The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
No, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Thank you :h:
Does anyone know what the HAT threshold for interview was last year?
Original post by mattgreen986
Does anyone know what the HAT threshold for interview was last year?

"In the open day, the admissions tutor told us that the average mark is usually around 50 on the HAT and that less than 20 people get more than 70 on the test. He said what is important is to be on the top 70% in comparison to other candidates"

Not exactly a threshold but this is the best I could find.
Original post by SCalver
"In the open day, the admissions tutor told us that the average mark is usually around 50 on the HAT and that less than 20 people get more than 70 on the test. He said what is important is to be on the top 70% in comparison to other candidates"

Not exactly a threshold but this is the best I could find.

Thanks, are you applying to study history at Oxford?
Original post by mattgreen986
Thanks, are you applying to study history at Oxford?

Mathematics at Oxford :biggrin:
Original post by SCalver
Mathematics at Oxford :biggrin:

Good luck!!
Original post by eddso
I registered for my aptitude test the other day (ELAT) and didn't realise you had to put down a certain college so I put down one randomly - now that I've finished my personal statement etc I've looked more in depth at the colleges and relised actually i want to apply for a different one...can I put a different college on my UCAS form than what I put on my ELAT sign up form?

Hey!Same thing happened to me :biggrin: I did not fill the college section when I was applying to BMAT but today I found an email from my test centre in which were listed my details and there was also the college choice (Balliol) even if I didn't filled anything.Anyway, I think is just for an informative purpose so nothing to worry about.Correct me if I'm wrong :biggrin:
GCSE grades: 10A*s
AS grades: 4As (bio, maths, chem and french)
A2 predictions: 4A*s
Course: Medicine
College: Probably Oriel
Reply 2528
Original post by OxSarah
Hey!Same thing happened to me :biggrin: I did not fill the college section when I was applying to BMAT but today I found an email from my test centre in which were listed my details and there was also the college choice (Balliol) even if I didn't filled anything.Anyway, I think is just for an informative purpose so nothing to worry about.Correct me if I'm wrong :biggrin:

My exams officer said it wasn't setting stone when I put that down so hopefully she's right - I guess they just need to have a college to send it to so that someone can mark it!
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Do you mind if I ask which college it is that you both like?

I am applying to Merton for Classics 1A.

:smile:

Worcester! The ground are beautiful and there's a lake! :smile:
I'm applying for Classics 2 - I've never done Latin or Greek. Good luck with your application!
I have got 8,6/10 so 86% average in my 11th year. I'm now in year 12 (just started) and I'll have my exam in year 13. Would you say that 90-93% average is competitive for Medicine?
Does anyone know if many people get accepted by Oxford to study medicine with a third non-science A Level (basically not Maths or Physics)? I'd just be interested to know if it's a common occurrence or a rarity. I love Oxford and the Medicine course. Therefore, even though I'm not doing three sciences at A Level, I'll definitely be applying! It's just choosing the college and working out if there are any that actually do give preference to those with three science subjects.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2532
Original post by emem2011
Does anyone know if many people get accepted by Oxford to study medicine with a third non-science A Level (basically not Maths or Physics)? I'd just be interested to know if it's a common occurrence or a rarity. I love Oxford and the Medicine course. Therefore, even though I'm not doing three sciences at A Level, I'll definitely be applying! It's just choosing the college and working out if there are any that actually do give preference to those with three science subjects.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
If you scroll to the bottom you'll see some stats about A-Level subjects :-)
Original post by rvas
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
If you scroll to the bottom you'll see some stats about A-Level subjects :-)

Hi :biggrin:
Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it :smile:

Something I noticed was that only 10% of applicants had two sciences and one non-science subject... does anyone know why this is? Is it just the typical stereotype that you must have physics or maths? If only 7% of people who got accepted had only two science A Levels then that worries me slightly haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Hi :biggrin:
Thanks very much for your help! I really appreciate it :smile:

Something I noticed was that only 10% of applicants had two sciences and one non-science subject... does anyone know why this is? Is it just the typical stereotype that you must have physics or maths? If only 7% of people who got accepted had only two science A Levels then that worries me slightly haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

People only studying two science subjects are underrepresented in offer-holders compared to the pool of applicants but it's impossible to say whether this is causative or simply because people with only two science subjects tend to have weaker applications in general (i.e. a correlative relationship which is entirely possible) or something else.
Original post by eddso
My exams officer said it wasn't setting stone when I put that down so hopefully she's right - I guess they just need to have a college to send it to so that someone can mark it!

Hi - my school also asked for a college on the ELAT form, I put down the one I am applying to but I know my school use it to make sure they don't have half the year applying to the same college too - I'm sure you can amend it at a later date or apply elsewhere.
Have people been preparing for the Elat?
Original post by studdybuddy101

Honestly no! I've got another 2 weeks (internal deadline) to finish my personal statement so I'm basically working on that and once I've finished it I'll probably start going over past/unseen papers.
Original post by Plagioclase
People only studying two science subjects are underrepresented in offer-holders compared to the pool of applicants but it's impossible to say whether this is causative or simply because people with only two science subjects tend to have weaker applications in general (i.e. a correlative relationship which is entirely possible) or something else.

Hmm yes that's an interesting possibility too, in that overall applications are weaker especially if you take into account BMAT has both maths and physics elements. I just chose a third non-science subject because I really enjoy it. I feel as though it will make me a better all-round individual in the sense that I will be able to analyse situations and look deeper into scenarios more than if I'd chosen a different third subject. I'm just really hoping it doesn't disadvantage me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studdybuddy101

I've done some of the practice papers online, and I really like the ELAT personally, as weird as that sounds! Its nice to be able to write your own question around the key word and structure an argument you want to make. I think i'll start properly practicing next month.

Are you applying to study straight English or a joint degree?