The Student Room Group

Will I be able to get in to Comp Sci?

Will I be able to get in to Comp Sci in unis such as Imperial/UCL with:

- 4 A's at AS level: Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics
- 3 A*'s predicted in Maths Chem Bio for A2

Does it matter as much if I drop Physics and keep the other 3?
Original post by Susta1nz

You can get in with that. Further Maths is strongly recommended for Computer Science, particularly at Imperial, but it would still be possible to get in without.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
You can get in with that. Further Maths is strongly recommended for Computer Science, particularly at Imperial, but it would still be possible to get in without.

My school didn't offer Further Maths. Also I am from a 'deprived' area - Tower Hamlets and my school isn't the one of the best schools out there. Will they take any of that in to consideration?

Also will it affect me too badly if I drop Physics?
My school didn't offer Further Maths. Also I am from a 'deprived' area - Tower Hamlets and my school isn't the one of the best schools out there. Will they take any of that in to consideration?

Also will it affect me too badly if I drop Physics?

Oh, if it doesn't offer Further Maths then that's more understandable. You can still do it yourself through the Further Maths Support Programme but that's quite a big ask and I'd understand if you don't want to do that. And yes, they will take that contextual information into consideration. I'm looking at the entry requirements and the only subjects they mention are Maths (essential) and Further Maths (desirable) so no, I don't think it'll do any harm to drop Physics. The Maths in Mathematics is much more complex than anything you'd do in Physics, anyway.
Oh, if it doesn't offer Further Maths then that's more understandable. You can still do it yourself through the Further Maths Support Programme but that's quite a big ask and I'd understand if you don't want to do that. And yes, they will take that contextual information into consideration. I'm looking at the entry requirements and the only subjects they mention are Maths (essential) and Further Maths (desirable) so no, I don't think it'll do any harm to drop Physics. The Maths in Mathematics is much more complex than anything you'd do in Physics, anyway.

I think the OP should get his/her referee to mention that her/his school doesn't do Further Maths
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skill Twix
I think the OP should get his/her referee to mention that her/his school doesn't do Further Maths

Yes that's probably a good idea.
Yes that's probably a good idea.

(y)
That's what most unis say on their websites

Bear in mind that Imperial ask that you sit certain things if you couldnt do further maths (AEA, STEP) and have this past year included STEP grades as part of a large number of their offers.
Reply 8
Original post by Iridann
Bear in mind that Imperial ask that you sit certain things if you couldnt do further maths (AEA, STEP) and have this past year included STEP grades as part of a large number of their offers.

This year I am applying to Dentistry and I wanted to have a back up option of Comp Sci next year if I fail Dent this year and fail the UKCAT next year.

If I do end up applying for Comp Sci I will have a look at the reqs. before I need to, thanks!

I mainly wanted to know whether dropping Physics would be a problem for unis such as UCL, as I'd really like to study Comp Sci at UCL if Dentistry doesn't work out for me.
This year I am applying to Dentistry and I wanted to have a back up option of Comp Sci next year if I fail Dent this year and fail the UKCAT next year.

If I do end up applying for Comp Sci I will have a look at the reqs. before I need to, thanks!

I mainly wanted to know whether dropping Physics would be a problem for unis such as UCL, as I'd really like to study Comp Sci at UCL if Dentistry doesn't work out for me.

I would think that Physics would be preferred over Biology, but as that will obviously be more helpful for dentistry I would say that it's okay to drop Physics.
Reply 10
Original post by Iridann
I would think that Physics would be preferred over Biology, but as that will obviously be more helpful for dentistry I would say that it's okay to drop Physics.

Of course, you are right. But if they ask why I dropped Physics I can say that I thought I'd be a dentist but I actually loved comp sci and programming etc etc... I can back it up and I will still have maths. It shouldn't be a problem dropping Physics though will it?

I mean, do people with Maths, Chem, Bio at high grades get in to comp sci? Is it as long as I get a good grade in them?
Reply 11
Bumppppppp
Of course, you are right. But if they ask why I dropped Physics I can say that I thought I'd be a dentist but I actually loved comp sci and programming etc etc... I can back it up and I will still have maths. It shouldn't be a problem dropping Physics though will it?

I mean, do people with Maths, Chem, Bio at high grades get in to comp sci? Is it as long as I get a good grade in them?

Yes, but imperial would usually require you to have chosen further maths if your school offered it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending