The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

okay so.. I'm back
I want to study law basically, but I've no idea if I'll be able to, and obviously I'm trying to go to a Russell Group Uni
For AS I got ABBB and my school are being absolutely unhelpful and have predicted me ABB at A2, even though they know I'm applying to unis that need AAA and Nottingham which wants A*AA
The uni's Im looking at are
Birmingham - AAA
Warwick - AAA
Nottingham - A*AA
York - AAA
and maybe Liverpool - ABB

Is it smart for me to only have Liverpool which is a 'guarantee' uni bc I havent met the grade requirements for the other ones, or should I apply anyways?
My personal statement is quite good I think, and for GCSE I got 5A*s 5As, and you best believe Im going to prepare so hard for LNAT so I can smash it. What do you think?? HELP
Just don't understand why people worry about their application when they've got A's & A*'s! I'm the one who should be worrying!
Original post by adegunt
okay so.. I'm back
I want to study law basically, but I've no idea if I'll be able to, and obviously I'm trying to go to a Russell Group Uni
For AS I got ABBB and my school are being absolutely unhelpful and have predicted me ABB at A2, even though they know I'm applying to unis that need AAA and Nottingham which wants A*AA
Birmingham - AAA
Warwick - AAA
Nottingham - A*AA
York - AAA

Is it smart for me to only have Liverpool which is a 'guarantee' uni bc I havent met the grade requirements for the other ones, or should I apply anyways?
My personal statement is quite good I think, and for GCSE I got 5A*s 5As, and you best believe Im going to prepare so hard for LNAT so I can smash it. What do you think?? HELP

In the subjects that you being predicted a B. what percent did you get at AS?
Original post by EmpireofRome
Are Exeter and Leeds good for Law? And which is the better of the two and how do they rank in regards to other Uni's/RG Uni'?

Thanks

They are both good, but personally I believe that Exeter may have the upper hand if you want to go down the solicitor or barrister route :smile:
Original post by LoveToArgue
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.In my GCSEs I got 11A*s and 1A, in my AS 6As (history, french, maths, bio, eng lang, general studies) and am predicted 5A*s at A2, so i've done really well in my exams up to now and have lots of law-related extracurriculars, but I'm worrying about which unis to apply to.I've chosen Oxford, Durham, Bristol, LSE and Warwick, but my head of sixth form terrified me the other day by saying that I might get loads of rejections because the unis will assume I'll get into Oxford (but I'm not so sure- I'm worried about the LNAT and interview) so won't bother offering me a place.Now I'm thinking that I should apply for a uni which is deemed 'easier' to get in to as a safer option in case I do end up getting all these rejections. However I've visited all these unis bar LSE and I really like all of them, so I don't want to swap one of the 5 for a uni I don't actually like, just for the sake of being more likely to get in. Any thoughts?

Original post by anonlad
Definitely apply to these places, pretty much all universities except Oxbridge hand out more offers than available places, partly because they anticipate that people will choose to go somewhere else over them (and partly because some may miss their offers although that's not relevant here). Because of this, they should have no problem handing you an offer, even if they have doubts over whether you'll accept it. Besides, they will also understand that there is a possibility that Oxford may not take you, and thus may want to make you an offer so that they will be your back-up; so in theory you may even find yourself getting some fast responses.

I wouldn't say don't apply because they'll assume you'll get into oxford - that's a load of bull! I know plenty of people with high, maybe not that high but easily enough, who just don't want to go to Oxbridge. Universities also don't to see any of you options so they literally can't reject cause they'll think you'll get in because they wont know.
Also not even people wit straight A*s are guaranteed a place so many universities are keen to get the 'oxford rejects' (dw i will probably be one of them! :laugh: :cry:)
Original post by adegunt
okay so.. I'm back
Birmingham - AAA
Warwick - AAA
Nottingham - A*AA
York - AAA

I'm not gonna say you shouldn't cause it's obvs your choice and I'm not the admissions or anything but that's VERY risky! I'm panicking and my predicted grades are exactly what I need! I think you should probably consider another university with ABB or lower and use the lowest as your back up as you will need to achieve your predicted grades.
About your school predicted grades, my college have explicitly said that unless you are are very close to the upper boundary your predicted grade will be the same as what you got. If your school predict what you need rather than what you will likely get, it ruins the credibility of your school and then they won't take into account the predicted grades so much from that particular school.
All that said, universities do look at other factors such as extenuating circumstances, LNAT and PS (although apparently not so much for law courses). You can find out how much universities look at other factors on their subject admissions policies.
Reply 86
Hi, I'm also applying for Law in 2016.
Predicted A* A* A for a- level
and got AAB (two marks off the last a..) :'(
I do History, Law, Politics and I dropped English Lit.

Universities i'm interested in:
Lancaster, Warwick, York, Oxford (not likely, but hey) and Birmingham
Original post by adegunt
okay so.. I'm back
Birmingham - AAA
Warwick - AAA
Nottingham - A*AA
York - AAA

Hey!
A guarantee or ''safeguard'' choice is always recommended! I would advise you to add one more uni in your guarantee list in just a case, especially when you don't fully fulfil the requirements that the other universities require! Maybe this will make you feel more safe!

I would choose Essex university for law. I have just graduated and applied to do my masters there - plenty of choices, a wide range of courses and modules. I am fully satisfied! The entry requirements for law at Essex are:

A-levels: ABB BBB, including an essay-writing subject

GCSE English: C

Just saying! The choice is yours :smile:

^Andriana
Original post by chanda01
Hi,

Can anyone offer me any advice please on the following:

GCSE grades: 9A*, 3A, 1B
AS: BCCC (extenuating circumstances)
A2 Predictions: AAA

I'm definately applying to Oxford and Manchester...

I don't know what to choose out of the following:

Birmingham - AAA
York - AAA
SOAS - AAA
KCL - A*AA
LSE - A*AA
QMUL - A*AA

Will any of the A*AA uni's even look at my application if i'm only predicted A's? What's harder to get into, KCL or LSE?

Any advice on which three to pick from the above options? The best uni's for law with likely offers? Thanks!

Also, LNAT in 3 weeks... done no prep... still waiting on a book I ordered >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! At SOAS we were ranked 10th in UK (Guardian University Guide 2015) for teaching. The nice thing about our programmes is that you can take option courses in your 2nd and possibly your 3rd year which means you can focus on Law and supplement it with another course such as history for example which will help contribute to your moral understanding, help you assess conflicting interpretations and help you build the relevant skills to make a real difference in the world. If you want to check out which type of courses you will be learning while here, check out this website http://www.soas.ac.uk/law/programmes/llblaw/

I also recommend visiting us on Open day. You can register here https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/ug/opendays/
You could really learn a lot outside the classroom too. Since SOAS is such a political playground, you can put your degree to use in a safe social environment and learn from all angles which will help you become a future successful lawyer!

Hope this helps.
Course: Law
Units: Warwick, LSE, Southampton, Exeter and Cardiff
GCSEs: 5 A*s 5 As
AS grades: AAAB
A2 Grades (predicted): Maybe A*AA/ A*A*A (not been given predicted grades yet)
EC: student leadership team, Pathways, Sutton trust summer school so on..'

Really want to go Warwick but I hope not going to a London unit will hinder my job goals at a top unit even if I get a 1st
Hi everyone!:smile: Im a newbie on TSR! Im considering a law degree at uni and im now doing A2. My predicted grades are AAB and im thinking about whether I should apply for UCL, KCL.. and whether the chance of them giving me offers is small. PLS HELP!
Reply 91
Original post by mint_chocolate
Hi everyone!:smile: Im a newbie on TSR! Im considering a law degree at uni and im now doing A2. My predicted grades are AAB and im thinking about whether I should apply for UCL, KCL.. and whether the chance of them giving me offers is small. PLS HELP!

You'll really need to be predicted their offer requirement if you want a chance at being given an offer. Could you ask your teacher to bump up your prediction to A*AA?
Original post by anonlad
You'll really need to be predicted their offer requirement if you want a chance at being given an offer. Could you ask your teacher to bump up your prediction to A*AA?

i dont think thats possible becuz they are kind of harsh on giving predicted grades:/ i guess ill just stick to the "safer unis". but many thx for ur advice:smile:
Reply 93
Original post by mint_chocolate
i dont think thats possible becuz they are kind of harsh on giving predicted grades:/ i guess ill just stick to the "safer unis". but many thx for ur advice:smile:

Ah that's a shame, if you meet the A*AA requirement you can always try next year!
Original post by aishat alli
Course: Law
Units: Warwick, LSE, Southampton, Exeter and Cardiff
GCSEs: 5 A*s 5 As
AS grades: AAAB
A2 Grades (predicted): Maybe A*AA/ A*A*A (not been given predicted grades yet)
EC: student leadership team, Pathways, Sutton trust summer school so on..'

Really want to go Warwick but I hope not going to a London unit will hinder my job goals at a top unit even if I get a 1st

Thats a good point, check out my thread titled 'universities most attended by barristers', it might help.
Hi everyone! Im a newbie on TSR! Im now doing A2 and Im planning to qpply for Warwick, York, Exeter. Does anyone know whether these unis are good with respect to accommodation, staff's teaching, etc.? And Im thinking about whether to apply for Lancaster, Surrey, UEA and Manchester as my other 2 choices. What do you guys think?? PLEASE HELPPP! THXX
Reply 96
Hey guys,
I'm applying for law, my choices being Cambridge, Durham, KCL, QMUL and York
I've already achieved my A2 grades which were A*AABB
However my Olevels where 2As 5Bs and a D. The D being in Math
I'm worried my Olevels will hold me back immensely
Do you think I have a chance at KCL, Durham or Cambridge? :/
Original post by andriana16
Hey!
A guarantee or ''safeguard'' choice is always recommended! I would advise you to add one more uni in your guarantee list in just a case, especially when you don't fully fulfil the requirements that the other universities require! Maybe this will make you feel more safe!

I would choose Essex university for law. I have just graduated and applied to do my masters there - plenty of choices, a wide range of courses and modules. I am fully satisfied! The entry requirements for law at Essex are:

A-levels: ABB BBB, including an essay-writing subject

GCSE English: C

Just saying! The choice is yours :smile:

^Andriana

Thank you, this has been really helpful!
Original post by liviward36
I'm not gonna say you shouldn't cause it's obvs your choice and I'm not the admissions or anything but that's VERY risky! I'm panicking and my predicted grades are exactly what I need! I think you should probably consider another university with ABB or lower and use the lowest as your back up as you will need to achieve your predicted grades.
About your school predicted grades, my college have explicitly said that unless you are are very close to the upper boundary your predicted grade will be the same as what you got. If your school predict what you need rather than what you will likely get, it ruins the credibility of your school and then they won't take into account the predicted grades so much from that particular school.
All that said, universities do look at other factors such as extenuating circumstances, LNAT and PS (although apparently not so much for law courses). You can find out how much universities look at other factors on their subject admissions policies.

Okay so:
After panicking and crying and feeling generally dejected, after talking to many people I've emailed a bunch of universities that I would be interested in, asking if they would make me an offer based on my predicted grades even if they don't meet the entry requirements.

SO my list now stands at:

Liverpool: ABB
Southampton: AAA (but they said my grades are fine for them to make a decision on)
Sheffield: AAA (but they said my grades are fine and I should apply)
Leicester: AAA (said the same thing)
Birmingham: AAA - said that they would be happy to consider me as they often give students the benefit of the doubt regarding grades and even more so if I had a good LNAT)

There's still places like Manchester who have said the same thing, and Lancaster and I haven't looked at Essex. But is my list more sensible do you think? or should I choose another uni that wants BBB? (But they wouldn't be the best for Law)
Has anyone heard anything from other/past applicantsthing about how long Warwick, LSE, Bristol, Oxford and Durham take to respond to Law applications? I sent my UCAS application off last week and know that the LNAT unis I've applied to (Bristol, Oxford, Durham) can't respond until after my LNAT. I was wondering if whether because Law is so competitive, they take longer to decide etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending