The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fotmmc
Wouldnt both liverpool and exeter consider you? I got a C and emailed them and they both said its fine...

Hmm, I might email Liverpool then.. Thanks! Yeah Exeter have said its fine!
Guys, if UKCAT goes well do you think it would be worth taking the risk and applying to somewhere like Manchester even though they don't accept retakes?
I know that they have accepted people with offers who then got AAB on results day, but obviously this is after interview whereas they would know my grades before...

What do you think?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shiney101
Guys, if UKCAT goes well do you think it would be worth taking the risk and applying to somewhere like Manchester even though they don't accept retakes?
I know that they have accepted people with offers who then got AAB on results day, but obviously this is after interview whereas they would know my grades before...

What do you think?

Don't do it. Really, just don't, it's a wasted application.
Original post by AnnekaChan173

Alright fair enough.

Do you know if East Anglia accept retakes?
Alright fair enough.

Do you know if East Anglia accept retakes?

Taken directly from the website:

"A level resits will be considered if a minimum of ABB was obtained at first sitting, plus a fourth AS at grade B.

Applicants who are repeating their AS year, or all or part of any A level (thus taking their A levels over more than 2 years) are expected to achieve A* in at least one of the subjects as follows:
· Applicants who are wishing to re-sit one subject will be required to have a predicted A*
· Applicants re-sitting two A-Level subjects are required to have predicted grades of A*A
· Applicants re-sitting three A-Level subjects are required to have predicted grades of A*AA

Please note: for any subject repeated, the result should be at least one grade higher than that originally achieved."

So basically yes :smile:
Reply 265
Anyone know how Liverpool use the UKCAT? And how they select candidates for interview?
Phoned. They said they use it on a competitive basis. Thats it! They didnt give much away .
Reply 267

What do you think?

Manchester do accept resitters aslong as you achieved AAB.

This is from their website.

Policy for applicants who resit their qualifications
We consider re-sit applications, if you have achieved AAB in your previous A2 examinations, with exams taken at the same sitting after no more than 2 years of study. The A2 subjects previously achieved at AAB should include Chemistry and a second science. In order to ensure a level playing field for all applicants, re-sit applicants will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.Re-sit applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to re-sit in their personal statement, as this forms a key part of the assessment process for re-sit applicants. Information on any extenuating circumstances with supporting evidence from school/college/GP should be provided.You will also be required to re-take UKCAT and shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview.We would normally require re-sit applicants to achieve A*AA in their final aggregated results with A* achieved in the subject re-taken.
Original post by nkb01
Manchester do accept resitters aslong as you achieved AAB.

This is from their website.

Policy for applicants who resit their qualifications
We consider re-sit applications, if you have achieved AAB in your previous A2 examinations, with exams taken at the same sitting after no more than 2 years of study. The A2 subjects previously achieved at AAB should include Chemistry and a second science. In order to ensure a level playing field for all applicants, re-sit applicants will only be considered in exceptional circumstances.Re-sit applicants must acknowledge and reflect on the need to re-sit in their personal statement, as this forms a key part of the assessment process for re-sit applicants. Information on any extenuating circumstances with supporting evidence from school/college/GP should be provided.You will also be required to re-take UKCAT and shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview.We would normally require re-sit applicants to achieve A*AA in their final aggregated results with A* achieved in the subject re-taken.

But don't they require people to have extenuating circumstances? Which I don't have.
But don't they require people to have extenuating circumstances? Which I don't have.

They do, they say as much in the wall of text they have on the website. It's a bit of an arse, but what can you do :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nkb01
Anyone know how Liverpool use the UKCAT? And how they select candidates for interview?

Cut off, will interview the top 1000 applicants.
Guys if your on a gap year can you apply for a NUS card. It says on the site "in full or part time education". I really need one as well!
Reply 272
Cut off, will interview the top 1000 applicants.

Oh okay. Do you know how they use your personal statement and predictions?
Original post by nkb01
Oh okay. Do you know how they use your personal statement and predictions?

they score your PS. Idk if they really look at your predictions past AAA, though. Have you decided where you're applying?
Reply 274
they score your PS. Idk if they really look at your predictions past AAA, though. Have you decided where you're applying?

Liverpool, Exeter, Kings EMDP and Southampton BM6.

Wbu? :smile:
Original post by nkb01
Liverpool, Exeter, Kings EMDP and Southampton BM6.

Wbu? :smile:

Liverpool and Exeter high five~
BSMS and UEA too :smile:
can someone please help me
I am also a resit applicant. I achieved AAB, predicted A* for the retake. My ukcat was so bad though i got 630 :frown: is there any hope for me with the ukcat unis or is it just bmat now :frown: i feel really low because ukcat practise was going fine but on the day i think i was just so nervous :frown: please help me
I have grades AAB. Can anyone just list me out a few unis that will possibly accept me if i bring the B to A? Really stuck here as I was sure the remarks would go up to an A..
Any help would be greatttttt
Does anyone know if Exeter like you to explain your reasons for retaking in your personal statement?
Also, what sort of things do they like to see in the personal statement? Is it a main focus on skills learnt from experience and personal achievements?
Original post by Blood flood
Does anyone know if Exeter like you to explain your reasons for retaking in your personal statement?
Also, what sort of things do they like to see in the personal statement? Is it a main focus on skills learnt from experience and personal achievements?

Exeter has the most lenient resit policy of any UK medical school. They don't care why you resit or how many times you resit or what you got the first time -- all they want is for your grades to be less than two years old and for you to (preferably) be predicted the required grades for the next year if you haven't resat yet. So, no, no explanation required (although I've heard other universities like Liverpool do expect that so you should check). Have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies for more information. :smile:

I sent them an email about this and they say that in the absence of predictions, they will just assume that you're likely to get one grade higher on the resit, which is great if you have A*AB at the moment but not so great if you have AAB or ABB (or lower) because I think there's an unwritten rule that resit applicants will, without exception, get the higher A*AA offer and not the AAA offer. So it's best to get your teachers to predict you at least A*AA.

As for the personal statement, I've seen on the 'Applying with your Strengths' page on this website that they score your personal statement very lightly so I imagine it's not as huge a factor as your UKCAT and your academics when deciding whether to interview you. But you'd be best off emailing them directly because they'll have the most authoritative advice about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending