The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Angry cucumber
I follow something in between of the two

Probably shot myself in the foot for when I video it lol :tongue:

Whenever I watch really strong dudes do rows from the floor their form is always sloppy as **** haha. I'm pretty sure Rippetoe actually says not to worry about that though... I think it's in PP when he's explaining why he doesn't advocate rows as a primary movement. He says something like they aren't good as a primary movement precisely because it's basically impossible to use super strict form and lift any sensible weight, and that you should just progress as you can on them and use your judgment to reset whenever the 'cheating' is too exaggerated :dontknow:
Original post by Implication
Whenever I watch really strong dudes do rows from the floor their form is always sloppy as **** haha. I'm pretty sure Rippetoe actually says not to worry about that though... I think it's in PP when he's explaining why he doesn't advocate rows as a primary movement. He says something like they aren't good as a primary movement precisely because it's basically impossible to use super strict form and lift any sensible weight, and that you should just progress as you can on them and use your judgment to reset whenever the 'cheating' is too exaggerated :dontknow:

Aye I follow that philosophy. The idea of super strict rows is somewhat difficult to achieve. I can do it with 60kg on the bar? :tongue:
Aye I follow that philosophy. The idea of super strict rows is somewhat difficult to achieve. I can do it with 60kg on the bar? :tongue:

"Difficult to achieve?" No mate, you just use the weight you can do ffs hahahaha!

EDIT: or you should just continue your ego training ha!
I call any row from the floor a Pendlay row as otherwise people assume it's just a bent over row. Glenn Pendlay teaches a super strict from-the-floor row (hence the usual naming) whereas other coaches e.g. Rippetoe advocate hip extension too.

Well yeah, I had a feeling it was a difference in terminology. I guess my point is that if you're going to put someone's name on an exercise, you should do it the way they teach/do it. Partly because it's a very specific way to name an exercise, and secondly because to a degree - albeit a very minor one nowadays - their reputation will be attached to what you do (see: everyone "doing rippetoes" and totally ****ing it up).

I'm not on some kind of crusade here or anything because obviously I don't care at all what you call it, I just genuinely thought that most people mean super strict rows when they say Pendlay row.

BTW Pendlay also taught some minor amount of back rounding in the bottom position, because the lats are also a back extensor. The more you know.
Original post by Dazzzzzla
"Difficult to achieve?" No mate, you just use the weight you can do ffs hahahaha!

I can't believe you STILL care about row form.

Did you read the post he was replying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

He eats goats and has his own bridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trap bar deads
Up to 150kg 1 x 6
1 x 8
155kg 1 x 5
Glutes firing, hard but much better

OHP
Up to 47.5kg 1 x 10
1 x 8
50kg 1 x 7

Lat pulldown
Up to 210lbs 2 x 5
Dat hypertrophy
Struggling to pull the bar down into position and get legs sorted tbh

Lateral raise
5kg DBs 1 x 8
7.5kg DBs 1 x 10
1 x 12

Neutral press
32.5kg DBs 2 x 8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe if you used a lighter weight and Full ROM :wink:
Original post by SmashConcept
I can't believe you STILL care about row form.

Hahaha one line and you all jump for joy :wink:

I care about all form... you all should.

Soz but poor ROM is pure laziness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't be arsed mate. I like to drop a line now and again to allow cucumber feel like he isn't lonely.
Original post by monsterzero
Maybe if you used a lighter weight and Full ROM :wink:

Don't get me started on you, mate.
For 2.5years it was solid

Don't let one day ruin its rep

Also for those less in the no, I do the actual ROM from shoulders to lock out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Motorbiker
If not resting paused on your shoulders between sets then no need to bother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what is full ROM?

Eye level to lockout, or clavicles to lockout (which is what I do atm).

I imagine with eye level I'd be able to add on a decent amount straight away, but at the expense of what gains?
I can't be arsed mate. I like to drop a line now and again to allow cucumber feel like he isn't lonely.

Look you've been pretty polite to me and I have nothing against you but you're being a bit of a dick and I think you should stop. Hounding someone's blog and posting things that you know they won't like (and I'm sorry but I don't believe you were just trying to be helpful this time) is just not cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clavicles/chest I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who the **** cares about rom as long as your first rep is the same as your last one.

Candito has a good video on this. It simply doesn't matter if you're consistent.
Original post by tehforum
So what is full ROM?

Eye level to lockout, or clavicles to lockout (which is what I do atm).

I imagine with eye level I'd be able to add on a decent amount straight away, but at the expense of what gains?

Upper chest

I trolled about eye level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illusionz
Who the **** cares about rom as long as your first rep is the same as your last one.

Candito has a good video on this. It simply doesn't matter if you're consistent.

Link?
Original post by illusionz

Haha I care if my first rep is **** and my last is just as bad.

You should probably care too. Haha
Haha I care if my first rep is **** and my last is just as bad.

You should probably care too. Haha

but full ROM is arbitrary

Quick Reply

Latest