The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Artfanatic
Hi,

How many students have foundation and how many don't who were admitted to the Ruskin school this year. Do you have that statistic or even the data just for Brasenose?

Thanks!

Please check out the Fine Art at the Ruskin School thread on TSR - we have posted a response to this and other queries there.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Please check out the Fine Art at the Ruskin School thread on TSR - we have posted a response to this and other queries there.

I see, thank you very much for that. You see on the statistics page where you can select to filter by school type. For the Fine Art section is a foundation labelled underneath "Other" or is there some other way that schools are sectioned into State, Independent and Other?
Hi all

We thought you might like our free step-by-step guide to BMAT Section 3.

This explains how you can apply scientific reasoning and logical processes to the essay section, ensuring you score consistently highly. It's really helped a lot of people over the years, so we condensed it into a neat blog.

Happy to answer any further questions. Hope it helps!

The Medic Portal
Original post by Artfanatic
I see, thank you very much for that. You see on the statistics page where you can select to filter by school type. For the Fine Art section is a foundation labelled underneath "Other" or is there some other way that schools are sectioned into State, Independent and Other?

We checked the City & Guilds London Art School and it is classified as 'other' and so reckon that education providers of Art Foundations are classified in the same way.
Original post by Pars12
I believe that there are different (priced?) packages of information on applicants that universities can get from UCAS. Oxford takes the basic package because it does interviews. Cost vs benefit.

This basic package gives only the AS grades. This information is further weakened by the fact that if schools do not "cash in" the module grades early there will be no AS grades for their students until the end of A2 i.e. after the decision. So in many cases there is nothing to compare with.

So Oxford wont even see AS module results but it might help for other universities? Obviously, superb results in your chosen field could be in your school reference if you drop the appropriate hints. They will see that.

This is my understanding based on TSR so it could be completely wrong. Brasenose Admissions would know.

Can Brasenose admissions verify this please?
Just to check my understanding: If I put my module grades down on UCAS, Oxford won't be able to see it, as they only have the "basic" package?
anyone have any resources for the physics aptitude test (PAT)?
Lessons, questions, whatever would be helpful!
Original post by mickel_w
anyone have any resources for the physics aptitude test (PAT)?
Lessons, questions, whatever would be helpful!

Have you done all the past papers already?
Original post by Lau14
Have you done all the past papers already?

no, not yet!

Im mostly looking for lessons on stuff that isn't covered by last year's AS syllabus, so topics such as 'Elementary treatment of circular orbits under gravity including orbital speed, radius, period, centripetal acceleration, and gravitational centripetal force. Satellites; geostationary and polar orbits'

I know that once I do all the PAT past papers the physics olympiad past papers are useful too, but I'm afraid I'm nowhere near finishing those yet..
no, not yet!

Im mostly looking for lessons on stuff that isn't covered by last year's AS syllabus, so topics such as 'Elementary treatment of circular orbits under gravity including orbital speed, radius, period, centripetal acceleration, and gravitational centripetal force. Satellites; geostationary and polar orbits'

I know that once I do all the PAT past papers the physics olympiad past papers are useful too, but I'm afraid I'm nowhere near finishing those yet..

That should be on your A2 syllabus, so things like your revision guide and teachers are perhaps your best bet (although I'm sure there are videos or something online somewhere as well).

Yeah I would focus on doing all the PAT papers first and don't worry about the rest unless you run out of things to do :smile:
Original post by Lau14
That should be on your A2 syllabus, so things like your revision guide and teachers are perhaps your best bet (although I'm sure there are videos or something online somewhere as well).

Yeah I would focus on doing all the PAT papers first and don't worry about the rest unless you run out of things to do :smile:

alright, thank you.

Are you in your first year at Oxford? How did you prepare for the PAT?? Also how were your interviews if you don't mind me asking?
alright, thank you.

Are you in your first year at Oxford? How did you prepare for the PAT?? Also how were your interviews if you don't mind me asking?

I'm about to be! Don't leave for another week and a half though. Not well to be honest, I accidentally left starting past papers a bit too late and was nowhere near ready for it (I requested my score back and I was only one mark over the interview threshold!). So my advice (mostly based on things I didn't do) would be learn the content you don't know, do as many practice papers as possible, and when it feels horrible and like you'll never do any good because you're used to getting high marks all the time and now you're not just keep going. Take a few breaths or a five minute break but don't give up.

Don't really know how much detail you want, but for physics everyone has two interviews at their college (the one where they either applied to or were reallocated to) and one at a second college. They're all about 30 minutes long I think. My first two were very strongly maths based and had lots of questions (probably close to an even split between pure maths and physics). My third one was more like a long multiple part question on one topic (electric fields) that started fairly simple and got continually more complicated. Overall a lot of graph drawing was involved (also a useful skill for the PAT).
I was pretty relaxed through all of mine because I'd decided about a week before getting invited to interview that in the unlikely event I got an offer I'd turn it down (yeah, look how that worked out...) which probably helped me an awful lot. I'd say if you get an interview, do your best to be relaxed and focus on talking them through what you're thinking/doing - and take advantage of three days in Oxford! Talk to students/other applicants, go explore a bit or something.
alright, thank you.

If you haven't already seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRk3fxsjrpE

Also, I'm not a physicist so I wouldn't direct PAT questions my way. I just know that Simon very recently released this video and thought it may be of use.
If I got 2 As and 2 Bs at AS but am predicted 3A*s at A2 does it matter? Will AS hinder my chances?
Original post by politicalmind
If I got 2 As and 2 Bs at AS but am predicted 3A*s at A2 does it matter? Will AS hinder my chances?

Just apply if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Just apply if you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think i've narrowed my choices down to 2, i hope to read English and am looking for somewhere with a good party atmosphere, good library facilities
Original post by SCalver
Can Brasenose admissions verify this please?
Just to check my understanding: If I put my module grades down on UCAS, Oxford won't be able to see it, as they only have the "basic" package?

The only way ums scores can appear in a UCAS application is in either the personal statement or the school reference. It is better for the school to include these details since otherwise space in the PS is sacrificed. As has already been stated, however, on this forum, ums scores are not included in Oxford's selection criteria.
Original post by periodicity
Ah that is interesting. I am not entirely sure either, I am just going by what my school told me to do when I was applying (they said to write them in if they were high). Apologies if I am wrong!

Actually, I think you are right about the AS module grades and I was wrong.

I have attached a pdf file which looks like a slide presentation to explain Oxford's approach to contextualised data (questions on this are coming up a lot as well.) On page 8 is a form which might be the thing UCAS actually send. The pdf file is dated 2011 so it may be slightly out of date but I doubt if it has changed much.

However, UCAS do state that they check actual results from exam bodies against student submissions so theoretically it would be possible for UCAS to add the module grades without your knowledge. It is also be a bit of red herring since many (especially private) schools do not allow AS grades to be known early ("cashing in" ) so even if they know yours they have insufficient data for comparison. Cambridge asks for them on its application form so it has them for all its applicants.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
The only way ums scores can appear in a UCAS application is in either the personal statement or the school reference. It is better for the school to include these details since otherwise space in the PS is sacrificed. As has already been stated, however, on this forum, ums scores are not included in Oxford's selection criteria.

I think there is a bit of confusion arising between AS module grades and AS module UMS.

OP asked about module grades.

... I accept that it was probably me that started the confusion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lau14
I'm about to be! Don't leave for another week and a half though. Not well to be honest, I accidentally left starting past papers a bit too late and was nowhere near ready for it (I requested my score back and I was only one mark over the interview threshold!). So my advice (mostly based on things I didn't do) would be learn the content you don't know, do as many practice papers as possible, and when it feels horrible and like you'll never do any good because you're used to getting high marks all the time and now you're not just keep going. Take a few breaths or a five minute break but don't give up.

Don't really know how much detail you want, but for physics everyone has two interviews at their college (the one where they either applied to or were reallocated to) and one at a second college. They're all about 30 minutes long I think. My first two were very strongly maths based and had lots of questions (probably close to an even split between pure maths and physics). My third one was more like a long multiple part question on one topic (electric fields) that started fairly simple and got continually more complicated. Overall a lot of graph drawing was involved (also a useful skill for the PAT).
I was pretty relaxed through all of mine because I'd decided about a week before getting invited to interview that in the unlikely event I got an offer I'd turn it down (yeah, look how that worked out...) which probably helped me an awful lot. I'd say if you get an interview, do your best to be relaxed and focus on talking them through what you're thinking/doing - and take advantage of three days in Oxford! Talk to students/other applicants, go explore a bit or something.

That's great! congrats :smile:

And yeah I feel like I have started way too late.. But I might as well try, not applying could be something I would come to regret deeply in the future.
Thanks again for your advice and the clarification of the interview process! I can see how being relaxed would help out a lot, even just thinking about an interview makes me nervous :redface:
That's great! congrats :smile:

And yeah I feel like I have started way too late.. But I might as well try, not applying could be something I would come to regret deeply in the future.
Thanks again for your advice and the clarification of the interview process! I can see how being relaxed would help out a lot, even just thinking about an interview makes me nervous :redface:

Yeah, it's definitely worth a shot and you've got four more applications. No problem, and good luck! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending