The Student Room Group

best protein powder to help with lean mass?

probably a silly question, i know, but i really need some help here.

I don`t particularly like the cheapness or nastiness or lack of effect i`m seeing from the powder i use - which is (probably one of the cheapest i`ll admit) from Holland & Barrett, called precision engineered whey powder.

Does anyone know (along with my specific training of course) which powders would be more effective and better for lean mass gains?

I am "newish" to powder, so have little experience of the types. (e.g. maximuscle promax lean?)

Please help?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thats just one of the cheaper ones...its nowhere near the best.

Optimum Nutrition Gold is quite good, not sure if its the best but its got good results for me and everyone else I've seen use it. A tad expensive though.
Original post by The_Stig
Thats just one of the cheaper ones...its nowhere near the best.

Optimum Nutrition Gold is quite good, not sure if its the best but its got good results for me and everyone else I've seen use it. A tad expensive though.

How is one protein 'better' than another ffs

You've just fallen for marketing.

tbh I'm not even sure how much protein powders do. I've made progress eating whatever and not taking extra protein. I do eat a fair amount of meat because it tastes nice and I can afford it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by illusionz
How is one protein 'better' than another ffs

You've just fallen for marketing.

tbh I'm not even sure how much protein powders do. I've made progress eating whatever and not taking extra protein. I do eat a fair amount of meat because it tastes nice and I can afford it.

"Better protein" is the protein with less calories in it. Most protein shakes contain a **** load of calories as sweeteners to get rid of the **** taste. Not only this, but as a down side - when you order 2 KG of protein shake, you actually get a huge % of that as additives and other ****. Its all about how many mg of protein you actually get per "scoop" if you will, the more protein per then the better shake it is. There are also quite a few types of protein - protein isn't just a thing. There's whey, soy, casein etc and there is a difference between those for sure.

Also, protein shakes might not work for you because you are already probably consuming the protein that your body needs due to eating lots of meat as you said. Shakes are more for people who don't supply their body with adequate levels of protein or just don't have the time to eat etc.
Reply 5
Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey. It's my personal favourite, so I recommend

40g of this stuff contains 30g protein and only 140 calories!
"Better protein" is the protein with less calories in it. Most protein shakes contain a **** load of calories as sweeteners to get rid of the **** taste. Not only this, but as a down side - when you order 2 KG of protein shake, you actually get a huge % of that as additives and other ****. Its all about how many mg of protein you actually get per "scoop" if you will, the more protein per then the better shake it is. There are also quite a few types of protein - protein isn't just a thing. There's whey, soy, casein etc and there is a difference between those for sure.

Also, protein shakes might not work for you because you are already probably consuming the protein that your body needs due to eating lots of meat as you said. Shakes are more for people who don't supply their body with adequate levels of protein or just don't have the time to eat etc.

Your first paragraph is all rubbish.

Most (like all the mainstream ones) whey shakes are sub 200 kcal per 50g with 36-40g of that being protein.

The rest is fibre and a tint tiny bit of carb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow... science not even once.

Pretty much all artificial sweeteners have negligible if not zero calories, so that's just wrong.

Protein shakes don't contain sugars or complex carbs etc, that would be mass gainers.

Soy/caesin/whey just tells you the source of the protein. It's all still protein. Amino acid content has a negligible effect, the fitness industry just loves to sell gullible people lies.

Myprotein is ~80% protein

Per 100g
Energy 1757 kJ/416 kcal
Fat 7.5 g
of which saturates 5 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
of which sugars 5 g
Protein 82 g
Salt 0.38 g
(edited 8 years ago)
Would also like to know. Usually just get the cheapest one on myprotein but I'm trying to cut down my calories and it's so sweetened... Would their diet whey be any good? . Any other cheapish brands that don't have ****loads of sugar and other crap in them... Don't really care what they taste like.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Would also like to know. Usually just get the cheapest one on myprotein but I'm trying to cut down my calories and it's so sweetened... Would their diet whey be any good? . Any other cheapish brands that don't have ****loads of sugar and other crap in them... Don't really care what they taste like.

tbh if you're cutting calories then your protein powder isn't going to be an issue in the scale of the rest of your diet.

A 20g (of actual protein) serving of myprotein or gonutrition etc will have 100 calories give or take (based on brand, flavour), of which 80 is the protein. Is that 20 calories meaningful in the grand scheme of things? Nope.
wow... science not even once.

Pretty much all artificial sweeteners have negligible if not zero calories, so that's just wrong.

Protein shakes don't contain sugars or complex carbs etc, that would be mass gainers.

Soy/caesin/whey just tells you the source of the protein. It's all still protein. Amino acid content has a negligible effect, the fitness industry just loves to sell gullible people lies.

Myprotein is ~80% protein

Per 100g
Energy 1757 kJ/416 kcal
Fat 7.5 g
of which saturates 5 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
of which sugars 5 g
Protein 82 g
Salt 0.38 g

"Protein shakes don't contain sugars or complex carbs etc, that would be mass gainers."

Per 100g
Energy 1757 kJ/416 kcal
Fat 7.5 g
of which saturates 5 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
of which sugars 5 g
Protein 82 g
Salt 0.38 g

I used artificial sweeteners as a general term, most protein shakes don't use that. They use added powders etc to get the taste of whatever flavor associated.The addition of these substances to add flavor to the shake definitely increase the total calories.Pretty much all artificial sweeteners have negligible if not zero calories, so that's just wrong.

Anyway -> Artificial sweetener - Aspartame - 4 calories per gram

There are different types of protein. Protein's biological definition is a class of nitrogenous organic compounds which have molecules composed of one or more long chains of amino acids. There are structural proteins, hormonal proteins, transportation proteins and enzymes just to name a few proteins for you.

Integrated Supplements Whey Isolate Protein would be the "best protein shake" with a 83.4% concentration of protein per 100g.

Lol @ your science.
(edited 8 years ago)
"Protein shakes don't contain sugars or complex carbs etc, that would be mass gainers."

Per 100g
Energy 1757 kJ/416 kcal
Fat 7.5 g
of which saturates 5 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
of which sugars 5 g
Protein 82 g
Salt 0.38 g

I used artificial sweeteners as a general term, most protein shakes don't use that. They use added powders etc to get the taste of whatever flavor associated.The addition of these substances to add flavor to the shake definitely increase the total calories.Pretty much all artificial sweeteners have negligible if not zero calories, so that's just wrong.

There are different types of protein. Protein's biological definition is a class of nitrogenous organic compounds which have molecules composed of one or more long chains of amino acids. There are structural proteins, hormonal proteins, transportation proteins and enzymes just to name a few proteins for you.

Integrated Supplements Whey Isolate Protein would be the "best protein shake" with a 83.4% concentration of protein per 100g.

Lol @ your science.

I don't even know what to say to this. 5g of carb is 20 kcals out of 416. That's less than 5% of its calories from carbs.

This is most likely due to the fact that the process of producing whey is not 100% perfect. Same deal with fat.

The "best protein powder" you've quoted would have 1.4g of protein more per 100g and a similar carb amount. This is so negligible lol. Are you actually reading and understanding or just parroting crap?

I don't know why you've listed random protein structures when we're clearly discussing whey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
I don't even know what to say to this. 5g of carb is 20 kcals out of 416. That's less than 5% of its calories from carbs.

This is most likely due to the fact that the process of producing whey is not 100% perfect. Same deal with fat.

The "best protein powder" you've quoted would have 1.4g of protein more per 100g and a similar carb amount. This is so negligible lol. Are you actually reading and understanding or just parroting crap?

I don't know why you've listed random protein structures when we're clearly discussing whey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you seem deluded to think that protein is "one" thing and it serves one purpose. I'm proving you wrong. Doesn't matter by what margins I do so, I just proved you wrong in everything you said. All because of you preaching your bull**** wiki "science". Probably just a secondary school kid learning about how a muscle works so you think you know it all.

Good day buddy
Because you seem deluded to think that protein is "one" thing and it serves one purpose. I'm proving you wrong. Doesn't matter by what margins I do so, I just proved you wrong in everything you said. All because of you preaching your bull**** wiki "science". Probably just a secondary school kid learning about how a muscle works so you think you know it all.

Good day buddy

Lol this kid. I'm in my final year of medical school and already have a degree in sports & exercise medicine under my belt.

You must be trolling now, in which case 8/10 - got me to reply a few times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Per 100g
Energy 1757 kJ/416 kcal
Fat 7.5 g
of which saturates 5 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
of which sugars 5 g
Protein 82 g
Salt 0.38 g

Lol @ your science.

So 5% carb. That's negligible. Perhaps I should have said substantial amounts of carb, but I clearly overestimate your intellect.

Aspartame 4 calories per gram. Go look up how much is used in a powder. It's 200 times sweeter than sugar so I'd guess no more than a couple of grams per kilo, if that.

I have a degree from Cambridge with a research project on the chemistry of proteins. I know far more about them, their structure, their functions and their chemistry than you. Thanks for the teenage level explanation though, it was very insightful.

You've given a powder with 83% protein content. Do you think the extra couple of per cent makes any difference? You must be deluded. Enjoy paying over the odds for no gain.
Reply 15
Matrix protein
lmao never change TSR
Also most whey isolates are over 90% protein so that 83% one is obviously ****. 83% is high for whey concentrate.
Original post by SmashConcept
lmao never change TSR

So 5% carb. That's negligible. Perhaps I should have said substantial amounts of carb, but I clearly overestimate your intellect.

Aspartame 4 calories per gram. Go look up how much is used in a powder. It's 200 times sweeter than sugar so I'd guess no more than a couple of grams per kilo, if that.

I have a degree from Cambridge with a research project on the chemistry of proteins. I know far more about them, their structure, their functions and their chemistry than you. Thanks for the teenage level explanation though, it was very insightful.

You've given a powder with 83% protein content. Do you think the extra couple of per cent makes any difference? You must be deluded. Enjoy paying over the odds for no gain.

Nout amuses me more than when young teens wander in from the main forum and pick fights with completely uneducated opinions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RollerBall
Lol this kid. I'm in my final year of medical school and already have a degree in sports & exercise medicine under my belt.

You must be trolling now, in which case 8/10 - got me to reply a few times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh lol, already have a degree and in your final year of med school? What about the PHD in astro physics? Dont forget that kiddo

Latest