The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone if they allow you to resit A-Levels, I got CDDd (I know its terrible) but can I still apply for GEM?

Also, Im still a first year undergraduate but medicine is my absolute dream and I won't give up on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ghost_rebel
Does anyone if they allow you to resit A-Levels, I got CDDd (I know its terrible) but can I still apply for GEM?

Also, Im still a first year undergraduate but medicine is my absolute dream and I won't give up on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some unis dont look at a levels at all presently, but that could change, what is your degree in?
Original post by HanaGEM
Some unis dont look at a levels at all presently, but that could change, what is your degree in?

Bsc in Chemistry at Bradford Uni
Hey there, i was wondering whether i had to declare my A-level grades for graduate entry if i apply to medical schools that say that they will not be part of the assessment A-levels?

They are shocking to the point where looking at them would deter any university away from me haha.

Additionally i'm thinking of applying for undergraduate entry, is it worth applying to these courses because i assume the courses focus on a levels rather than my 1st in biomedical science? If i do apply to them, would i have to put down my alevels?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got DEEcb so don't lose sleep over it. Degree class, UKCAT/GAMSAT and experience are all that matters.
Original post by chrispenguin
Hey there, i was wondering whether i had to declare my A-level grades for graduate entry if i apply to medical schools that say that they will not be part of the assessment A-levels?

They are shocking to the point where looking at them would deter any university away from me haha.

Additionally i'm thinking of applying for undergraduate entry, is it worth applying to these courses because i assume the courses focus on a levels rather than my 1st in biomedical science? If i do apply to them, would i have to put down my alevels?

Thanks

As per my above post, just declare them. A levels mean very little after university.
Thank you for responding, much appreciated! Mine were pretty bad (DDD). Would you say that they were more significant when applying to undergraduate entry courses?
Bsc in Chemistry at Bradford Uni

I think you'll be fine with that to cover your academics, just focus on your BSc, a 1st or 2:1 will make life a lot easier when applying to GEM, good luck with your studies
Thank you for responding, much appreciated! Mine were pretty bad (DDD). Would you say that they were more significant when applying to undergraduate entry courses?

If you look at the entry criteria it should help as some unis specify that you still need to meet the gcse and alevel requirements where others state that a degree supercedes all previous qualifications. I have unimpressive GCSEs and no alevels and i still meet the requirements for a reasonable number of 5 year and GEM courses.
Reply 2209
Hi All,
Can anyone offer advice on whether it is worth me aplying this year or not for medicine (4 or 5 year programmes)
GCSEs: 5A, 6B, 2C
Alevels: ABC English lit, chem, bio and an EPQ at grade B
Degree: 1st in physiotherapy

signifiant work ex as i have worked in NHS setting for 2 years as qualified physio.

UKCAT: average 598 with 620 being highest score in QR

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by hsm457
Hi All,
Can anyone offer advice on whether it is worth me aplying this year or not for medicine (4 or 5 year programmes)
GCSEs: 5A, 6B, 2C
Alevels: ABC English lit, chem, bio and an EPQ at grade B
Degree: 1st in physiotherapy

signifiant work ex as i have worked in NHS setting for 2 years as qualified physio.

UKCAT: average 598 with 620 being highest score in QR

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I can't advise about 5 year courses, but for this year the only 4 year that you would have a chance on is possibly oxford (they overlook a-levels/GCSEs if you succeed late such as in your degree) you would however have to take the BMAT.
For next year take the GAMSAT (march is better as you have the result pre-application) then you can apply to nottingham, st georges, swansea and at a push liverpool.

You could also retake the ukcat and try for warwick too.
Reply 2211
Hey! :smile: I have been reading this forum for so long and really wanted to ask you guys something :smile: Thanks in advance for the help! :smile:

I just graduated with Distinguished First in Psychology from Glasgow University and reaaaaaaally want to try for medicine - it has always been my dream. Unfortunately my UKCAT is pretty low, although I spent more than two months studying - 657 (I really suck at those types of tests). However, I have worked as an intern assistant psychologist in a psychiatric ward, as a research assistant in a neuropsychological study and also did my dissertation on neurorehabiltiation. Plus, I won the British Psychological Society Undergraduate of the Year for highest ranking student at my university and several other awards for academic excellence. So, I was wondering whether I have a chance of getting into medicine this year and which will be the best universities to apply for with such a low UKCAT. The other thing I'm really worried about is that I am from the EU so I don't have A levels in Chemistry and Biology and I'm not entirely sure what's the process of taking the exams and how long would I need to prepare for them.

Thanks so much, I would appreciate any advice! :smile:

Definitely depends on where you apply. For example 5yr Newcastle just want a 2.i honours degree, no A-level or GCSE requirements I think.

Best to put them on UCAS anyway, so it doesn't look like you missed anything off your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grad201X
Hi guys, I got 745 band 1 UKCAT (QR= 860, VR=760, AR= 700, DA=660) and a 1st at Uni. . I am planning on Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton and Barts. I think the average will be good enough but I'm a bit worried as I got 660 for DA that there might be a cutoff for minimums per section as I read on here that Warwick wanted 670 for VR no matter what your average last year. Does anyone know of anything like that?

Thanks for the help.

Your life is over, sorry. No chance.

I'm kidding. You're fine. No university other than Warwick has a subsection criteria and it's never been higher than 600. You'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Grad201X
Good to hear. Just out of interest, I thought Warwick wanted 670 for VR last year? I'm assuming you'd have a better clue seeing as you're starting there soon.

The cutoff was the mean score which I think was 600 or something. It definitely wasn't 670 as I had 600...
Original post by MJK91
The cutoff was the mean score which I think was 600 or something. It definitely wasn't 670 as I had 600...

the cut off was 570 (they sent me an email)
Reply 2216
Hey everyone. I'm quite late in applying because the decision to do this was quite recent :frown: - but it's a firm decision. I just need some feedback. IDK if it is worth applying in this round, but I really have nowhere to go and nothing to do if I choose to apply the next academic year (can't really explain the reasons).

Non-EEA citizen in Asia. Schooling in USA since a very young age (btw, no I don't live in the US, and no I can't apply to medical schools there either, and no I can't really live in my native country). Ranked first in class in high school. Near-perfect scores in the SAT reasoning test. 5 out of 5's in Advanced Placement (AP - 5= A, 4 = B, 3 =C...roughly...) Chemistry, Calculus, Statistics, English, US History, Music Theory. (lol) 3 in Spanish. 3 in Physics for the first year, tried again the next year with a 5 in Physics. I'm not sure if medical schools will not like the fact I got a 3 out of 5 in Physics the first round. The weird thing is I got a 740/800 in the SAT Subject Physics that same year I got a 3/5 in the AP test.

I have a pending High First Class in Biochemistry right now in a UK university (it is one of the top 10 universities in the QS..I will not state where it is). I was awarded prizes for both the first and second years. I was within the top 5 (not saying which rank) for both years. I landed a sandwich placement after my second year to work in a good-name lab (pertains to medical sciences). I also worked for 11 months in a cancer research institute during my gap year before starting uni, also had 2 summer placements after the 1st and 2nd year. so yes, loads of research experience good for PhDs...but for medicine?!

In high school, I had 100+ hours of volunteering experience in a hospital, plus some other volunteer work in a catholic worker house...was in music festivals, placed high in music competitions, participated in music masterclasses, orchestra, quintets, etc, also played a leading role in a drama production in school.

Did some mentoring/tutoring stuff in uni, participated in a volunteering project for science outreach in schools, have loads of presentation experience from my sandwich placement.

My problem is that in the end...correct me if I'm wrong, even though they can't really say this, they really do want internationals who took more trusted qualifications such as A-levels or IBs in school. Plus, I re-sat Physics and got a bad score in Spanish. I didn't even take AP Biology...and though I had good relevant work experience in high school, I don't really have any medically relevant volunteering/work experience in uni. My CV practically looks like a CV for a PhD placement in basic research, not a medical school! :frown:

So. I know I sound like I'm worrying loads, but I feel uneasy about the fact that most people thoughtfully prepare and plan out their application to medical schools...while I didn't. What do you guys think? Are my chances completely shot?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wg1389
Hey everyone. I'm quite late in applying because the decision to do this was quite recent :frown: - but it's a firm decision. I just need some feedback. IDK if it is worth applying in this round, but I really have nowhere to go and nothing to do if I choose to apply the next academic year (can't really explain the reasons).

Non-EEA citizen in Asia. Schooling in USA since a very young age (btw, no I don't live in the US, and no I can't apply to medical schools there either, and no I can't really live in my native country). Ranked first in class in high school. Near-perfect scores in the SAT reasoning test. 5 out of 5's in Advanced Placement (AP - 5= A, 4 = B, 3 =C...roughly...) Chemistry, Calculus, Statistics, English, US History, Music Theory. (lol) 3 in Spanish. 3 in Physics for the first year, tried again the next year with a 5 in Physics. I'm not sure if medical schools will not like the fact I got a 3 out of 5 in Physics the first round. The weird thing is I got a 740/800 in the SAT Subject Physics that same year I got a 3/5 in the AP test.

I have a pending High First Class in Biochemistry right now in a UK university (it is one of the top 10 universities in the QS..I will not state where it is). I was awarded prizes for both the first and second years. I was within the top 5 (not saying which rank) for both years. I landed a sandwich placement after my second year to work in a good-name lab (pertains to medical sciences). I also worked for 11 months in a cancer research institute during my gap year before starting uni, also had 2 summer placements after the 1st and 2nd year. so yes, loads of research experience good for PhDs...but for medicine?!

In high school, I had 100+ hours of volunteering experience in a hospital, plus some other volunteer work in a catholic worker house...was in music festivals, placed high in music competitions, participated in music masterclasses, orchestra, quintets, etc, also played a leading role in a drama production in school.

Did some mentoring/tutoring stuff in uni, participated in a volunteering project for science outreach in schools, have loads of presentation experience from my sandwich placement.

My problem is that in the end...correct me if I'm wrong, even though they can't really say this, they really do want internationals who took more trusted qualifications such as A-levels or IBs in school. Plus, I re-sat Physics and got a bad score in Spanish...and though I had good relevant work experience in high school, I don't really have any medically relevant volunteering/work experience in uni. My CV practically looks like a CV for a PhD placement in basic research, not a medical school! :frown:

So. I know I sound like I'm worrying loads, but I feel uneasy about the fact that most people thoughtfully prepare and plan out their application to medical schools...while I didn't. What do you guys think? Are my chances completely shot?

Are you looking for 4 year or 5 year courses? Guessing you are self-funded (as non-eu). Birmingham, Bristol and Cambridge don't need tests and love 1st class degrees (email them about international qualifications).

It's too late for UKCAT and GAMSAT so you'd have to apply next year for those uni's. BMAT is still open for registration so you could also apply to Imperial and Oxford.

That said, check the international student policy for each uni as some only take UK students for grad entry.
Reply 2218
Original post by neuronerd
Are you looking for 4 year or 5 year courses? Guessing you are self-funded (as non-eu). Birmingham, Bristol and Cambridge don't need tests and love 1st class degrees (email them about international qualifications).

It's too late for UKCAT and GAMSAT so you'd have to apply next year for those uni's. BMAT is still open for registration so you could also apply to Imperial and Oxford.

That said, check the international student policy for each uni as some only take UK students for grad entry.

I'm looking into both. Yup, self-funded. I'll look into Bristol.

Cambridge doesn't take internationals for the 4 year course, but in any case, I'm more interested in their MB/PhD programmed which is offered only to those on the standard course. I'm going to apply as an affiliated student to take the 5 year standard course.

Looking into the 5 year accelerated course in Imperial - I like the focus on academic medicine, and the MB/PhD programmed offered as well...

And looking into the 4 year course in Oxford. Hope to do a PhD afterwards...(don't get me wrong, I am VERY interested in clinical practice, but I want to partake in research as well - I'm not going to let all that past research experience go to waste)

So this being all said, with the standard of applicants in all 4 schools listed above...not sure if I will make it, but I'll try and see. :frown: If this sounds bad, honesty would be nice!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by neuronerd
I can't advise about 5 year courses, but for this year the only 4 year that you would have a chance on is possibly oxford (they overlook a-levels/GCSEs if you succeed late such as in your degree) you would however have to take the BMAT.
For next year take the GAMSAT (march is better as you have the result pre-application) then you can apply to nottingham, st georges, swansea and at a push liverpool.

You could also retake the ukcat and try for warwick too.

Why do you say at a push Liverpool? What is different about Liverpool to the other GAMSAT unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending