The Student Room Group

How much maths is invloved in business and management course

Helloo...

I'm applying to university for 2016 and have applied for business and marketing course because I thought it suited me better plus my form tutor said that her friend did Business and management and it included a lot of math so I may struggle.

Could anyone doing business and management how much math in involved and what do you do in a business and management course??
Reply 1
Original post by yolostudent
Helloo...

I'm applying to university for 2016 and have applied for business and marketing course because I thought it suited me better plus my form tutor said that her friend did Business and management and it included a lot of math so I may struggle.

Could anyone doing business and management how much math in involved and what do you do in a business and management course??
Courses vary a great deal, so it's impossible to answer your question without seeing individual course specifications.

However, if the entry requirements don't include more than GCSE maths at a decent grade, then it is fair to assume that what maths is in the course will be well within your reach. If the maths content is more demanding, the unis will expect to see AS or A Level maths, and will say so in their entry requirements.
Helloo...

Like Minerva said it varies. But apart from accounting there is not a lot of maths. It is not usually hard though so you will be fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Warrior Gene
Like Minerva said it varies. But apart from accounting there is not a lot of maths. It is not usually hard though so you will be fine.

Thank you for the reply :smile: ! one of my plans for the gap year is to do an accounting level 2 course at college before I do business in uni. Do you think this is a good idea or it's not that necessary?
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
Courses vary a great deal, so it's impossible to answer your question without seeing individual course specifications.

However, if the entry requirements don't include more than GCSE maths at a decent grade, then it is fair to assume that what maths is in the course will be well within your reach. If the maths content is more demanding, the unis will expect to see AS or A Level maths, and will say so in their entry requirements.

Yes-fair point :smile:
Thank you for the reply :smile: ! one of my plans for the gap year is to do an accounting level 2 course at college before I do business in uni. Do you think this is a good idea or it's not that necessary?

Although its not necessary but its always a good idea to know more about the subject. The thing about accounting is, if you know the basics and rules of accounting then everything becomes easy. To answer your question, its not necessary unless required by the course.
Reply 6
Original post by Warrior Gene
Although its not necessary but its always a good idea to know more about the subject. The thing about accounting is, if you know the basics and rules of accounting then everything becomes easy. To answer your question, its not necessary unless required by the course.

Yes, I guess. It's just that if I were to do a gap year I need to do something like a course or a placement/work experiment. But I also want to earn money to be able to buy the huge amount of books and also a good laptop for uni and of course if there is anything left I will use it for maintenance in uni. :h:
I wouldn't say there's maths in accounting. Some courses may hv a maths and statistics module, and that's where the maths is. There's maths also in finance and economics. And also in Operations Research and Market Research. Serious maths only if one takes Economics.
Reply 8
Original post by GandalfWhite
I wouldn't say there's maths in accounting. Some courses may hv a maths and statistics module, and that's where the maths is. There's maths also in finance and economics. And also in Operations Research and Market Research. Serious maths only if one takes Economics.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I'm doing business instead of economics. I might do AS level maths in my gap year. I am not sure yet whether if I wanna do accounting or maths in gap year but it depends on whether the college has the type of course. Right now I'm definitely leaning towards doing maths because of how useful it is. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply