The Student Room Group

It's trite to compare hungary's treatment of migrants to the holocaust

I've seen a lot of people pressuring Hungary for it's treatment of migrants and accusing it's actions of feeling a bit like the holocaust.

There's quite a big difference though, considering all Hungary is trying to do is keep the migrants out, rather than slaughter them.

It's a bit like saying that slamming the front door on a bunch of homeless men asking to sleep in your house is the same as forcing your way into the family's next door and sticking their heads in the gas oven.

Hungary may seem cold for keeping these migrants out and hindering them from enjoying the benefits they're striving for, but really their actions are neutral. It's like if you're on the street and some homeless person pleads for you to give up some spare change. It's not nice that you will more than likely just lie that you have none but it's your money, and it isn't necessarily immoral for you not to give it up to anyone who needs it more than you. It's an entirely neutral action.

If all these migrants were all in immediate danger of starvation then I could understand that it would be incredibly callous to not help them. But for the most part they're not. Few of them are refugees, only half are actually fleeing Syria. Most of them are young men who have left their families behind to look to benefit from the high paying jobs of Western Europe and the generous welfare systems.

If Hungary doesn't want to spend incredible sums of money hosting these people then that's their own decision. None of these people are entitled to anything that Hungary has. If some countries want to help the migrants out that's great, but if another doesn't then they aren't doing anything wrong. They should take in genuine refugees, children, the sick, and the decrepit, but as for the masses of young men lobbing rocks at the police placed at the borders because they feel entitled to free travel through there to get to Germany, I don't see why they should be responsible for them.
The "refugees" don't care about their children. See the video, showing them throwing away food:
https://youtu.be/UiXXFtd-SJ8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hungary - scenes reminiscent of early fascist Europe - Father Tim Curtis, Senior Lecturer in Faith and Community Work shares his thoughts
Quite

I've seen this argument used a lot in defence of muslim immigration (to not allow is akin to how we treated the Jews)

For me it's just a continuation of muslim Jew envy and doesn't add anything to the conversation apart form trying to guilt trip the guidable and side set the issue of Islamic barbarity
Original post by BaconandSauce
muslim Jew envy

:biggrin:

They do suffer so much from this
it's highly offensive towards Jewish people given that the migrants are here because Europe has decided it wants to help them, rather than these being death camps Europeans are using to imprison Arabs/Muslims/Migrants before murdering them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
I've seen a lot of people pressuring Hungary for it's treatment of migrants and accusing it's actions of feeling a bit like the holocaust.

There's quite a big difference though, considering all Hungary is trying to do is keep the migrants out, rather than slaughter them.

It's a bit like saying that slamming the front door on a bunch of homeless men asking to sleep in your house is the same as forcing your way into the family's next door and sticking their heads in the gas oven.

Hungary may seem cold for keeping these migrants out and hindering them from enjoying the benefits they're striving for, but really their actions are neutral. It's like if you're on the street and some homeless person pleads for you to give up some spare change. It's not nice that you will more than likely just lie that you have none but it's your money, and it isn't necessarily immoral for you not to give it up to anyone who needs it more than you. It's an entirely neutral action.

If all these migrants were all in immediate danger of starvation then I could understand that it would be incredibly callous to not help them. But for the most part they're not. Few of them are refugees, only half are actually fleeing Syria. Most of them are young men who have left their families behind to look to benefit from the high paying jobs of Western Europe and the generous welfare systems.

If Hungary doesn't want to spend incredible sums of money hosting these people then that's their own decision. None of these people are entitled to anything that Hungary has. If some countries want to help the migrants out that's great, but if another doesn't then they aren't doing anything wrong. They should take in genuine refugees, children, the sick, and the decrepit, but as for the masses of young men lobbing rocks at the police placed at the borders because they feel entitled to free travel through there to get to Germany, I don't see why they should be responsible for them.

And this is the key sentence. As a Hungarian, I want the government to give money to the millions of Hungarian people who don't have jobs, whose children are starving, who are drowning in debt and who are being evicted from their homes in the thousands as a result of the government's failings, not take in even more people, none of whom will be able to make a living for themselves in Hungary since there are no jobs and they don't speak the language. You cannot expect a country, which is in a horrible economic state and is survining a mass exodus (over half a million people have left the country in the last 7 years as a result of the economy) to take on more burden. It's like telling a homeless man to house other homeless people. If Angela Merkel wants to take in all these refugees, she should send them a plane ticket straight to Germoney instead of causing chaos in already depressed countries like Hungary. It isn't the migrants' fault that they are coming, of course they will come since Frau merkel has invited them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
And this is the key sentence. As a Hungarian, I want the government to give money to the millions of Hungarian people who don't have jobs, whose children are starving, who are drowning in debt and who are being evicted from their homes in the thousands as a result of the government's failings, not take in even more people, none of whom will be able to make a living for themselves in Hungary since there are no jobs and they don't speak the language. You cannot expect a country, which is in a horrible economic state and is survining a mass exodus (over half a million people have left the country in the last 7 years as a result of the economy) to take on more burden. It's like telling a homeless man to house other homeless people. If Angela Merkel wants to take in all these refugees, she should send them a plane ticket straight to Germoney instead of causing chaos in already depressed countries like Hungary. It isn't the migrants' fault that they are coming, of course they will come since Frau merkel has invited them.

Didn't realise you are Hungarian.

I slightly feel that the British media has no problem making out Hungarians to be evil neo-fascists as if that in itself is not racist. There are loads of videos of crowds of migrants charging Hungarian security, throwing rocks and breaking cordons and I really don't understand what Hungary is supposed to do, allow tens of thousands of people to create civil disorder? :confused:
Original post by Rad-Reloaded
Didn't realise you are Hungarian.

I slightly feel that the British media has no problem making out Hungarians to be evil neo-fascists as if that in itself is not racist. There are loads of videos of crowds of migrants charging Hungarian security, throwing rocks and breaking cordons and I really don't understand what Hungary is supposed to do, allow tens of thousands of people to create civil disorder? :confused:

People don't even realize what a chaos this is causing in Hungary. A few days ago, a grandmother and her grandchild DIED crossing the street as a result of being run over by human traffickers escaping from the police.
Original post by driftawaay
People don't even realize what a chaos this is causing in Hungary. A few days ago, a grandmother and her grandchild DIED crossing the street as a result of being run over by human traffickers escaping from the police.

It's like this country, Britain, has trouble showing genuine empathy for the Hungarians
(edited 8 years ago)
This morning Stephen Sackur was grilling a Hungarian minister over their handling of the crisis and the minister held his own really well.
Sackur was reduced to whinning" Arent you worried about how you are perceived by the rest of the world?"
What I wanted to see him ask Sackur was ," What would you do if tens of thousands of foreign nationals attacked the tunnel entrance at Calais and forced their way down it trying to run Willy nilly through Dover stoning police and onward into the country? All without an id card or passport in sight?
The hypocrisy is massive.
(edited 8 years ago)
when Hungary puts them in camps and gasses them by the thousands then we can talk

until then they can shut up
Reply 12
Britain forgets that some parts of Europe does not subscribe to their dogmatic internationalism. Good on Hungary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending