The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nadzworldz
Hi, I will be studying adult nursing in September. What shoes are advised to be worn for placements? What types of shoes do student nurses generally wear? I have looked a some shoes that seem conformable, however most I'm not to keen on their appearance (I know I sound silly and fussy). But then I really would doubt what they would look like once I'm on my placement. I was also wondering to trousers usually cover the top part of the shoes too? :smile: Thank you.

Hello!

Shoes need to be black, leather and fully cover your toes in order to comply with most universities/NHS uniform policies. Comfort is of utmost importance considering you'll be doing those long shifts!

Clarks Un-Loop are a popular choice for the ladies, and although they're no fashion statement, that's ultimately not what they're for. Very few comfortable and long-lasting nursing shoes are pretty and this is a widely accepted fact among nurses I think! :P No one will be mocking you for having unfashionable shoes... In my experience, everyone's go completely unnoticed :smile:

Trousers do tend to cover up some of the shoe, but not all.

Hope that helps!
Joel
Original post by heather1807
Hi, after a children's ward in a hospital which is the second best place for a placement/work experience if wanting to do children's nursing?thanks

Try SureStart Children's centres, children's charities like The Children's Trust or Barnados or local primary schools. There's loads out there, you just have to be creative and think what experiences have transferable skills to nursing :smile: St John Ambulance or the Red Cross is also good for more medical-based stuff!
Reply 102
Hi as a nude do you deal with dead bodies? I want to do child nursing but I cannot deal with dead bodies
Original post by MAP123
Hi as a nude do you deal with dead bodies? I want to do child nursing but I cannot deal with dead bodies

I assume you mean "nurse" haha. No nudists on this thread as far as I'm aware :P

Children don't die as often as people think. I have seen the body of a dead child, I know one or two others in my group have (Out of 12 of us), however the majority haven't. That said, there is always a possibility you will encounter a dead body. If you know that you can't deal with that, and can't adjust to deal with that, then I'd gently suggest you consider doing something else :smile:
When applying to study Midwifery at University, do you HAVE to have work experience on a maternity ward/shadowing a midwife to be successful? Or is it just as okay to have had work experience in a medical practice? :smile:
Original post by teepatel
When applying to study Midwifery at University, do you HAVE to have work experience on a maternity ward/shadowing a midwife to be successful? Or is it just as okay to have had work experience in a medical practice? :smile:

Work experience in a medical practice is absolutely fine!!! Just make sure in your Personal Statement you really highlight what you have gained from that experience and why it is relevant to midwifery :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
Try SureStart Children's centres, children's charities like The Children's Trust or Barnados or local primary schools. There's loads out there, you just have to be creative and think what experiences have transferable skills to nursing :smile: St John Ambulance or the Red Cross is also good for more medical-based stuff!

Thank you, well I did an 8 month placement in a reception class last year and I'm doing a year placement in year 5 class this year and a nursery placement too, I also babysit regularly I'm also doing a first aid for baby and child course too is that sufficient I'm also maybe shadowing a health visitor
Original post by PaediatricStN
Work experience in a medical practice is absolutely fine!!! Just make sure in your Personal Statement you really highlight what you have gained from that experience and why it is relevant to midwifery :smile:

Thanks, feeling abit stressed as it's a really competitive course, and i've read an heard the most successful applicants have ALOT of ward/shadowing experience.
Original post by teepatel
Thanks, feeling abit stressed as it's a really competitive course, and i've read an heard the most successful applicants have ALOT of ward/shadowing experience.

It's not always about the experience you have, but the way you use this in your personal statement :smile: Make sure you have a backup plan just in case you are unsuccessful, too. Good luck!
Hello

I'm applying to study nursing in 2016. I am unfortunate that I have to pay for my own accommodation and living costs. Is it possible to juggle part time work whilst studying or is the course too demanding?
Original post by Faylouise86
Hello

I'm applying to study nursing in 2016. I am unfortunate that I have to pay for my own accommodation and living costs. Is it possible to juggle part time work whilst studying or is the course too demanding?

Hello, Good luck in applying to uni! How's your personal statement and what branch of nursing are you applying for? I am applying for uni and have my personal statement complete!

I know of someone that has recently gone to study nursing at uni and they have enrolled as a bank HCA in the hospital where they will be doing their placements!

I hope that helps. :smile:

Once again good luck! xxx
I applied last year and didn't get passed the interview stage. I'm applying again for children's nursing in south Wales unis and Bristol. Halls are crazy prices so probably house share if I'm lucky enough to get in!

Last year the pressure was immense and it got the better of me. This year I've gained some extra experience in a managerial role (my job!) And volunteered with the girls guides. I feel like I should get some care experience but it's hard to squeeze another days work into my week to be honest!
I applied last year and didn't get passed the interview stage. I'm applying again for children's nursing in south Wales unis and Bristol. Halls are crazy prices so probably house share if I'm lucky enough to get in!

Last year the pressure was immense and it got the better of me. This year I've gained some extra experience in a managerial role (my job!) And volunteered with the girls guides. I feel like I should get some care experience but it's hard to squeeze another days work into my week to be honest!

Aww,I am sorry to hear you didn't get a place last year, but thankfully you haven't given up. I would advise you to work on any feedback the uni's may have given you last year to beat your nerves and get a place. Have you had any previous care experience apart from the girl guides? If not, I would advise you to try and get some kind of care experience, but I understand fitting it round your current commitments can be challenging.

I really hope you get a place this year! This is my very first year of applying and I am just hoping that I can get a place. :smile: xx
Original post by futurechildnurse
Aww,I am sorry to hear you didn't get a place last year, but thankfully you haven't given up. I would advise you to work on any feedback the uni's may have given you last year to beat your nerves and get a place. Have you had any previous care experience apart from the girl guides? If not, I would advise you to try and get some kind of care experience, but I understand fitting it round your current commitments can be challenging.

I really hope you get a place this year! This is my very first year of applying and I am just hoping that I can get a place. :smile: xx

I asked for feedback but it was very vague. It just quoted the characteristics desired for nursing students etc and didnt give much personal feedback. I definitely think lack of care experience was part of it and have applied for 6 hours a week work in care so fingers crossed! It did put me off applying again as the interview process was very challenging particularly for birmingham university.
I hope i can still apply through college but as im not studying this year im not sure. Have to wait for the tutors reply.

Good luck to you though i hope you have great success
I asked for feedback but it was very vague. It just quoted the characteristics desired for nursing students etc and didnt give much personal feedback. I definitely think lack of care experience was part of it and have applied for 6 hours a week work in care so fingers crossed! It did put me off applying again as the interview process was very challenging particularly for birmingham university.
I hope i can still apply through college but as im not studying this year im not sure. Have to wait for the tutors reply.

Good luck to you though i hope you have great success

Oh, that's rather annoying! Maybe it was the lack of experience and maybe you were quiet if you completed a group interview (sorry, if that wasn't the case!) My application has a lot of experience and I'm currently working as a support worker with people with learning disabilities. I am sure they will allow you to apply, if not then you can just apply as an individual but get your reference from your college tutor.

Thank you! I just hope everything pays off in the end!xx
Reply 115
Hi, I am just looking for some advice really.
I was planning on applying for midwifery for Sept 2016, as I applied last year but was unsuccessful. However, some of the universities I wanted to apply to have now changed the entry requirements, which has left me with only one choice. I have all the necessary grades needed to apply for midwifery, but I only have a city and guilds level 2 in maths which is no longer accepted in most universities.
I was just wondering if anyone knows the best way for me to get my GCSE maths now? I am currently not in any form of education.
I was also wondering if it would still be worth me applying to the one university which accepts my level 2 maths for Sept 2016 or would it be best to wait until I get the GCSE in maths?
Thank you
Reply 116
Hi I going to be starting my adult nursing course in April 2016, I heard that the course consists of written exams, does that mean they will be multiple choice exams or do you have to actually write the answer down? I get really nervous and anxious when it comes to exams :frown:. I was also wondering what type of assignments questions do they give you?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Pink21
Hi, I am just looking for some advice really.
I was planning on applying for midwifery for Sept 2016, as I applied last year but was unsuccessful. However, some of the universities I wanted to apply to have now changed the entry requirements, which has left me with only one choice. I have all the necessary grades needed to apply for midwifery, but I only have a city and guilds level 2 in maths which is no longer accepted in most universities.
I was just wondering if anyone knows the best way for me to get my GCSE maths now? I am currently not in any form of education.
I was also wondering if it would still be worth me applying to the one university which accepts my level 2 maths for Sept 2016 or would it be best to wait until I get the GCSE in maths?
Thank you

Hiya,I would say try and enrol at a local college to study maths GCSE this academic year and try and get the C grade you need, as then you can apply this year and have your gcse maths on your application as pending!

Hope that helps and good luck!x
Original post by futurechildnurse
Oh, that's rather annoying! Maybe it was the lack of experience and maybe you were quiet if you completed a group interview (sorry, if that wasn't the case!) My application has a lot of experience and I'm currently working as a support worker with people with learning disabilities. I am sure they will allow you to apply, if not then you can just apply as an individual but get your reference from your college tutor.

Thank you! I just hope everything pays off in the end!xx

Hey hun! My nanny job didn't work out but I've got a support worker with LD interview on the 14th!! How are you finding it? It's quite different from anything I've done so far (mostly education/school based experience) so I'm quite nervous, but think it will be really great for my experience and if I need to apply against year :P (likely!!!)

Also, has it made you consider LD nursing at all?
Original post by ChancedTravels
Hey hun! My nanny job didn't work out but I've got a support worker with LD interview on the 14th!! How are you finding it? It's quite different from anything I've done so far (mostly education/school based experience) so I'm quite nervous, but think it will be really great for my experience and if I need to apply against year :P (likely!!!)

Also, has it made you consider LD nursing at all?

Hey Hun, Oh I am sorry to hear that and oh wow done, hope it goes well! Please let me know how you get on. I have just started my training for the job, so I haven't really came face to face with my clients yet, although I know what they look like (shown pics) and know their personalities, which is good to know. I very much doubt that you will have to reapply next year! I am hoping that my volunteering (youth group and potentially hospital) & my job pays off and makes them think I am a good candidate.

Will you be working with adults or children with LD? If I am honest I have thought about LD nursing but I have always wanted to work with children!

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending