So Oxford wont even see AS module results but it might help for other universities? Obviously, superb results in your chosen field could be in your school reference if you drop the appropriate hints. They will see that.

This is my understanding based on TSR so it could be completely wrong. Brasenose Admissions would know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pars12
I believe that there are different (priced?) packages of information on applicants that universities can get from UCAS. Oxford takes the basic package because it does interviews. Cost vs benefit.

This basic package gives only the AS grades. This information is further weakened by the fact that if schools do not "cash in" the module grades early there will be no AS grades for their students until the end of A2 i.e. after the decision. So in many cases there is nothing to compare with.

So Oxford wont even see AS module results but it might help for other universities? Obviously, superb results in your chosen field could be in your school reference if you drop the appropriate hints. They will see that.

This is my understanding based on TSR so it could be completely wrong. Brasenose Admissions would know.

Ah that is interesting. I am not entirely sure either, I am just going by what my school told me to do when I was applying (they said to write them in if they were high). Apologies if I am wrong!

Latest

Trending

Trending