The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm applying for medicine and as my teachers aren't very familiar with the process (EU applicant), I would have a question about the grade predictions.
So we have Matura instead of A levels, which is done in 5 subjects. Would it be enough to get my predictions only from bio/chem/maths or should I also include the two languages (German, Czech)? :smile: Hope all of them would be 1 anyway (A*), but we have many new teachers who don't know me and I just don't want to argue... :wink:
Thanks for any advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems to me that the HAT and then GCSEs are most important for shortlisting. I'm going for the same course as you, by the way, and I'm also having contextual type of stuff in the reference. I don't think it will be a deal breaker but it can't hurt.
If there are two people from my school both applying for the same course (classics), does it matter if we both apply for the same college? We've both fallen for the same one! Will it affect our chances? Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Magdalen. What about you?

I'm going seriously nuts trying to finish my personal statement!
Original post by danniegee

I wanted to apply to a college which...
...was not massive, but not tiny either
...had access to a kitchen
...had wifi available in college
...was not extra formal, but wasn't really casual either
...would have a fun side but would still be a great place to study

By the way, just thought I should add that another important thing I bore in mind was whether or not colleges allowed students to live in for the entire duration of their course. This was something which I personally looked for, although it's not necessarily important for many applicants.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lau14

Yeah, it's definitely worth a shot and you've got four more applications. No problem, and good luck! :smile:

How important do you think your personal statement was? Did they question you on it at interview? My school is killing me constantly tinkering with my PS - saying its fine for other unis but need to get it really sharp for Oxford. Am I just fooling myself by thinking they will only take a brief look at it?
Original post by georgeous31
How important do you think your personal statement was? Did they question you on it at interview? My school is killing me constantly tinkering with my PS - saying its fine for other unis but need to get it really sharp for Oxford. Am I just fooling myself by thinking they will only take a brief look at it?

I talked about my Personal Statement in both my interviews - the tutors picked out a certain thing which they noticed and asked me to elaborate/asked me further questions about it. However, I did notice that the bits which the tutors were interested in were not the bits I would have expected: my reading and academic work weren't mentioned, but the fact that I said that French was a beautiful language was! It's probably best to get your Personal Statement as best as possible...if your teachers reckon it needs a little more work, I guess you may as well go for it - I doubt it will hurt your application!

They said this to me a lot too! For physics, obviously it will be taken into account but it's probably the least important part of your application (mine was still pretty terrible by the time it was sent off). No, they don't ask you about it at all really - in one interview we had a quick question at the start based on something we showed interest in in our personal statement (mine was astrophysics, so I got the spectacularly easy "explain why we see phases of the moon"!) but not all colleges will do this as far as I know and they definitely aren't going to start asking you about anything that isn't physics. Other subjects I think use the personal statement a lot more at interview, but physics mostly just likes to test you on relevant things.
Original post by madsparrow
If there are two people from my school both applying for the same course (classics), does it matter if we both apply for the same college? We've both fallen for the same one! Will it affect our chances? Thanks 😊
Posted from TSR Mobile

The short answer is no - students from the same school are admitted quite often, including sometimes applicants for the same course. Referees are not asked to rank candidates and for the different subjects, applicants have to achieve the same entry standard and so are in contention with other candidates across the University.

That said, some candidates find it psychologically uncomfortable to be applying for the same course from the same school or continue to worry that they may be at a disadvantage despite reassurances similar to those given above. Since the vast majority of Oxford students are happy with their college (according to the surveys), if this applies in your case you could always flip a coin and if you both get in, you can invite each other to different Hall suppers.
I've just got my IELTS results. First step for Oxford(and then world domination) complete^_^

Who else has the results as international applicants?
Hello,

I have no gcse's as I am do not live in England, but an equivalent grade of 95% A*. There is no module for me to fill in on the UCAS form, so I don't know how this will affect me. Can anyone help with this?

In regards to other factors pertaining to my application, I have predicted IB 45, and I believe a strong personal statement, as well as a very enthusiastic reference. How important is the reference?

What are my chances overall? I understand that this is difficult to say without having done the BMAT, but as an approximate?
Original post by madsparrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind if I ask which college it is that you both like?

I am applying to Merton for Classics 1A.

:smile:

I got to discuss my personal statement in both of my interviews, it probably made up about a third of the total interview time.
Original post by Princepieman
They seem fine from what I can tell, again the weight is like 70% MAT to 30% GCSE - so you really need to get above the average mark in that for the chance of an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Physics teacher has for some reason tuned down the number of A* predictions he gave out, and now has predicted me an A. Would a prediction of A*A*A*A be damaging to my application, compared to the original A*A*A*A*?
Original post by Inert1a
My Physics teacher has for some reason tuned down the number of A* predictions he gave out, and now has predicted me an A. Would a prediction of A*A*A*A be damaging to my application, compared to the original A*A*A*A*?

Lol

No
How much weight do AS grades carry?
Original post by politicalmind

Practically none. They just need to show you're capable of meeting the standard offer, and that your predictions are realistic.
Original post by politicalmind

More than GCSE's, not as much as aptitude tests or any other pre-requisite test (HAT/LNAT etc)

Original post by Ivoryfall
More than GCSE's, not as much as aptitude tests or any other pre-requisite test (HAT/LNAT etc)

Sorry but that isn't correct. GCSEs are one of the factors used in the admissions process, whereas AS grades aren't looked at holistically. That doesn't mean they don't matter - but they don't bear any weight in the process. :smile:
Original post by Lucilou101
Sorry but that isn't correct. GCSEs are one of the factors used in the admissions process, whereas AS grades aren't looked at holistically. That doesn't mean they don't matter - but they don't bear any weight in the process. :smile:

Ah that's interesting! I was under the impression that the reverse was true! That is also scary for someone like me who has terrible GCSE's but hope they get ignored because of my mature status, haha! :smile: Thank you for the correction! <3

Latest

Trending

Trending