The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
It's the perfect manager for us to get and a clear improvement on what we already have.
If things still don't turn out well, at least we can say that we actually tried to make a change instead of sticking with this retard.

P.S: i got a few weird inboxes this morning, and what happened to the misc thread?
Serious modding problems here, sort it out mate.

Haven't a clue, it's not been deleted cos if it had I'd still be able to see it. Just seems to have vanished into thin air. I'll investigate when I get home and make a new one if need be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coutinho deserves to play at a better club....he has lots of talent! Great player....**** club *cough*
The irony isn't lost on me that on a night where we registered 50 shots on goal and scored once, Mario Balotelli and Iago Aspas - two of the most questionable buys by our club in recent times, which is saying something in itself - managed to score pearlers respectively.
Reply 363
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/25/steven-gerrard-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-overconfidence

But in ‘Steven Gerrard: My Story’, the influential midfielder now with the LA Galaxy points the finger at Rodgers as well.

Gerrard said: “I’ve never been able to say this in public before but I was seriously concerned that we thought we could blow Chelsea away. I sensed an over-confidence in Brendan’s team talks. We played into Chelsea’s hands. I feared it then and I know it now.”
Reply 364
Here's what I think we should be playing against Aston Villa

Ings
Firmino Coutinho Sturridge
Lucas Milner
Moreno Sakho Skrtel Clyne
Mignolet

It's a standard 4-2-3-1 but during the game, Firmino and Coutinho should be swapping and equally Ings and Sturridge should be swapping position (when one moves, the other fills in). So you have a solid base behind but a fluid front 4.
Original post by Zerforax
Here's what I think we should be playing against Aston Villa
Ings
Firmino Coutinho Sturridge
Lucas Milner
Mignolet
It's a standard 4-2-3-1 but during the game, Firmino and Coutinho should be swapping and equally Ings and Sturridge should be swapping position (when one moves, the other fills in). So you have a solid base behind but a fluid front 4.

Firmino is out with a back injury.

I'd like to see:
Sturridge Ings
Coutinho
Milner Allen
Lucas
Mignolet
Reply 366
Original post by Gob Bluth
Firmino is out with a back injury.

I'd like to see:
Sturridge Ings
Coutinho
Milner Allen
Lucas
Mignolet

Hmm that's annoying. Wonder if Rodgers thinks Allen is match fit enough? Maybe we'll see Ibe.
Reply 367
Original post by Bubzeh
So basically this new lad wants rich Arab owners that treat the club like their little play thing.

Liverpool have lost enough lately.

Don't add class to the equation.

I love how you bring up the point of honor and class, as if we are under patriotic ownership.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you do realize that the game has now evolved to foreign ownership right ?

Yes, just like Manchester City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal we are now under the reign foreign ownership.

So don't bring up values of patriotism, when just like Manchester City we are under foreign ownership.

And you refer to Manchester City being a 'play thing' right ?

So what is Liverpool to FSG ? Our owners have gone on the record and have said, ' We are not in it for profit, we are to here win'.

So according to your logic we must also be a 'play thing' to foreign ownership, something which you so patriotically oppose with your Liverpool hat on.

The only difference between our owners and Manchester City, is that Manchester City have been transformed in to an elite club which is capable of signing world class players and competing for trophies.

And before you put forward the argument ' But Well Manchester City have bought their way to success' , didn't we also participate in record breaking transfers ?

Our beloved Kenny Dalglish was signed for a British record transfer fee by Shankly, and the rest would be history.

The key to attaining success is the ability to attract players who can take our club forward, both in terms of transfers and youth development.

We in comparison have achieved diddly squat in the last 5 years since FSG have taken over, and we have pretty much regressed in comparison to the previous decade.

There proposed formula to success has always been based upon their money ball philosophy of purchasing players on low wages with high resale value.

From Selling Fernando Torres In 2011, we signed Carrol, Henderson, Downing for 75 million.

City in comparison, from 2010-2011 have signed Aguero, Silva and Yaya for a combined value 90 Million.

Chelsea signed Eden Hazard, Mata, Oscar for £81 million.

Who has seen a better return, despite us spending just 15 million less than city and 6 million less than Chelsea on the same amount of players ?

We can compete to sign world class players, just not under their money ball philosophy as they just wont pay the wages that those players would demand.

Before any one brings up location or history, we are in a similar geographical area to both Manchester clubs. We have equal and better history to United and City respectively. The only club which could possibly triumph us is Arsenal and Chelsea, because the location of London for foreign players.

You cant possibly make excuses for FSG particularly when we spent in a similar transfer fee bracket, although are net spend was considerably lower in comparison to the others.

How can you possibly defend an ownership philosophy where we spend near the 100 million mark and not sign world class players ?

In 2014, we very much repeated the same philosophy of 2011. Like Torres, we sold Suarez to fund a spending spree which resulted in us signing players with low wages, high resale value.

We finished 2nd for the first time 4-5 years and this is what we did :

Lallana - Downing
Markovic + Balotelli = Andy Carroll

Like the downing and Carroll fiasco, we blew 50 million on 3 average players, 2 which have left. And the other, who cant even make the starting eleven when Coutinho is fit. We have a £20 Million defender who cant defend in Lovren, and the only saving grace from that window is Emre Can.
Rodgers' pre-match press conference sounded like a dead man walking. As I've said previously, the guy thrives off momentum and buy-in from the players and the fans. He deals with hot streaks.

That's why he has no future with us. Because, as I've argued before, he could win ten or 11 matches on the bounce from now, but there will always be calls for his head as soon as we lose the 12th.
Reply 369
Original post by A-d-S10
I love how you bring up the point of honor and class, as if we are under patriotic ownership.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but you do realize that the game has now evolved to foreign ownership right ?

Yes, just like Manchester City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal we are now under the reign foreign ownership.

So don't bring up values of patriotism, when just like Manchester City we are under foreign ownership.

And you refer to Manchester City being a 'play thing' right ?

So what is Liverpool to FSG ? Our owners have gone on the record and have said, ' We are not in it for profit, we are to here win'.

So according to your logic we must also be a 'play thing' to foreign ownership, something which you so patriotically oppose with your Liverpool hat on.

The only difference between our owners and Manchester City, is that Manchester City have been transformed in to an elite club which is capable of signing world class players and competing for trophies.

And before you put forward the argument ' But Well Manchester City have bought their way to success' , didn't we also participate in record breaking transfers ?

Our beloved Kenny Dalglish was signed for a British record transfer fee by Shankly, and the rest would be history.

The key to attaining success is the ability to attract players who can take our club forward, both in terms of transfers and youth development.

We in comparison have achieved diddly squat in the last 5 years since FSG have taken over, and we have pretty much regressed in comparison to the previous decade.

There proposed formula to success has always been based upon their money ball philosophy of purchasing players on low wages with high resale value.

From Selling Fernando Torres In 2011, we signed Carrol, Henderson, Downing for 75 million.

City in comparison, from 2010-2011 have signed Aguero, Silva and Yaya for a combined value 90 Million.

Chelsea signed Eden Hazard, Mata, Oscar for £81 million.

Who has seen a better return, despite us spending just 15 million less than city and 6 million less than Chelsea on the same amount of players ?

We can compete to sign world class players, just not under their money ball philosophy as they just wont pay the wages that those players would demand.

Before any one brings up location or history, we are in a similar geographical area to both Manchester clubs. We have equal and better history to United and City respectively. The only club which could possibly triumph us is Arsenal and Chelsea, because the location of London for foreign players.

You cant possibly make excuses for FSG particularly when we spent in a similar transfer fee bracket, although are net spend was considerably lower in comparison to the others.

How can you possibly defend an ownership philosophy where we spend near the 100 million mark and not sign world class players ?

In 2014, we very much repeated the same philosophy of 2011. Like Torres, we sold Suarez to fund a spending spree which resulted in us signing players with low wages, high resale value.

We finished 2nd for the first time 4-5 years and this is what we did :

Lallana - Downing
Markovic + Balotelli = Andy Carroll

Like the downing and Carroll fiasco, we blew 50 million on 3 average players, 2 which have left. And the other, who cant even make the starting eleven when Coutinho is fit. We have a £20 Million defender who cant defend in Lovren, and the only saving grace from that window is Emre Can.

I have no problem with people criticising FSG or other owners but I have to say I'm still amazed that your issue with FSG is that they aren't sugar daddy owners who have pumped in a £billion in equity.

I'm not sure how you can say FSG's policy has been to buy low and sell high or base on resale value.

Also picking some of our worst signings against other clubs best signings is a childish argument. Man City also spent £40mil on Mangala, £21mil on Negredo and £26mil on Jovetic which look like poor transfers. Chelsea spent £50mil on Torres, £27mil on Cuadrado, £16mil on Luis etc

We can't convince those top players to sign for us. Gerrard's been writing in his new book about the players that the club have tried to sign like Sanchez and Kroos - we've targeted high but often failed because the club isn't an attractive option anymore.

We might have similar history and location but you conveniently forget the most important thing - current standing which we're at the elite of especially with no CL football available.

Surely the fault of failed transfers is due to the scouting team and the committee for those signings and not FSG? If they had signed more Sturridge's and Coutinho's, we'd have won the league by now.

For me, I see FSG's transfer policy in three split periods. FSG when they first bought us basically said they didn't have the expertise or knowledge to run the club from top to bottom themselves but their policy was to bring in people who could do that.

We then saw Kenny and Comolli sign players in a flawed transfer policy. They decided they wanted players based on statistics, who were preferably English but also had already played in the Premier League. You can see that in Downing, Henderson, Adam, Enrique. The failed transfer policy led to Kenny and Comolli being sacked. This was 2011/12.

The next stage was then with the transfer committee and Rodgers. We then moved into buying young players with a lot of potential - Sturridge, Coutinho, Allen, Borini, Sakho, Alberto etc. This was 2012/13 and 2013/14.

The last two summers 2014/15 and 2015/16, we've seen another shift where we've had a mix of potential but also trying to buy some quality players entering their prime - Can, Markovic, Moreno, Origi, Ings, Gomez vs Lallana, Lovren, Balotelli, Milner, Clyne, Benteke, Firmino.

The framework which FSG have given isn't an unlimited blank cheque but it's structured enough that it should work better than it is. It's the implementation by the manager and the transfer committee which has been most flawed which is skewing the results worse.

Things could be better than FSG's ownership but they could also be a hell of a lot worse too.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/25/steven-gerrard-liverpool-brendan-rodgers-overconfidence

But in ‘Steven Gerrard: My Story’, the influential midfielder now with the LA Galaxy points the finger at Rodgers as well.

Gerrard said: “I’ve never been able to say this in public before but I was seriously concerned that we thought we could blow Chelsea away. I sensed an over-confidence in Brendan’s team talks. We played into Chelsea’s hands. I feared it then and I know it now.”

Well well... Is Steven really trying to burn bridges with certain people or what!

And I miss that 2012/2013 team... Unbelievable
Original post by DiceTheSlice

ikr, that 7th place finish was an incredible year for Liverpool.
Reply 372
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Well well... Is Steven really trying to burn bridges with certain people or what!

Man needs to sell his book so he can make some money for...

You mean 2013/14? :colondollar:
I think it's done.

Rodgers talked today with dignity, but the whole press-conference had an air of inevitability and ending surrounding it. Rodgers knows that he's gone, and I don't think it matters what happens over the next three games.

The international break may prove to be quite a finite chapter end in this current period.
If we don't beat Villa tomorrow I don't expect him to still be in the job on Monday morning.
Original post by Mackay
I think it's done.

Rodgers talked today with dignity, but the whole press-conference had an air of inevitability and ending surrounding it. Rodgers knows that he's gone, and I don't think it matters what happens over the next three games.

The international break may prove to be quite a finite chapter end in this current period.

Wasn't it pointless to keep him on then? Could have got Klopp wrapped up at least a month ago and surely be in a better position atm.
Original post by Rk2k14
Wasn't it pointless to keep him on then? Could have got Klopp wrapped up at least a month ago and surely be in a better position atm.

Because a month ago we'd won our first two games and drawn away at Arsenal, as good a start as we could have hoped for.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Because a month ago we'd won our first two games and drawn away at Arsenal, as good a start as we could have hoped for.

But the signs were already there.
Original post by The Shed End
ikr, that 7th place finish was an incredible year for Liverpool.

I stand corrected. But in my defense, I said team not season :colondollar:

Man needs to sell his book so he can make some money for...

You mean 2013/14? :colondollar:

Who knows he would probably be an arrogant git devoid of any humilty when he turns 60

Book money is peanuts considering his weekly wages and stuff
Yeah Rodgers is gone sadly, his press conference just felt like he was a dead man walking. I think you'll be held to a draw against Villa and that should be the final nail in the coffin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest