The Student Room Group

Need help on Complex Numbers!

actual qs. : The complex number w has modulus 1 and argument radians. show that (w-1)/(w+1) = itanθ

simplify
( cos + i(sin 2θ) - 1) ÷ ( cos + i(sin 2θ) + 1 )

show that it is equal to = i tanθ
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
is this fp1? and what exam board?
Would Euler's identity help?

(edited 8 years ago)
you have to "rationalise" the denominator to get rid of the imaginary component
Reply 4
Original post by HarunH1
is this fp1? and what exam board?

CIE and its Pure Maths 3
Original post by annie aw
yes, but I have applied it to the equation. (edited on my qs)

dunno I left all this **** behind when I graduated.

on your own kiddo
actual qs. : The complex number w has modulus 1 and argument radians. show that (w-1)/(w+1) = itanθ

simplify

I did it by converting into polar form and rationalising the denominator. How far have you gotten?

Original post by _Bembridge

No. A different kind of rationalising and you made a mistake.
Reply 7
i got till the part expanding the double angles.. then i got confused :s-smilie:

Original post by morgan8002
I did it by converting into polar form and rationalising the denominator. How far have you gotten?

No. A different kind of rationalising and you made a mistake.
i got till the part expanding the double angles.. then i got confused :s-smilie:

Can you type up your last line?
Reply 9
( 1 - 2sin^2θ + i (2sinθcosθ) + 1 ) ÷ ( 2cos^2θ - 1 + i (2sinθcosθ) + 1)

Can you type up your last line?

I don't get that. What did you multiply by to rationalise the denominator?
Reply 11

She hasn't multiplied anything, simply converted double angles into single angles for some obscure reason.
Reply 12

i used the double angle formula :
(1)(2)(3)

i used the double angle formula :
(1)(2)(3)

The + sign bolded above should be a - sign.
Rationalise the denominator, then use double angle fomulae if necessary. Otherwise it will get overcomplicated.

simplify

There are probably more effective solutions but here is mine (refer to it only once you're done):

Spoiler

There's a useful trick for fractions with (1±e2iθ)(1 \pm e^{2i \theta}) terms that can work a fair bit quicker than the "normal" method of rationalising.

Multiply the fraction by eiθeiθ\dfrac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{-i\theta}} (which is 1, obviously), you end up with terms of form eiθ±eiθe^{i\theta} \pm e^{-i\theta} which you can easily rewrite in terms of sin and cos theta.
Original post by DFranklin
There's a useful trick for fractions with (1±e2iθ)(1 \pm e^{2i \theta}) terms that can work a fair bit quicker than the "normal" method of rationalising.

Multiply the fraction by eiθeiθ\dfrac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{-i\theta}} (which is 1, obviously), you end up with terms of form eiθ±eiθe^{i\theta} \pm e^{-i\theta} which you can easily rewrite in terms of sin and cos theta.

You posted that one minute after I posted my method... Now I feel silly for complicating it.
Original post by Dingooose
You posted that one minute after I posted my method... Now I feel silly for complicating it.
If it makes you feel better I did it your way for about 10 years before someone posted this trick!
Reply 18
Original post by Dingooose
There are probably more effective solutions but here is mine (refer to it only once you're done):

Spoiler

Thanks! I used the same method as yours, and was stuck at simplifying it.. (sorry i actually took a peek before i'm actually done:colondollar:)
Reply 19
Original post by DFranklin

I tried your method, right after I finished the first try. And it really saves all the troubles! thank you. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending