The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HCAssistant93
Why do you say at a push Liverpool? What is different about Liverpool to the other GAMSAT unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

BBB at a-level
Original post by wg1389
I'm looking into both. Yup, self-funded. I'll look into Bristol.

Cambridge doesn't take internationals for the 4 year course, but in any case, I'm more interested in their MB/PhD programmed which is offered only to those on the standard course. I'm going to apply as an affiliated student to take the 5 year standard course.

Looking into the 5 year accelerated course in Imperial - I like the focus on academic medicine, and the MB/PhD programmed offered as well...

And looking into the 4 year course in Oxford. Hope to do a PhD afterwards...(don't get me wrong, I am VERY interested in clinical practice, but I want to partake in research as well - I'm not going to let all that past research experience go to waste)

So this being all said, with the standard of applicants in all 4 schools listed above...not sure if I will make it, but I'll try and see. :frown: If this sounds bad, honesty would be nice!

have you considered doing a phd first? Make it dead easy to get in after? findaphd.com has tons often ith full funding, they start going up about no until feb/march time
Reply 2222
I sat my retest yesterday and scored unbelievably badly. I only did better on one section and scored worse in everything else, giving me an average of 640 (what I actually got in the first place -.-). Majorly ****ed up VR and got 560!!!!

So I'm afraid my 2016 entry application ends here as my only options were Warwick, Newcastle, Southampton and Barts :-/. I am so disappointed after spending so much time and money on this UKCAT.

So it's GAMSAT in March and redo UKCAT next year. Ugh. So disappointing that I can't even apply!

To those of you who have had to apply again - please give me some advice on how to not think my world is over haha!

Good luck to you all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2223
Is there anyone here considering doing the BMAT?
Reply 2224
Original post by neuronerd
have you considered doing a phd first? Make it dead easy to get in after? findaphd.com has tons often ith full funding, they start going up about no until feb/march time

Yes I have. The plan was to take a cheap shot at medicine this year, and also apply directly to PhD programmes and see what happens. The concern is whether that is too much. Should I just stick to one plan?

Also I hope to do research that is clinically relevant if I were to take on a medical career. If that is the case, wouldn't doing an MB/PhD or a PhD after MBBS be a better idea than the PhD first? Because the latter may give me the "PhD" title but I worry whether it would give me any guidance towards shaping my research into something more clinically focused.
Hi guys,

I'm applying for GEM this year. UKCAT went disastrously wrong and i averaged 580 overall (VR-720, QR-610, AR- 450, DA-540) . I got ABC in my a-levels (A in bio and B in chem). 7 A* s including maths, english, sciences at GCSE (and an A, 2Bs and a C). I can only apply at Southampton, Newcastle, Barts and Warwick (maybe Bristol). But my low UKCAT is going to hinder me. I didn't do GAMSAT. Is it worth putting in an application, or waiting till next year? Also, does Bristol have specific a-level requirements? I'm in my final year of a biomedical science degree btw.
Original post by Begum95
Hi guys,

I'm applying for GEM this year. UKCAT went disastrously wrong and i averaged 580 overall (VR-720, QR-610, AR- 450, DA-540) . I got ABC in my a-levels (A in bio and B in chem). 7 A* s including maths, english, sciences at GCSE (and an A, 2Bs and a C). I can only apply at Southampton, Newcastle, Barts and Warwick (maybe Bristol). But my low UKCAT is going to hinder me. I didn't do GAMSAT. Is it worth putting in an application, or waiting till next year? Also, does Bristol have specific a-level requirements? I'm in my final year of a biomedical science degree btw.

It's not worth it for any of the GEM courses, unless you meet Bristol or Cambridge's requirements. Best to regroup and reapply next year.
Hi! I'm an international applicant with little knowledge on GEMs. I recently got a UKCAT of 2880 or an average of 720. I don't have any of the tests (A levels? GCSE?) the locals are taking, so I think I'm relying heavily on my UKCAT score. However, I have no idea where to apply for GEMs given a limit of only 4 choices in UCAS.

For academics, I'm currently an undergraduate in my senior year having a GPA of 3.43 (I think that's equivalent to 2.1 here (?))

Sooo, where could I apply with this? Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by LorenzoPH
Hi! I'm an international applicant with little knowledge on GEMs. I recently got a UKCAT of 2880 or an average of 720. I don't have any of the tests (A levels? GCSE?) the locals are taking, so I think I'm relying heavily on my UKCAT score. However, I have no idea where to apply for GEMs given a limit of only 4 choices in UCAS.

For academics, I'm currently an undergraduate in my senior year having a GPA of 3.43 (I think that's equivalent to 2.1 here (?))

Read through these forums and google the universities. all it takes is an afternoon of research!
Also have a look at the medicine wiki pages on here
Original post by LorenzoPH

As you only have ukcat and not gamsat your quite limited anyway, i think there are only 7 that are even a possibility, warwick, southampton, newcastle, cambridge, kings, barts, and bristol. So Id check their sites and see what the entry requirements are for intrnational students
Original post by HanaGEM
As you only have ukcat and not gamsat your quite limited anyway, i think there are only 7 that are even a possibility, warwick, southampton, newcastle, cambridge, kings, barts, and bristol. So Id check their sites and see what the entry requirements are for intrnational students

Bristol and Cambridge do not accept international applicants for GEM. I don't know about the others.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Grad201X
Hi guys,

For the UCAS reference what materials do you need to provide your university advisor with to enable them to write a good reference? Also, I take it that you are able to see the reference they give before you submit your application rather than just hoping that they'll write you a good one?

Haha i wish. You don't get to see it ever unless they choose to show you. Me and my supervisor hated each other so god only knows what he wrote
*Sigh*. Oh well, so what materials did you guys send to your uni advisers to help them to write the UCAS reference?

I sent my personal statement and a list of things I'd been up to since graduation.
Sounds good.

So can I just confirm that the grad medicine funding arrangements are the same as last year's? It's just that some sites still say that 2016's funding arrangements are to be confirmed but it's late September and nothing's been said as far as I know.

still unconfirmed. trying not to think about it lol

student finance is also not open yet so really hoping nothing changes :s
Original post by MJK91
It's not worth it for any of the GEM courses, unless you meet Bristol or Cambridge's requirements. Best to regroup and reapply next year.

Yh I haven't got my hopes up. Applying again next year is probably my best bet. Thanks for your help 👍
When applying through UCAS by october 15th, do we need to add in our ukcat scores anywhere? Or do the med schools just have access to them?

Cheers
Original post by Richardjamesford
When applying through UCAS by october 15th, do we need to add in our ukcat scores anywhere? Or do the med schools just have access to them?

Cheers

UKCAT should send you an email soon asking for you to tell them what unis you're going to. Then you give them that and your UCAS ID and they send it to the universities :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
UKCAT should send you an email soon asking for you to tell them what unis you're going to. Then you give them that and your UCAS ID and they send it to the universities :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
how long do you need to study BMAT? thinking of sitting it now for Brighton and sussex undergrad but would only have just over a month to prepare?

thanks
Reply 2239
what ukcat score do you think kings grad will be after? Anyone thinking of using 2 choices for the same uni, like applying to both their undergrad and grad courses?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending