The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah Rodgers is gone sadly, his press conference just felt like he was a dead man walking. I think you'll be held to a draw against Villa and that should be the final nail in the coffin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rk2k14
But the signs were already there.

Were they? I'm unsure.

It's very rare for a team to hit the ground running and look as formidable as City did.

We got by Stoke - a tough away day where we suffered scarring memories last year - with a screamer, and then were lucky to beat a plucky Bournemouth side but, again, we got the points and new players bedded in that little bit more.

For an hour against Arsenal, we were very good. Not excellent, admittedly, but very good. At this stage, United had only managed a couple of 1-0 victories, Arsenal had lost on the opening day, and Chelsea were already way behind City.

We were no worse than any of the top four bar City, who will surely go on and win the title.
I'll never want us to drop points in a bid for our manager to lose their job. Not even Hodgson. That's the most small club mentality thing I've ever heard.
Original post by Mackay
Were they? I'm unsure.

It's very rare for a team to hit the ground running and look as formidable as City did.

We got by Stoke - a tough away day where we suffered scarring memories last year - with a screamer, and then were lucky to beat a plucky Bournemouth side but, again, we got the points and new players bedded in that little bit more.

For an hour against Arsenal, we were very good. Not excellent, admittedly, but very good. At this stage, United had only managed a couple of 1-0 victories, Arsenal had lost on the opening day, and Chelsea were already way behind City.

We were no worse than any of the top four bar City, who will surely go on and win the title.

I meant from the end of last season to the start the signs of decline were already there. The transfer window was a chance for Rodgers to redeem himself but i don't think that has been the case.

Just think its unusual for a club like Liverpool to sack their manager within 6/7 games of the new season. Expect if from Chelsea tho.
Original post by Rk2k14
I meant from the end of last season to the start the signs of decline were already there.

Oh, I agree. Absolutely.

Bear in mind, too, that if Rodgers is sacked he'll need compensation - along with his new backroom staff which the new manager will surely get rid of.
Original post by Mackay
Oh, I agree. Absolutely.

Bear in mind, too, that if Rodgers is sacked he'll need compensation - along with his new backroom staff which the new manager will surely get rid of.

The way you've been spending money i don't think compensation would have been a problem:biggrin:.
I do like Rodgers I must say and I understand that he wants the team to play an attractive brand of football. (The 13/14 season was brilliant to watch for the most part.) But unfortunately LFC is just a step too far for him, we are a big club who have high ambitions. We want to be playing regularly in the CL against Europe's best and going toe-to-toe for the premier league. However, Rodgers just doesn't offer that to us (at least not yet in his managerial career). He seems incapable of having a solid plan B and being able to fix things when it goes tits up. We need someone who is experienced in challenging for the league and in Europe.

We've seen time and time again how Rodgers struggles to get the team over the line in Europe which just ends up negatively impacting our league form. I understand he's still very young (only 42) but that's no excuse for us to consistently come 5th/6th/7th. If Rodgers is sacked and FSG can bring in Ancelotti/Klopp then maybe we will finally get that consistency needed to finish in the top 4 and start reasserting our authority in Europe.

I sincerely hope we win tomorrow, I never like seeing the team perform poorly/lose.
Original post by Mackay
I'll never want us to drop points in a bid for our manager to lose their job. Not even Hodgson. That's the most small club mentality thing I've ever heard.

Saying I "want" us to drop points is a little far, it's more like there would be a silver lining if we did.

Although I admit I did want us to lose in the League Cup when ET started, although it's not like I'll complain if we end up somehow winning the trophy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Although I admit I did want us to lose in the League Cup when ET started, although it's not like I'll complain if we end up somehow winning the trophy...

No word of a lie I've just spent the last five minutes trying to work out who ET is, then it clicked :frown:
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah Rodgers is gone sadly, his press conference just felt like he was a dead man walking. I think you'll be held to a draw against Villa and that should be the final nail in the coffin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Villa haven't lost at Anfield in 5 years!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Villa haven't lost at Anfield in 5 years!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's win-win to be honest or there about.
If we win the match, I'm happy because we won the match.
If we lose or draw, Rodgers is highly likely to get the sack.

It's a shame to get to that point where you want the manager gone so bad.
I can just see us doing something stupid like winning 5-0 now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
It's win-win to be honest or there about.
If we win the match, I'm happy because we won the match.
If we lose or draw, Rodgers is highly likely to get the sack.

It's a shame to get to that point where you want the manager gone so bad.
I can just see us doing something stupid like winning 5-0 now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if winning means he's more likely to stay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Even if winning means he's more likely to stay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's where it gets tricky.

Very rarely does a manager get sacked whilst winning matches so as you say, if he wins today he's more likely to stay.
In addition, as has been mentioned recently Rodgers is a momentum manager.

There's a chance that a win today could start off a run of amazing form from us.
Now while that sounds like a good thing, we all know it would be only short term.
So in the end we'd still have a bad season but we'd also still have a bad manager instead of writing this season off and getting Klopp.

So yeah, short term could be good but as long as Rodgers is at the club, Liverpool in the long term will underachieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 393
I don't think FSG are the types of owners who will sack after a few bad results. They will sack when they have worked out a proper replacement.

What's the point in sacking Rodgers now if Ancelotti and Klopp say they have no interest in managing LFC? We going to put O'Driscoll in charge?
Original post by Zerforax
I don't think FSG are the types of owners who will sack after a few bad results. They will sack when they have worked out a proper replacement.

What's the point in sacking Rodgers now if Ancelotti and Klopp say they have no interest in managing LFC? We going to put O'Driscoll in charge?

Agree 100%. We won't sack Rodgers unless we have our replacement sorted.
I feel like Ancelotti is a bit of a pipe dream - he's too big to manage us in my opinion.

Scenes when we got Klopp and he leeches off Dortmund for signings.
Sakho/Hummels CB pairing :biggrin:
It could happen...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Br should be manage under 21 or something. He needs to learn how to treat players and identify talents.

Maybe after 5 years he can give the first team another shot
Reply 396
Remember when Gerrard missed a penalty on purpose to get Hodgson the sack :biggrin:

Hope we win today but if we don't, just another step closer to getting rid of the fraud.
Mixed rumours on the Owners being at Anfield. Some say they are, some saying they aren't...
Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Can, Lucas, Milner, Coutinho, Ings, Sturridge

Subs: Bogdan, Toure, Gomez, Lallana, Allen, Origi, Ibe
Reply 399
3 at the back, yawn. Another 90 mins of playing to avoid defeat

Latest